• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] MBTI and Art preferences

XxShadoWolfxX

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you guys think that your MBTI type affects your art preferences? I mean everything from different paintings styles, drawings, to sculptures, photography, and music.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As an ENFP I have a strong love for oil painting, surrealism,dreamy themes and also admire sketching. Music wise I am drawn to music that I like on a gut level like it sounds pleasant do me.

I think it influences my tastes sure. Still art is subjective. Preferences filter down to an even finer degree when shaped by individuals life experiences.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I love to create art, which no doubt grabs much influence from my emotions and present mental state. When viewing art though, art is merely a conveyance of ideas, and it is those ideas, that intrigue me most. What is the artist trying to say? Is it avant-garde or just repeated drool seen in thousands of other works by artists? Secondly, I look at the art piece itself, the physicality and emotion behind it, and determine if I feel those ideas have been properly translated and expressed outwards. Has the artist succeeded? Have they lessened the message by going too far mainstream? Or perhaps they’ve gone too far into shock-value, and still, again, lessened the message?

So ya, I almost literally “see” a message first, then I actually experience the art piece and enjoy it for what it is, or isn’t.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ To platform off of what [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] is saying and to provide something kind of opposite, when I create art I am not attempting to convey any 'idea' at all, so people viewing it who decide there is an idea being conveyed are probably assigning their own idea to it. Unless I am misunderstanding what all falls under this notion of an 'idea'. I create subjects and use colors which inspire me and which I find aesthetically cohesive and pleasing. You could say I find personal value and beauty in the things I choose to paint, and my moods probably leak into the paintings via colors and style I use, but I never have any grand 'idea' I am trying to convey.

So I'm kind of opposite, in that I am often drawn to, or not drawn to, the aesthetics of a piece, and what it is 'as it is' first, because I think there's a fair amount of art that is just that. However of course there is another segment of art that is more about conveying an idea, metaphor, whatnot -- and so for me that would come later on if I decide to even go there when looking at a piece of art. But, too, there's always the risk of just seeing what you see in it (which is fine)-- never hitting the mark of what the artist was actually thinking, feeling, conveying [or not conveying].

Maybe to an extent, but I think having your world opened up to a variety of styles can be a large influence too. I used to only prefer realism as a child because of the skill level it took to create, and now find it mundane and boring if there is no edge or deeper context to the piece. As I've grown older I found a much greater love for Surrealism, Symbolism, and Art Deco. I love when reality becomes distorted and there is some experimentation implemented. For me it makes it all the more unique and meaningful.

I'm actually very conceptual in my own artwork and always plan my main idea beforehand so that most of what I decide to add connects together in order to support the larger picture. Having some artistic knowledge has helped, but I think as I've mentioned anyone immersed in that sort of environment can be influenced regardless of type. It pertains to taste and whether deeper meaning is something you value or not. It's not necessarily based on whether one type prefers the abstract or concrete, as I've seen instances where certain types went against that perceived idea entirely. Your artistic perception can change once you get deeper into the idea of art itself.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
From my perspective no , art is so complex that every type have problem understanding every cell .
Of course every type have stronger points , i had no problem at all with theory but something that use sensorish skills was very hard ( sing ).

At the end training make each person get better with their weakest points.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Maybe to an extent, but I think having your world opened up to a variety of styles can be a large influence too. I used to only prefer realism as a child because of the skill level it took to create, and now find it mundane and boring if there is no edge or deeper context to the piece. As I've grown older I found a much greater love for Surrealism, Symbolism, and Art Deco. I love when reality becomes distorted and there is some experimentation implemented. For me it makes it all the more unique and meaningful.

I'm actually very conceptual in my own artwork and always plan my main idea beforehand so that most of what I decide to add connects together in order to support the larger picture. Having some artistic knowledge has helped, but I think as I've mentioned anyone immersed in that sort of environment can be influenced regardless of type. It pertains to taste and whether deeper meaning is something you value or not. It's not necessarily based on whether one type prefers the abstract or concrete, as I've seen instances where certain types went against that perceived idea entirely. Your artistic perception can change once you get deeper into the idea of art itself.

^ Pretty much this. ^

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think so, personally. I've just seen a wide array growing up and it is not necessarily type related, even among the same medium of art.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perhaps as far as what subject matter i find most/least emotive/pleasing... over all, i really doubt it has a signifcant impact...