• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Covert Narcissism Quiz

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
23 Signs You’re Secretly a Narcissist Masquerading as a Sensitive Introvert

I thought this was a really interesting article and has the quiz included in it. It's paper and pencil, so you have to add up your own score. I've never heard of the term covert narcissism before, but it seems in line with some trends I've been noticing lately with the popularity of introversion and the terms highly sensitive/empath.

Scoring:
Below 40-very low in covert narcissism
Mid-upper 60s-average
82 and above-high in covert narcissism

My score: 60

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I see where this idea is coming from... there are people who are narcissistic who claim it's just that they're sensitive (the key is perhaps their lack of empathy?) But I really wouldn't want this to become a popular idea floating around because I think a lot of insensitive people would use it as excuse for their insensitivity and abuse of others. Oh, you didn't like that horrible insult I threw at you? Well, that just proves you're a covert narcissist who can't handle criticism!

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see where this idea is coming from... there are people who are narcissistic who claim it's just that they're sensitive (the key is perhaps their lack of empathy?) But I really wouldn't want this to become a popular idea floating around because I think a lot of insensitive people would use it as excuse for their insensitivity and abuse of others. Oh, you didn't like that horrible insult I threw at you? Well, that just proves you're a covert narcissist who can't handle criticism!

I agree that if not careful the term can be misapplied and used maliciously. I'm not sure how great the scale itself actually is, I think someone with extreme sensitivity to criticism or anxiety could potentially score high here. I just think the concept is interesting because I've definitely come across people like this in real life, who seem to use their introversion or highly sensitive/empathic tendencies pridefully in a way that separates and elevates them above other people. So they may in fact be very sensitive, but there's an underlying arrogance to that sensitivity in that they view themselves as deeper or more profound than others because of it. And if you view yourself as on a higher plane than other people, how empathetic and understanding are you actually? If all you ever do is claim these empathic/highly sensitive traits without actually stepping outside of yourself to benefit others, what good are they? They essentially become badges of honor that are used to counter that hypersensitivity and raise your own self-worth.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
93 O.O

If, however, your score was 82 and above, you scored high in covert narcissism. And if your score was above 97, well, you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist, instead of constantly telling people to stop criticizing you because your sensitive, introverted soul can't handle it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I scored 73, this test was weird. Id score 1 on something, then 5 on another. I don't really have an issue with rejection for example, but I hate failure and like doing well in front of others.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I got 69 lol

Honestly I think its more because I'm a type 3 but ok, if you say so...

8D58D32C-FE14-4E14-899B-E05AC075C75D.gif

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, real narcissists have nothing better to do in life than take narcissism related online tests. :wink:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that if not careful the term can be misapplied and used maliciously. I'm not sure how great the scale itself actually is, I think someone with extreme sensitivity to criticism or anxiety could potentially score high here. I just think the concept is interesting because I've definitely come across people like this in real life, who seem to use their introversion or highly sensitive/empathic tendencies pridefully in a way that separates and elevates them above other people. So they may in fact be very sensitive, but there's an underlying arrogance to that sensitivity in that they view themselves as deeper or more profound than others because of it. And if you view yourself as on a higher plane than other people, how empathetic and understanding are you actually? If all you ever do is claim these empathic/highly sensitive traits without actually stepping outside of yourself to benefit others, what good are they? They essentially become badges of honor that are used to counter that hypersensitivity and raise your own self-worth.

Lemme just find this out as a very highly sensitive person. XD
I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others. - 4
My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others. - 5
When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me. - 2, usually doesn't happen till I am more established in a group and am getting left out.
I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others. - 1. But if the person did absolutely nothing and is trying to claim credit my caring goes to a 5 because they don't get credit for nothin!
I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles. - 1.
I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people. - 5.
I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way. - 5
I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others. - 3, depends what kinda mood I'm in tbh.
I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present. - I guess I'd say 3 because I am going to assume "appreciated" means "liked". If I am not liked in a social group for an extended period eventually the interaction will bug me enough to exit. But I have also left groups freely when I know a person or two likes me just because I lose interest, or maybe there's someone there that gives me such a negative reaction I'm not gonna get in the midst again.
I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy. - 2. Depends how they act. I have a couple friends who want advice for simpler things, then make excuses to not do any of it, or you try to converse with them and they get very arrogant. but for the most part I am not. I actually find it an important part of relationships.
I am jealous of good-looking people. - 1. I don't struggle with jealousy.
I tend to feel humiliated when criticized. - 5
I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities. - 1. actually my usual question is wondering what I do that's so defective that most people dislike me. I question if my good qualities ARE ACTUALLY good qualities.
I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible. - 5
I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why. - 1. I know exactly why I'd kill people I fantasize killing :D
I am especially sensitive to success and failure. - 5
I have problems that nobody else seems to understand. - 3. I think sometimes they don't get it and sometimes they do.
I try to avoid rejection at all costs. - 3. I used to be a 5 on this but I have slowly began giving less fucks.
My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends. - 2? I think they'd see the logic in my darker thoughts.
I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person. - 5. But I also have this issue called codependency so I end up a lot of times in these relationships where people are "porcupines" as my therapist always said...they pull you in then prick you, pull you in and prick you, push pull games. It is extremely draining.
Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy. - 2. Depends the friend group and my mood. Usually if my friend made me feel that alone in a group, I realized they weren't my friend at all.
I resent others who have what I lack. - um 1. I admire those who have what I lack and I look for their wisdom when they offer it.
Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it. - 5

total: 61

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I looked over the questions and am not entirely convinced it's defining actual narcissism, but the underlying question is an interesting one because there is a way that the boundary between Self and Other is blurred both by the narcissist and the empathic person. The difference is how the problem of the shared pain is solved. The narcissist will demand resources and the empath will give resources.

For example, if someone has health issues, a narcissist might take on the features of the illness and make it all about their own self, even demanding resources and comfort from the person who is actually sick. The same dynamic can happen with emotional pain. The narcissist exists in such a way that everything that happens is about 'them', so the pain of others can also be about them because they can't allow attention for someone else, they cannot allow a greater set of needs in someone else that require resources.

When the empathic person encounters someone who is sick or in emotional pain, they may experience some of it as well, but that motivates them to give resources to the person experiencing the actual pain. There is more conceptual clarity about who is experiencing the actual pain. There are cases where empathic people expend too much. They will become more giving in the face of shared pain. When encountering suffering, it revolves around the person who is actually suffering.

A theory about the source of narcissism is that it begins with early arrested development during the infant and toddler stage while a sense of Self and Other is forming in that first relationship to their mother. An infant cannot recognize mother as a separate entity with a different set of needs, but as the child grows through toddlerhood, they learn to negotiate with the mother as another Being who has their own set of feelings and needs. When a young child is neglected, does not feel a deep love from their mother, experiences great inconsistency of care, or are treated with harm, they get stuck at that stage of not being able to recognize a sense of Other. There is an internal deprivation and lack for their development, so there is a deep sensitivity in the narcissist, but much of it is subjugated to the subconscious, so they would probably not have self-awareness to answer questions on a quiz, especially questions that sound self-critical. There isn't enough sense of Other to feel inferior in the way that a normally sensitive and insecure person would feel, because their sense of Other is not developed in the same manner. For example from the quiz, they aren't likely to wonder what other people are thinking, but would feel slighted easily by not being given an unbalanced degree of attention from individuals, strangers or friends alike. It is more of an uneasiness like a toddler would feel when crying in a crib because their needs which represent a state of extreme vulnerability are not met. There is also a tendency to overcompensate for that vulnerability with a lot of emotional force. This would not be present in an empathic person.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I score myself as 111. Everything was extremely accurate for me except for #20, because I never get into relationships.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got 85, I think that having a mood disorder and an unstable sense of self definitely influenced my score

Anyway, I didn't know this type of NPD existed. I thought that many of the symptoms described here overlapped with BPD or other personality disorders