• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The flip side of Sensotardation - Are you an HSP?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
21, a few of them are very true. Especially imagining physical pain, it makes me uncomfortable.I don't whine that much (in public but vent profusely to someone I'm close to afterwards) I look pretty "stoic".

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More info, as promised:
(all taken from HSP)

According to their parents, as infants the "inhibited" children had had more allergies, insomnia, colic, and constipation than the average child. As young children, seen in the laboratory for the first time, their heartbeat rates are generally higher and under stress show less change. (Heart rate can't change much if it is already high.) Also when under stress, their pupils dilate sooner, and their vocal chords are more tense, making their voice change to a higher pitch.

The body fluids (blood, urine, saliva) of sensitive children show indications of high levels of norepinephrine present in their brains, especially after the children are exposed to various forms of stress in the laboratory.

Norephinephrine is associated with arousal; in fact, is it the brain's version of adrenaline. Sensitive children's body fluids also contain more cortisol, both when under stress and when at home. Cortisol is the hormone present when one is in a more or less constant state or arousal or wariness.

All of this suggests that sensitive children come with a built-in tendency to react more strongly to external stimuli. But Kagan and others are discovering the details that make that so. For example, Kagan found that babies who later showed this trait also had cooler foreheads on the right side of their head, which indicates greater activity on the right side of the brain. (The blood is drawn away from the surface towards the activity). Other studies have also found that many HSPs have more activity in the right hemisphere of the brain, especially those who stay sensitive from birth into childhood - this is, were clearly born that way.

Kagan's conclusion is that persons with the trait of sensitivity are a special breed. They are genetically quite different, although still utterly human.

I have wondered if it is this extreme sensitivity that causes introverts to withdraw into their inner worlds, both for avoidance and for self-comforting, thus developing the introverted functions to a greater degree, to the neglect of the extroverted ones.

But then there are HS Extroverts like CC (although not so many) and not very HS Introverts, so that theory isn't really working for me.

It seems the right-brain is heavily implicated, once again.

Also, it's looking like:

INFP > NF > IN > N > other types

Suggests Introversion and Intuition are significant correlates. (I think the N is more significant than the F)

There is also a strong male/female divide on this one, but there may be reasons for that which are non-biological since the questions are very subjective.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Interesting information, Blue.

So does that mean that many or most HSPs are left-handed? I've suspected I was born a lefty, but that was back in the days when kids were taught to use their right hands no matter which hand they preferred.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I'm right-handed, although my right-side tends to be a bit weaker than my left, if that makes sense....

But I seem to be right-brained, perhaps I'm just delegating the unimportant motor-skill type stuff to my left hemisphere - which would also explain why I suck at sports....

Cachao

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Don't care for obnoxiously loud music, hunger, having too many things going on at once, etc.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
1... the lonliest number :whistling:

yeah- all I've got is that I can tell the subtle difference in flavors of things- but this is a professional skill for me ;)

With a headache I'd rank much higher though.
I was trying to find which 5 I checked, but found only "conscientious", "complex inner life" and "notice fine scents", of which last must be a lie :blush: Sounds, art? more so ;)

Hmm. Other people's mood do affect me.. somewhat.. not.. yes, maybe, too.

Edit: perhaps sensitive to pain. I'm unsure how to think of that, so I might or might not be. Might have or might not have checked that, too.

Edit 2: how about the other low scorers? What did you choose? ;)

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
I got a 5.

Aware of subtleties in my environment, rich complex inner life, deeply moved by arts and music, I startle easily, and I notice/enjoy delicate/fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
More info, as promised:
(all taken from HSP)

I have wondered if it is this extreme sensitivity that causes introverts to withdraw into their inner worlds, both for avoidance and for self-comforting, thus developing the introverted functions to a greater degree, to the neglect of the extroverted ones.

But then there are HS Extroverts like CC (although not so many) and not very HS Introverts, so that theory isn't really working for me.

Also, it's looking like:

Suggests Introversion and Intuition are significant correlates. (I think the N is more significant than the F)

There is also a strong male/female divide on this one, but there may be reasons for that which are non-biological since the questions are very subjective.

My result: 18

Higher than I expected. I can be very affected by people's moods, movements, words... And by scents, sounds, scenes.

Interesting the right brain is correlated.

Yeah, motor skills and (linguistic) social skills are typically said to reside in the left hemisphere.

I think tiredness can have to do with it also, but of course it is tiring to be sensitive. What comes first?

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
More info, as promised:
(all taken from HSP)

Also, it's looking like:

It starts to look like the right brain is involved in any extra-ordinary sensitivity, in many mental 'disorders', in creativity, in intuition, in holism, and I guess in spirituality.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
i only checked 2. Does that mean that I am some sort of heartless and evil monster?

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Seven.

So what is the opposite of a highly sensitive person? A highly insensitive person?

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i only checked 2. Does that mean that I am some sort of heartless and evil monster?

Not at all. It seems that HSPs have an extra-sensitive nervous system. It doesn't necessarily play upon if someone is cruel or not. It's only another difference amidst many, such as if you enjoy rock to classical. Neither is better than the other. They're just different.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I got 20 - have read bits of this book and related to it - noise is the worst thing for me and crowds - it effects me because I work in a very noisy and extreemely crowded environment - so in the evnings I have to get away from it all and i become very territorial at home or i get out on my own into the countrside with my dog

I did read once that research has made a connection betwen introversion and an a overactive reticular activating system ( the area of our brain that deals with stimulation/habituation) In introverts this is turned up so we need less stimuli (too much is difficult or painful) whilst in extroverts it is turned down so they need more.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

But I think I come across as pretty confident & relaxed most of the time.

Then again, it probably would have been higher in the past :eek:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Yeh, low count for me also. I got 9. But most were just noticing peoples moods and stuff, and liking artistic things. I find I'm not shocked by much at all.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
"You have indicated that 21 of the items are true of you."

I don't mind watching tv violence and i'm not in tune enough with my enviroment to notice most things but loud noises. ;) I also have a high tolerance to pain.