• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Toxic Masculinity Test

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm back with more bullshit.

Toxic Masculinity Test

toxic-masculinity

This makes you:

12.77% more prone to deceitfulness and arrogance than the average person.
63.69% more disposed to anger than the average person.
10.43% less heteronormative than the average person.
18.56% less homophobic than the average person.
11.62% more prone to toxic masculinity than the average person overall.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of these questions feel like a feminist looking at men and assuming the reasons behind their actions, without actually understanding their motivations in the most intentionally interpreting things the wrong way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of these questions feel like a feminist looking at men and assuming the reasons behind their actions, without actually understanding their motivations in the most intentionally interpreting things the wrong way.

And none of the 4 listed categories used as metrics are sex or gender specific.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I took this test with some trepidation. I got that I am 9.38% less toxically masculine than the average person.

My highest toxic traits are Deceitfulness-Arrogance (34%) and Anger (38%).
  • Deceitfulness-Arrogance is the opposite of the HEXACO trait Honesty-Humility: I always score in the middle range of this trait because I don't like to manipulate people but (one aspect of Honesty-Humility) and I like to follow in general the rules but I do enjoy luxury goods (not an aspect of Honesty-Humility) and I noticed that there were a lot of questions that would track this subtrait.
  • Anger here measures a dispositional tendency towards anger that is accompanied by related negative emotions such as envy, resentment, hate and disgust -- in other words Neuroticism (and yeah, I'm very neurotic). My only quibble here is that I'm also very introverted and dislike open conflict, which adds up to my preferring passive aggression to aggressive aggression: if I'm angry most people wouldn't know because I prefer to avoid people that I'm angry at and not talk to them or just be curt but polite.

But beside whatever can be said about these traits, the mistake here is conceptual: it's an error to frame toxic masculinity as a personality trait. Toxic masculinity is a social role that men are socialized and pressured to play. There are sexist men who may enjoy being toxically masculine but toxic masculinity can have real world consequences even when it's just men who feel pressured to conform to this platonic ideal (this video is incredibly funny).

In an anti-misogynistic society, where, for example, there are no gestational restrictions on abortion or men and women earn the same money for doing the same kind of work, or where there are no ridiculously high standards of proof to expel students from colleges who commit sexual assaults -- the personal sexist beliefs of some men wouldn't matter as much because the rules of society would pressure them to adjust their behavior not to discriminate against women or favor men.

If one is not born, but becomes a woman, perhaps we could say that one is not born, but becomes a (toxic in this case) man. When you make toxic masculinity into a personality trait of individual men, first of all you are forced to pass an ethical judgment on that personality trait (it's wrong to do that, but the negative consequences of toxic masculinity inevitably force one to say that it is a negative phenomenon); the solution becomes a psychological and moral reformation of toxically masculine men; it's asking something very hard to do which is changing personality; and it's rhetorically inadequate because being called toxically masculine feels like an insult (as we can see in the posts above) and alienates men who maybe could become allies for gender equality if framed as a question of unfair treatment.

Instead, we could be talking about how better to socialize boys and girls, about having laws that don't favor one group over another and about correcting historical inequities. About how to reorganize family life, mating life, education, economic life, the criminal justice system, the healthcare system, etc.

An excellent book: Down Girl -- The Logic of Misogyny by Kate Manne.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
toxic-masculinity

This makes you:

18.23% less prone to deceitfulness and arrogance than the average person.
8.31% less disposed to anger than the average person.
23.43% less heteronormative than the average person.
26.56% less homophobic than the average person.
19.38% less prone to toxic masculinity than the average person overall.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Don't some guys act this way because they feel that it's a masculine way to act, though?

I assume that's why there are completely ridiculous questions like - men should have the final say in a relationship or men should shun other men that show emotion or some other shit.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
toxic-masculinity

A bit surprised about the deceitfulness/arrogance. I suspect a deceitful person would be more likely to lie about some of those questions. Like.... I do actually prefer life now that I have money vs. when I didn't. I could see people lying about that kind of thing. Also, I don't think flattery is necessarily bad if it's honest. I guess some people might not think of honest compliments as flattery, though.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the the term "toxic masculinity" because it describes something that I think exists. Women can have some of these beliefs, but their reasons for having those beliefs isn't because they think it's "feminine" to do so. Many men that believe things in the test think it is a "masculine" way of looking at the world. I don't really see anything misandrist about the term. The term is hostile to certain traditional norms, however. Presumably, the use of the modifier "toxic" implies that there are forms of masculinity that are not toxic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
eh

toxic-masculinity

Just because I said I might consider keeping a million bucks if I didn't think I'd be caught.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The question "is a man weak if he lets others push him without fighting back" I think I answered neutrally. I took issue with the way the question was phrased. I think it is generally a good idea to not let others push one around (although I wouldn't use the word weak for someone in this situation), but that isn't the same thing as saying it's morally justified to push people around. I just happen to think it's morally justified to fight back.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The question "is a man weak if he lets others push him without fighting back" I think I answered neutrally. I took issue with the way the question was phrased. I think it is generally a good idea to not let others push one around (although I wouldn't use the word weak for someone in this situation), but that isn't the same thing as saying it's morally justified to push people around. I just happen to think it's morally justified to fight back.
I agree. I would hope anyone - male or female - would resist letting others push them around. I don't know if I would consider someone weak exactly. It could be laziness, fear, misplaced attempts to be accommodating, any of a number of reasons or motivations.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In a perfect world, no one needs to defend themselves or others. Alas, the world is imperfect.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That question was stupid. No one should let anyone push them around. This doesn’t make someone a masculine brute, it’s just about self respect and not allowing oneself to be bullied. I also think the question about having a right to know where one’s spouse is at all times is misleading. If I just got in the car and drove off without letting my wife know where I was going, I think she’d be justifiably annoyed and possibly worried. Likewise I want at least some general idea of where she’s going, in case something were to happen to her and I needed to help her or call someone to help her. I don’t think this basic expectation is quite the same as being a controlling, domineering spouse. This is one of the stupidest idrlabs quizzes I’ve seen yet. Fun but utter nonsense

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That question was stupid. No one should let anyone push them around. This doesn’t make someone a masculine brute, it’s just about self respect and not allowing oneself to be bullied. I also think the question about having a right to know where one’s spouse is at all times is misleading. If I just got in the car and drove off without letting my wife know where I was going, I think she’d be justifiably annoyed and possibly worried. Likewise I want at least some general idea of where she’s going, in case something wuere to happen to her and I needed to help her or call someone to help her. I don’t think this basic expectation is quite the same as being a controlling, domineering spouse. This is one of the stupidest idrlabs quizzes I’ve seen yet. Fun but utter nonsense

There was a question about if I thought it was feminine for guys to be obsessive about their looks and I think I said yes, which I think counted as a homophobia point. It doesn't mean that I think it's wrong.

But yes, it's a pretty dumb quiz.

yeghor

toxic-masculinity

6.23% less prone to deceitfulness and arrogance than the average person.
13.69% more disposed to anger than the average person.
18.57% more heteronormative than the average person.
19.44% more homophobic than the average person.
11.62% more prone to toxic masculinity than the average person overall.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
toxic-masculinity

This makes you:
  • 28.23% less prone to deceitfulness and arrogance than the average person.
  • 38.69% more disposed to anger than the average person.
  • 28.57% more heteronormative than the average person.
  • 52.44% more homophobic than the average person.
  • 22.62% more prone to toxic masculinity than the average person overall.
Some of the questions were copy/pasted from another quiz . . .

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
toxic-masculinity

Magazine quizzes are weird.​