• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] dating

DarkPassenger123

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Wow dude you are right
I remember when I used to watch my little pony I felt an attraction for them
It was really hard to control
I watch it at night sometimes

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

That makes sense...Inferior functions can be represented as negative - energy/reaction (energy in terms of usage and reaction in terms of outcome) whereas dominant functions can be represented as positive + energy/reaction. Thus, (+ Te = ENTJ) is complimentary to (- Te = INFP), which creates a pulling effect to neutralize the negative reactions. ENFJ could pose problems, however, due to inferior Ti.

Eftelya

Merely technically speaking: Any NF types. ENFJ, ENFP, INFJ, INFP.

You really shouldn't look, go, or less, settle for a partner solely based on their MBTI type, though. Personally speaking, MBTI holds little to no weight within personal relationships. Of course, it would be hypocritical of me to say, because I do have certain preferences myself, but that shouldn't hinder you in the slightest. You will eventually find yourself drawn and attracted to a certain type of personality that isn't necessarily considered ideal for you slash your type. You might find your ideal match in an ESTP - where conflict is supposedly foreseen, and find yourself strangely repulsed by ENFP's. It may waver. The INFP's natural partner is concluded to be the ENFJ and ESFJ - according to some professionals - based on their many shared values and similar traits. There should be an emotional harmony. While other professionals claim it to be the ESTJ and ENTJ based on balance. Where the INFP is not necessarily rational or responsible the ExTJ makes up for it, while the INFP makes up for a loving and sentimental environment within the relationship.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

Actually, choice in romantic partners is one of the things that very much is type related.

From what I understand, the ideal partner for an INFP is ENFJ, and other typical choices are generally based on similarity to ENFJ.

There are many other factors that need to be taken into account of course, but type is a major one.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Merely technically speaking: Any NF types. ENFJ, ENFP, INFJ, INFP.

You really shouldn't look, go, or less, settle for a partner solely based on their MBTI type, though. Personally speaking, MBTI holds little to no weight within personal relationships. Of course, it would be hypocritical of me to say, because I do have certain preferences myself, but that shouldn't hinder you in the slightest. You will eventually find yourself drawn and attracted to a certain type of personality that isn't necessarily considered ideal for you slash your type. You might find your ideal match in an ESTP - where conflict is supposedly foreseen, and find yourself strangely repulsed by ENFP's. It may waver. The INFP's natural partner is concluded to be the ENFJ and ESFJ - according to some professionals - based on their many shared values and similar traits. There should be an emotional harmony. While other professionals claim it to be the ESTJ and ENTJ based on balance. Where the INFP is not necessarily rational or responsible the ExTJ makes up for it, while the INFP makes up for a loving and sentimental environment within the relationship.

Guilty. Most I agree with, but I found found it more fun to date someone first then find out their personality and see why you're attracted and maybe compatible, or why not.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Seeing people in terms of types hinder you from actually getting to know them, which is a bad thing to do in dating.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Seeing people in terms of types hinder you from actually getting to know them, which is a bad thing to do in dating.

If type compatibility is real, which I'm pretty sure it is although it's still complex, then the person you end up with likely is compatible with you anyway.

But if you sense something is off or unfulfilling and you know how to type, then determining that the types are mismatched can tell you what's going on.

(part of what's going on, anyway; like I said, it's complex)

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
If type compatibility is real, which I'm pretty sure it is although it's still complex, then the person you end up with likely is compatible with you anyway.

But if you sense something is off or unfulfilling and you know how to type, then determining that the types are mismatched can tell you what's going on.

I highlighted the assumption in bold.

I don't think type compatibility is any better than taking a bunch of traits horoscope-style and then mashing them together based off stereotypes. I have serious doubts about the predictability of typology.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

This is impressively both specious reasoning and tautological (logic definition) in one go.

It's conveniently true...if its true.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
This is impressively both specious reasoning and tautological (logic definition) in one go.

It's conveniently true...if its true.

No, it's not actually tautological.

For example, it provides a simple way that the notion of type compatibility can be tested in the future. If/when we can develop an accurate database of people's types, we can test the idea of compatibility by seeing if people of certain types are predictably more likely to be in relationships, particularly long-term, with people of certain other types.

It also states that choosing a partner who is of a compatible type is generally going to lead to a better, more fulfilling relationship than choosing someone of a type that isn't compatible. The additional mention of complexity implies that we need to take averages, and it's possible for a particular mismatched pairing to be more fulfilling than a well-matched pairing due to other factors.

So, no, not tautological.

I highlighted the assumption in bold.

I don't think type compatibility is any better than taking a bunch of traits horoscope-style and then mashing them together based off stereotypes. I have serious doubts about the predictability of typology.

It's a stereotype in the sense that modelling a human as a set of cognitive functions is a simplification. However, that's how scientific models work, they simplify. We're not yet at the point of perfecting typology to the level that it can be used to make reliable predictions, so I can only make an informed guess about what I have observed so far that suggests that it can be made to be predictable. Actually, given what I know, it already is being used to make predictions. For example, I can predict that someone who is a pure mathematician is much more likely than average to have what I call an "inward, neutral drawing" quality to their voice, and that can be tested.

This stuff can be tested. If you want to wait until it's accepted by the scientific establishment before you decide to take it seriously, then you're welcome to do so, but it seems foolish given that there is already sufficient information to determine through independent investigation what sort of truth the model holds, and then to be one of those who pioneers the early use of the model and helps get it to the point of science. You don't have to do so, but it's quite an opportunity we have here.

--

Regarding the question at hand, I find it strange that anyone wouldn't notice clear patterns in the sort of people they're attracted to/form relationships with. I certainly notice the patterns in my own preferences, and I find it hard to believe any given person doesn't have that phenomenon play out in their own life.