20.51% Match
    ESFP
    12.82% Match
    ISFP
    10.26% Match

Cleary Te user.
    Likes Zhaylin, Norexan liked this post

Do you prefer:

1. Spending time learning new things rather than getting really good at anything in particular.
    2. Refine my existing skills and talents, I like to think I'm headed toward mastery of my interests.

Both. You don't master your interests by refusing to update knowledge, and learning new things doesn't preclude anyone from the desired result of mastery.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Do you prefer:

1. Spending time learning new things rather than getting really good at anything in particular.
    2. Refine my existing skills and talents, I like to think I'm headed toward mastery of my interests.

Both. You don't master your interests by refusing to update knowledge, and learning new things doesn't preclude anyone from the desired result of mastery.
    I guess it's a good thing the question was not worded in a way that remotely resembles your interpretation of it then, isn't it?
    The entire MBTI has the "both" issue as it is built upon false dichotomies.

I made no mention of any such refusal to update knowledge and the question does not in any way suggest that learning new things prevents anybody from achieving or attempting to achieve mastery of anything else.
    Instead, if offers a choice - does the person responding lean more towards learning new things vs focusing on things they already know. It is this simple. Any reasonable person would have no issues with the way this question was worded.

Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post
    I guess it's a good thing the question was not worded in a way that remotely resembles your interpretation of it then, isn't it?
    There's nothing 'good' about idiotic questions designed to split people off into imaginary groups.

Which side of your nose do you breathe from?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

There's nothing 'good' about idiotic questions designed to split people off into imaginary groups.
    Why are you on a personality forum, then?
    Practically all personality theories are designed in a way that separates certain types of people from other types of people.

The question is as simple as does one prefer to constantly learn new things, or do they prefer to stick to what they know. It is that simple and anybody with even the slightest reading comprehension capabilities would be able to deduce such a fact.
    The two ideas do oppose each other - one is preferring to learn new things, the other is preferring to stick to what you know.

Of course, people can stick to what they know and learn new things, nothing is to stop you from being a level 110 Death Knight and also learning multiple languages and various other skills, the idea, as any reasonable person would understand, is to select which is preferred - to master and refine your existing skill set, or to learn new things.

Learning new things can of course be incorporated into mastering and refining your existing skills, and refining existing skills does not necessarily mean you will ever master or even get remotely "good" at them if you're just hopeless, but the intent behind the question remains very clear and indeed to two phrases are indeed opposing in nature even if they can and should ultimately work together for the benefit of the respondent. Neither phrase excludes the existence of the other phrase in the respondents life.

To provide something a little more specific, something that someone of your intellect might be able to comprehend in a way that at least resembles anything accurate - consider this, would you prefer to listen to new music (new songs, new bands, new styles, just new - something different), or would you prefer to listen to a song, or an album, or a band, or a genre etc that you already know and are comfortable with.

Yes there are many ways to question this example - new music from a familiar artist etc etc but surely you are able to grasp what the question is asking now, and understand the opposing nature of each perspective.
    If you have trouble understanding this, not my problem, I've done all I can.

does one prefer to constantly learn new things, or do they prefer to stick to what they know.
    False dichotomy. If you don't see it, that's not my problem.

Edit: You might be interested in an old thread started by an ENTP who caught serious shit for claiming Fi doms are black and white thinkers.

would you prefer to listen to new music (new songs, new bands, new styles, just new - something different), or would you prefer to listen to a song, or an album, or a band, or a genre etc that you already know and are comfortable with.
    I prefer to listen to all of it and it is in fact what I do all the time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

False dichotomy. If you don't see it, that's not my problem.

Edit: You might be interested in an old thread started by an ENTP who caught serious shit for claiming Fi doms are black and white thinkers.
    Or not, I type INFP by dichotomy and don't care for the functions stacks so whatever little jab this was landed elsewhere.

I prefer to listen to all of it and it is in fact what I do all the time.
    Ah, of course, and I bet it is a perfect 50/50 balance between what is familiar and what is not as well, isn't it? It couldn't possibly be slightly skewed one way or another, could it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp

ENFJ
    51.28% Match

ENFP
    48.72% Match

INFJ
    48.72% Match

INFP
    46.15% Match

ESFP
    35.9% Match
    ISFP
    33.33% Match
    ESFJ
    33.33% Match
    ENTP
    30.77% Match
    ISFJ
    30.77% Match
    INTP
    28.21% Match
    ENTJ
    28.21% Match
    INTJ
    26.32% Match
    ESTP
    20.51% Match
    ISTP
    17.95% Match
    ESTJ
    12.82% Match
    ISTJ
    10.26% Match

Ah, of course, and I bet it is a perfect 50/50 balance between what is familiar and what is not as well, isn't it? It couldn't possibly be slightly skewed one way or another, could it?

If your goal is to slam people into groups which do not accurately reflect what is true means you're okay with results that are nothing short of bullshit.

And since we're discussing "preferences," I prefer this kind of thinking from an INFP:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    As I usually say when this comes up, we try to be a site where typology can be investigated and critiqued, not just swallowed wholesale. Which is why we don't delete posts that are critical of MBTI. We welcome skeptics; I am one myself.

Amusing.

ENTP
    51.28% Match
    INTP
    51.28% Match
    ENTJ
    51.28% Match