• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Test

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
ENTJ
66.67% Match
INTJ
65.79% Match
ESTJ
51.28% Match
ISTJ
48.72% Match
ENTP
43.59% Match
INTP
41.03% Match
ENFJ
41.03% Match
INFJ
38.46% Match
ESTP
30.77% Match
ISTP
28.21% Match
ESFJ
28.21% Match
ISFJ
25.64% Match
ENFP
23.08% Match
INFP
20.51% Match
ESFP
12.82% Match
ISFP
10.26% Match

Cleary Te user.

Jaguar

Do you prefer:

1. Spending time learning new things rather than getting really good at anything in particular.
2. Refine my existing skills and talents, I like to think I'm headed toward mastery of my interests.

Both. You don't master your interests by refusing to update knowledge, and learning new things doesn't preclude anyone from the desired result of mastery.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you prefer:

1. Spending time learning new things rather than getting really good at anything in particular.
2. Refine my existing skills and talents, I like to think I'm headed toward mastery of my interests.

Both. You don't master your interests by refusing to update knowledge, and learning new things doesn't preclude anyone from the desired result of mastery.

I guess it's a good thing the question was not worded in a way that remotely resembles your interpretation of it then, isn't it?
The entire MBTI has the "both" issue as it is built upon false dichotomies.

I made no mention of any such refusal to update knowledge and the question does not in any way suggest that learning new things prevents anybody from achieving or attempting to achieve mastery of anything else.
Instead, if offers a choice - does the person responding lean more towards learning new things vs focusing on things they already know. It is this simple. Any reasonable person would have no issues with the way this question was worded.

Jaguar

I guess it's a good thing the question was not worded in a way that remotely resembles your interpretation of it then, isn't it?

There's nothing 'good' about idiotic questions designed to split people off into imaginary groups.

Which side of your nose do you breathe from?

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's nothing 'good' about idiotic questions designed to split people off into imaginary groups.

Why are you on a personality forum, then?
Practically all personality theories are designed in a way that separates certain types of people from other types of people.

The question is as simple as does one prefer to constantly learn new things, or do they prefer to stick to what they know. It is that simple and anybody with even the slightest reading comprehension capabilities would be able to deduce such a fact.
The two ideas do oppose each other - one is preferring to learn new things, the other is preferring to stick to what you know.

Of course, people can stick to what they know and learn new things, nothing is to stop you from being a level 110 Death Knight and also learning multiple languages and various other skills, the idea, as any reasonable person would understand, is to select which is preferred - to master and refine your existing skill set, or to learn new things.

Learning new things can of course be incorporated into mastering and refining your existing skills, and refining existing skills does not necessarily mean you will ever master or even get remotely "good" at them if you're just hopeless, but the intent behind the question remains very clear and indeed to two phrases are indeed opposing in nature even if they can and should ultimately work together for the benefit of the respondent. Neither phrase excludes the existence of the other phrase in the respondents life.

To provide something a little more specific, something that someone of your intellect might be able to comprehend in a way that at least resembles anything accurate - consider this, would you prefer to listen to new music (new songs, new bands, new styles, just new - something different), or would you prefer to listen to a song, or an album, or a band, or a genre etc that you already know and are comfortable with.

Yes there are many ways to question this example - new music from a familiar artist etc etc but surely you are able to grasp what the question is asking now, and understand the opposing nature of each perspective.
If you have trouble understanding this, not my problem, I've done all I can.

Jaguar

does one prefer to constantly learn new things, or do they prefer to stick to what they know.

False dichotomy. If you don't see it, that's not my problem.

Edit: You might be interested in an old thread started by an ENTP who caught serious shit for claiming Fi doms are black and white thinkers. ;)

would you prefer to listen to new music (new songs, new bands, new styles, just new - something different), or would you prefer to listen to a song, or an album, or a band, or a genre etc that you already know and are comfortable with.

I prefer to listen to all of it and it is in fact what I do all the time.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
False dichotomy. If you don't see it, that's not my problem.

Edit: You might be interested in an old thread started by an ENTP who caught serious shit for claiming Fi doms are black and white thinkers. ;)

Or not, I type INFP by dichotomy and don't care for the functions stacks so whatever little jab this was landed elsewhere.

I prefer to listen to all of it and it is in fact what I do all the time.

Ah, of course, and I bet it is a perfect 50/50 balance between what is familiar and what is not as well, isn't it? It couldn't possibly be slightly skewed one way or another, could it?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
ENFJ
51.28% Match

ENFP
48.72% Match

INFJ
48.72% Match

INFP
46.15% Match

ESFP
35.9% Match
ISFP
33.33% Match
ESFJ
33.33% Match
ENTP
30.77% Match
ISFJ
30.77% Match
INTP
28.21% Match
ENTJ
28.21% Match
INTJ
26.32% Match
ESTP
20.51% Match
ISTP
17.95% Match
ESTJ
12.82% Match
ISTJ
10.26% Match

Jaguar

Ah, of course, and I bet it is a perfect 50/50 balance between what is familiar and what is not as well, isn't it? It couldn't possibly be slightly skewed one way or another, could it?

If your goal is to slam people into groups which do not accurately reflect what is true means you're okay with results that are nothing short of bullshit.

And since we're discussing "preferences," I prefer this kind of thinking from an INFP:

Ivy said:
As I usually say when this comes up, we try to be a site where typology can be investigated and critiqued, not just swallowed wholesale. Which is why we don't delete posts that are critical of MBTI. We welcome skeptics; I am one myself.

Jaguar

Amusing.

ENTP
51.28% Match
INTP
51.28% Match
ENTJ
51.28% Match

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If your goal is to slam people into groups which do not accurately reflect what is true means you're okay with results that are nothing short of bullshit.

And since we're discussing "preferences," I prefer this kind of thinking from an INFP:

If you'd care to do literally any research at all, including simply reading my responses in this thread, you'd understand I think MBTI tests, my own includes, are bullshit.
Stop embarrassing yourself, please.

Jaguar

If you'd care to do literally any research at all, including simply reading my responses in this thread, you'd understand I think MBTI tests, my own includes, are bullshit.
Stop embarrassing yourself, please.

Then you better ask yourself why you were objecting to my objections for it is you who are embarrassing yourself. You're the one who created the questions (which I did not know until today) so you better be able to take criticism of said questions without falling to the ground.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then you better ask yourself why you were objecting to my objections for it is you who are embarrassing yourself. You're the one who created the questions (which I did not know until today) so you better be able to take criticism of said questions without falling to the ground.

Your criticisms weren't valid, you missed the point - they were dishonest criticisms. Any honest and reasonable person reading that specific question would be able to easily distinguish what the phrases were about and how they were indeed of an opposing nature.

I was objecting to your objections on the above grounds. My position regarding MBTI tests, mine included, hasn't changed at all. I think they are way too subjective to be of any use and can only provide an indicator of how you subjectively perceive yourself which may or may not reflect how is, or appears to be, in reality or from literally any other perspective. Just reading descriptions of types, or the dichotomy, will be just as useful and in the exact same way with regards to typing yourself.

Jaguar

Your criticisms weren't valid, you missed the point - they were dishonest criticisms. Any honest and reasonable person reading that specific question would be able to easily distinguish what the phrases were about and how they were indeed of an opposing nature.

I was objecting to your objections on the above grounds. My position regarding MBTI tests, mine included, hasn't changed at all. I think they are way too subjective to be of any use and can only provide an indicator of how you subjectively perceive yourself which may or may not reflect how is, or appears to be, in reality or from literally any other perspective. Just reading descriptions of types, or the dichotomy, will be just as useful and in the exact same way with regards to typing yourself.

You again. Really? How about a cookie? Will that make it all better, bubba? :D

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You again. Really? How about a cookie? Will that make it all better, bubba? :D

There it is, humiliation - with nothing relevant to say, to save face - we see replies like this. Thanks for your time.

Jaguar

There it is, humiliation - with nothing relevant to say, to save face - we see replies like this. Thanks for your time.

No, thank you. For wasting mine. I'm sure there are others in the forum who don't have any problems discussing silly questions on tests that lead nowhere.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP
53.85% Match

It doesn't show me the rest, RIP.

Majesty

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ME
Enneagram
ME
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ESTJ
43.59% Match

This is my second, "ESTJ," result recently

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure I did this entirely right. But, ENFP 53.85% Match.

A lot of times I end up getting ENFP on these things despite me knowing I strongly lead with Fi.