• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The flip side of Sensotardation - Are you an HSP?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The phrasing makes it obvious the question is about an uncomfortable kind of being overwhelmed. Agony? Wanting something to stop? Those are not pleasant experiences.

That's why I said if he felt that way he'd know it. Perhaps I should have said he'd probably know it. :D
Okay.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
:huh:

I don't get what you're getting at.
I've though of ENTP as people who throw around ideas and experiment with them, and ENFP as people who quickly grasp different moods and values and experiment with them. In my opinion, ENFP wildly go after the emotions and value-based assessments (Fi) that their intuition (Ne) suggests them, while usually remaining in much control of the "experiment".

Some ENFP seem to be enjoying (in my opinion) that a lot of everything is happening around them, so they may go "hyper". Then again, sometimes I read signs of them being anxious, suggesting they might not like the experience. I was about to start a thread on ENFP as I wanted to understand it and not just have it made up in my mind.

I score 15-16, and most of the things I checked off have to do with my being acutely sensitive and perceptive to my surroundings.

I am most definitely an introverted extrovert, but an extrovert nonetheless, so that might help explain why I am an HSP.
You seem as one of the more calm & composed ENFPs of this forum, resistant to negative feelings, but some.. I'm trying to understand, but as my best guess, many of them seem "happy to get angry".

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
A couple of the questions really threw me off.

As in, "I tend to be very sensitive to pain," and "I have a rich, complex inner life."

What?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I'm wondering about this value judgement deal. Is there a negative connotation which goes with being HSP? Like some kind of diagnosis. Neurasthenic?

"Sensitivity is anything but a flaw. Many HSPs are often unusually creative and productive workers, attentive and thoughtful partners, and intellectually gifted individuals."

so there.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
A couple of the questions really threw me off.

As in, "I tend to be very sensitive to pain," and "I have a rich, complex inner life."

What?

Yeah, I didn't click those and a few others where I wanted to ask: "sort of; what do you mean?" My score could have been higher.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
"Sensitivity is anything but a flaw. Many HSPs are often unusually creative and productive workers, attentive and thoughtful partners, and intellectually gifted individuals."

so there.

Okay. Thanks.

So, I'm still hearing value judgement here that reminded me of being descibled as "hypervigilant." Caught up in personalizing it? Maybe.

I guess it's a matter of degree as to whether it's a pro or a con. Is it something which helps one to flourish or to causes one to languish?

I hear mixed responses.

Conclusion? Perhaps it's a matter of degree combined with coping skills.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. Thanks.

So, I'm still hearing value judgement here that reminded me of being descibled as "hypervigilant." Caught up in personalizing it? Maybe.

I guess it's a matter of degree as to whether it's a pro or a con. Is it something which helps one to flourish or to causes one to languish?

I hear mixed responses.

Conclusion? Perhaps it's a matter of degree combined with coping skills.
Hypervigilant is a value judgment? No more so than introversion, I would have said.
Hypervigilance is a good thing in the animal kingdom.
I'm going to put more excerpts from the book here later, so it might help clarify.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If the questions applied to you you'd know it. :D

Not if I didn't know what overwhelmed means in the first place :p

The phrasing makes it obvious the question is about an uncomfortable kind of being overwhelmed. Agony? Wanting something to stop? Those are not pleasant experiences.

That's why I said if he felt that way he'd know it. Perhaps I should have said he'd probably know it. :D

Yes, uncomfortable kind of being overwhelmed. I got that. But my point is how do you quantify it, and what constitutes unbearable? I'm kinda sensitive to noise but I wouldn't know if that constitutes being overwhelmed or not. Some noises can really get to me. Like a fork scratching a plate or something like that. I immediately tell the person doing it, to stop. Does that constitute "overwhelmed"?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not if I didn't know what overwhelmed means in the first place :p

Yes, uncomfortable kind of being overwhelmed. I got that. But my point is how do you quantify it, and what constitutes unbearable? I'm kinda sensitive to noise but I wouldn't know if that constitutes being overwhelmed or not. Some noises can really get to me. Like a fork scratching a plate or something like that. I immediately tell the person doing it, to stop. Does that constitute "overwhelmed"?

No. Overwhelmed is when you grab the fork and stick it in the other person's eye.
Does that help?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
No. Overwhelmed is when you grab the fork and stick it in the other person's eye.
Does that help?

So, psychosomatic/physical pain?

(that's why I used the word "agony" in my first post, in the first place)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, psychosomatic/physical pain?

(that's why I used the word "agony" in my first post, in the first place)
Ach! You ENFPs. Always with the analysing of the feelings!
If you've ever been overwhelmed - you'd know about it, if not, don't check the box. I am finding this conversation...overwhelming.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Ach! You ENFPs. Always with the analysing of the feelings!
If you've ever been overwhelmed - you'd know about it, if not, don't check the box. I am finding this conversation...overwhelming.

Sorry, can't take tests that ask you "are you [variable being tested] ?" in their questions. The test is supposed to tell me if I get overwhelmed easily or not. Not me.

And there's a trick I can teach you about overwhelming conversations.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, can't take tests that ask you "are you [variable being tested] ?" in their questions. The test is supposed to tell me if I get overwhelmed easily or not. Not me.

And there's a trick I can teach you about overwhelming conversations.

That's ok. You're allowed to be insensitive.

Post it on the forum, then all us highly-sensitive types can benefit.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I scored 24.
But then I'm guessing it's not all that surprising, given the nature of my posts. I also studied the topic fairly extensively.
I came across it when looking into MBTI personality profiling actually.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It helped me flourish, as it helped me to understand a few things about myself. Particularly some of the more pyshical aspects associated with it. A definite pro for me.

After fully exploring the concept, it also gave me a sense of self worth (again). It comes down this though ultimately, it can give one an excuse not to face the world (if they identify with characteristics of HSP), or it can open doors to a much more enriching life. If you are interested in exploring futher, check out positive disintegration as well. I quite like the idea of embracing life's little problems in the process of self actulisation.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Self-Test Results
You have indicated that 25 of the items are true of you.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
"You have indicated that 21 of the items are true of you."