• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can You Pass A Basic English Test From 1950?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
English majors, rise up.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
YOU ACED IT!

Just don't ask me to do math. :newwink:

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i also "aced it"... i doubt that only 5% of folks can... it seemed pretty simple...

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
YOU ACED IT!

You aced a basic English test from 1950! Only 5% of Americans can score this high. You must be well-read and very intuitive. You think for yourself and always trust your gut.

Let us know in the comments if we’re spot-on!

I want to know what they mean by aced though. 100%? 50?

That would be more helpful than just an arbitrary pat on the back for taking the time to show the skills of being even partially literate

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I aced it as well, though I did have to google synonyms to refresh my memory if it was same or different :rolleyes:
And, had they asked me to spell that word, I would fail it every time. Same with "guarantee" (but ha!- got it first try this time :laugh:)

I was VERY confused about the math one. I pulled up the calculator because my first answer wasn't there. If you divide 20 by half, then add 30, you should get 40. Then, it hit me that they probably meant .5 :whistling:

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
YOU ACED IT!

You aced a basic English test from 1950! Only 5% of Americans can score this high. You must be well-read and very intuitive. You think for yourself and always trust your gut.

I can do math too. I just don't enjoy it. LOL

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
YOU ACED IT!

Of Course I did. I was there...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i also "aced it"... i doubt that only 5% of folks can... it seemed pretty simple...
It was, but it contains questions involving common errors that I see quite frequently.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is there math in this english quiz? Divide 20 by half, and add 30? Isn't that 40? This is a trick question.

I also Aced it...despite my laziness with my spelling and grammar, I know a lot of weird grammar rules.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow its just incredible so many people from the 5% of Americans are on this forum :newwink:

YOU ACED IT!

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Why is there math in this english quiz? Divide 20 by half, and add 30? Isn't that 40? This is a trick question.

There's a difference between divide in half and divide by half.

Half = 0,5.

20/0,5= 40.

40 + 30=70.

HoneyBlossom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YOU ACED IT!

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was VERY confused about the math one. I pulled up the calculator because my first answer wasn't there. If you divide 20 by half, then add 30, you should get 40. Then, it hit me that they probably meant .5 :whistling:

Those.. bitches! :doh:

Edit: Honestly, good job, everyone. You have no idea how many spelling errors I see online and offline. I'm not perfect myself, but to know that we are all well read is pretty awesome. It is a privilege to be so fluent in English and know how to read and write properly. Give yourselves a hug.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a difference between divide in half and divide by half.

Half = 0,5.

20/0,5= 40.

40 + 30=70.
It is quite evident how poorly many people do at English. I would be curious about the results of an actual basic math test. I suspect most people would do even worse.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I aced it too. I wasn't sure about some of the answers. Does this thing say that everyone aces it?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of my pet peeves is coma splicing. You've already went to the trouble of putting a coma there. Why not make it a semicolon or just end it? Jesus! I can't imagine how much shame it causes their English teachers. English teachers are jerks anyway. I declined a Friend Request from my 8th grade English teacher. I could accept it, leave grammatical errors all over her comment section, and tell her she was the best English teacher ever.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YOU ACED IT!

yay~

Oh, also I am not an English major, nor was I born in US...English is technically my second language.
And idk how many people get "aced it" though online people can also look things up, which wouldn't be allowed in a an actual test...
also someone is less likely to post their result if everyone else's says "you aced it!"...

EDIT: I retook it in order to see the "fail" result.
YOU FAILED!

Like 95% of the population, you failed this basic English test from 1950. You must be highly neurotic. You have vivid and excessive fantasies that often involve elaborate scenarios.

I am not sure I understand how the text in red is related to failing an English test...:unsure: