• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion vs. Social Anxiety ---- Quiz

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've come to the conclusion that we're an odd breed of introvert. My theory is that INTJs, given our method of thinking, are the most likely introvert to, around high school or college, decide, "Forget this, I'm never going to get the things I want if I don't learn to interact!", and subsequently put "learn to socialize fluidly" on our to-do list and go out there and get it done.

Yep. And factor in a little getting burned by people for good measure. You know, "Fool me once, shame on you. Food me twice, shame on me."

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Extraversion Sociability: 30
Social Anxiety: 24

ygolo

My termites win
Sociability: 40 out of 100
Social Anxiety Disorder : 24 out of 68

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Sociability=17
Social Anxiety: 7/68

According to your results you appear to be the type of person who doesn’t socialize very often. You likely have a limited social network, and possibly aren’t really interested in extending it beyond a few close and intimate friendships. Having an active social life doesn’t appear to be an important thing to you. Chances are that when the opportunity arises to socialize among a large group of people, you’ll most likely turn it down if possible. This doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t enjoy socializing or being around people. Rather, you tend to prefer spending time with smaller groups of friends. Individuals who score similarly to you typically aren’t conversation-starters, especially with people they aren’t familiar with. In addition, they aren’t known to be exceptionally outgoing, unless among close friends.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Interesting, the INTJs I noted in this thread are very low on both tests - we're not extroverts and we're also not suffering from social anxiety.
I think this would be indicative of any type that prefers a Chart The Course interaction style. Since INTJs have been the only type to take this test until now, then yes it makes you unique. You should see a similarity with any type prefering INTJ, ISTP, ISTJ or INFJ.

As a result I would say that anyone preferring:

Behind The Scenes= Low Extraversion/Mid-High Social Anxiety
Chart The Course= Low Extraversion/Low Social Anxiety
Get Things Going=High Extraversion/Low Social Anxiety
In Charge=High Extraversion/Mid-High Social Anxiety

If this theory runs true, I would base it on the "Behind the Scene" and "In Charge" types need for control and the "Chart the Course" and "Get Things Going" types need for movement.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Sociability: 12/100 (.12 normalized)

Social Anxiety: 19/68 (.28 normalized)

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I suspect a pharmaceutical company's test to determine how much you need their product might be just a tiny bit biased.

Andy K Octopus

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am slightly introverted but I have a high degree of social anxiety, yet I have a lot of friends, a long term girlfriend and frequently go out.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Social Anxiety: 24 out of 68

I didn't feel compelled to take the Extraversion test, since the vast majority of the questions wouldn't have applied to me anyway. (I'm a recluse.)

ciphersort

MBTI Type
INTP
Sociability: 34 - decades of hard work went into that 34
Social Anxiety: 8 - think what you will

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sociability: 25

Social Anxiety: 23 out of a possible 68.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Sociability: 41/100
According to your results you appear to be the type of person who enjoys socializing with both large and smaller, more intimate groups of people. You don’t mind being around big crowds, but that doesn’t mean you’ll want to crash every party you’re invited to. Having an active social life and extending your network of friends is relatively important to you, but it isn’t the most crucial thing. You’ve managed to strike a great balance between actively involving yourself in your larger social network, and spending some quality time with a few intimate friends. Although you may not always be the conversation-starter or the “life of the party”, you are generally a very outgoing individual, whether among friends or people you are less familiar with.

Social Anxiety: 19/68
Your score suggests that you may be experiencing the symptoms of social anxiety disorder. Although the SPIN Self Test screens for the symptoms of social anxiety disorder, only a doctor can make a diagnosis for this disorder.

I appear to have particular difficulty with:
- Activities in which I am the center of attention
- Giving speeches.
- Being embarrassed or looking foolish (although I'd clarify this by saying that if I'm the one making an ass of myself it's not as bad as when someone else is deliberately humiliating me)
- Trembling or shaking (or stuttering!) in front of others.

Last edited:

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sociability
According to your results you appear to be the type of person who doesn’t socialize very often. You likely have a limited social network, and possibly aren’t really interested in extending it beyond a few close and intimate friendships. Having an active social life doesn’t appear to be an important thing to you.Chances are that when the opportunity arises to socialize among a large group of people, you’ll most likely turn it down if possible. This doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t enjoy socializing or being around people. Rather, you tend to prefer spending time with smaller groups of friends. Individuals who score similarly to you typically aren’t conversation-starters, especially with people they aren’t familiar with. In addition, they aren’t known to be exceptionally outgoing, unless among close friends.

Social Anxiety Disorder Self Test Results
Your Score: 47 out of a possible 68.
Your score suggests that you may be experiencing the symptoms of social anxiety disorder.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Me: INTP - 9 / 13 (19.12)

Key:
Type - Extraversion raw score / Social Anxiety raw score (% social anxiety)

I've omitted the posters who only submitted one result and those who do not have a listed type, as they are not useful points of comparison. Because the possible points on the tests are different, I translated the Social Anxiety results into percentages. Note that the extraversion scores are out of 100, and are the same as their percentages.

INFP - 12 / 17 (25)
INFP - 36 / 53 (77.94)
INFP - 33 / 26 (38.24)
INFP - 35 / 52 (76.47)
INFP - 25 / 35 (51.47)
INFP - 41 / 19 (27.94)
INFP - 14 / 47 (69.12)

INFJ - 34 / 18 (26.47)
INFJ - 15 / 20 (29.41)
INFJ - 25 / 23 (33.82)
INFJ - 9 / 20 (29.41)

INTP - 23 / 38 (55.88)
INTP - 16 / 7 (10.29)
INTP - 30 / 24 (35.29)
INTP - 40 / 24 (35.29)
INTP - 47 / 24 (35.29)
INTP - 12 / 19 (27.94)
INTP - 9 / 13 (19.12)

INTJ - 13 / 10 (14.71)
INTJ - 24 / 7 (10.29)
INTJ - 24 / 10 (14.71)
INTJ - 45 / 6 (8.82)
INTJ - 34 / 8 (11.76)

ISTP - 17 / 7 (10.29)

ENFP - 57 / 24 (35.29)
ENFJ - 65 / 14 (20.59)

ENTP - 53 / 11 (16.18)

(sample size) Mean scores by type

(7) INFP - 28 / 35.57 (52.31)
(4) INFJ - 20.75 / 20.25 (29.78)
(7) INTP - 25.29 / 21.29 (31.31)
(5) INTJ - 28 / 8.2 (12.06)
*(1) ISTP - 17 / 7 (10.29)
*(1) ENFP - 57 / 24 (35.29)
*(1) ENFJ - 65 / 14 (20.59)
*(1) ENTP - 53 / 11 (16.18)

(At this point, I'm discarding everything with a *. It's not representative of a trend)

Mean percentage differentials by type

INFP - +24.31
INFJ - +9.03
INTP - +6.02
INTJ - -15.94

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sociability - 36
Social Anxiety - 21

----------
A distinction for me is that while I'm rather uncomfortable in a lot of social settings (especially parties), I don't AVOID them. I just dread them. ;-) I do it despite my underlying anxiety, just because I don't want the anxiety to rule my life.

The public speaking thing - well, I don't think most people, even extroverts, naturally enjoy doing that. Public speakers/presenters who are comfortable doing it are a rare breed.

I had a former job that kinda trained the public speaking/leading skills into me, though. I was a sheep jumping into a pack of wolves. :) The job basically called for doing everything I'm not naturally comfortable at doing - giving presentations, leading hikes (leading hikes and guiding and talking to 25+ people for 3 hours!!! EEK!!!) It was terrifying initially, but by the end of the job I was much better and more confident at it, and wasn't nearly as insecure as I was at first. But do I want a job like that ever again? No, I don't. :) By the end, while I was outwardly decent at it and got some affirmative feedback, I was still kinda play-acting the whole time, because internally it just wasn't ME, and internally I was on edge and had underlying anxiety the whole time. It was, and will always be, too far out of my comfort zone and natural abilites. But it was cool/interesting to 'test'/challenge myself.