• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP may not be a real personality type?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is your attachment style?

Litsnob

I can't say with any certainty that ISFP exists or doesn't exist anymore than I can with any of the types but the system seems to me to be useful and have reasonable accuracy. I have a friend whom I believe is ISFP. She is very reserved, a huge admirer of the arts although not artistic at all herself. She is very athletic. She is shy, reserved and soft looking on the surface and she is also very gentle and sweet but there is a strength to her both emotionally and definitely physically. I can see how she is similar in some ways to my INFP son. Similar but also different.

Introversion is definitely a real thing and do not confuse it with shyness. An introvert or extrovert can be shy although it seems to be more associated with introverts. An introvert raised by extroverts will probably be more overwhelmed and stressed, which might lead to some types of anxiety or shyness as they may be pressed to do things outside of their comfort zone and this may or may not be a growth experience for them.

If you are doubting ISFP because you doubt the validity of introversion you'd also have to doubt all of the other I-types. If so, how would you explain people who prefer more alone time, quieter activities, solitary or one-on-one situations as opposed to large groups, boisterous experiences and a frequent need to go out, do things with people and be around people?

kirsten

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm new to this site, but not to typology.. and I'm really confused. Can someone explain what is going on in this thread? How one earth could ISFP not be a real type? It's just as real as any other of the 16 types.

I know several ISFPs and they are not "Just" any of things mentioned in the OP. They all have lots of talents, having to do with Se, mainly. They are extremely friendly and easy to talk to, and they are very much in touch with their senses and the world around them. They also tend to like reading and more introverted activities. Laziness is definitely one of their weak points, but they can sometimes get really into their favorite activities.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What makes me ISFP is that this thread concept is my favorite on the entire site. Not a joke.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is hilarious. I've heard people insult ISFPs for not having a presence, but this really takes the cake. Michael Jackson was ISFP. That's all the proof I need to know that they not only exist, but are awesome.

What is your attachment style?

Anxious/ambivert.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm an introvert and I was never pushed to not assert myself. One thing I don't have in common with my type is that I like my family.

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get my concept of this stuff from the source, Jung, and my kid has always been obviously (to me) an ISFP. He took the test at school and got INTP. My husband is obviously (to me) an ESFP. He took the test and got INFP.

I don't think most of the tests are designed for Se/Fi users. Dichotomy tests strike me as being more S=Si and F=Fe. XSXPs, with their relationship to Ni, I think can seem pretty N-ish to themselves, just as I, with my Te, can seem unemotional to others (while internally being quite feely).

For all reasons, cognitive function pairs are where it's at, and especially as you age, your lesser halves of the functions develop, thereby making the whole N vs S, T vs F business kind of silly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISFP wife took an aptitude test when she was in high school and scored a strong preference for auto mechanics.

That would be more of an ISTP aptitude. The MBTI does not make sense in the real world.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
My ISFP wife took an aptitude test when she was in high school and scored a strong preference for auto mechanics.

That would be more of an ISTP aptitude. The MBTI does not make sense in the real world.

I think that's too generalized. There are so many shades of grey within types. Why couldn't an ISFP be interested in cars? Passions aren't restricted by functions.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's too generalized. There are so many shades of grey within types. Why couldn't an ISFP be interested in cars? Passions aren't restricted by functions.

I'm talking about aptitude not passions. My wife is interested in cars. She would love to aggressively drive a hot rod of some kind. But she's not a mechanic. Yes she can outdo me in mechanics very easily. I haven't read about any ISFPs having a mechanical aptitude. Not that they can't have one. But none of the reading material states that ISFPs make good mechanics. The descriptions always focus on artistry or artisanship. My wife has no artistic talent. She loves artisanship but never practices it. ISTPs are supposed to be the mechanics.

I don't know who decided these things, but they used the wrong method. The best way to box the types into careers would be by giving them the MBTI test and an aptitude test. I think you would find that the MBTI is terrible at guessing a type's aptitude or career interests.

Also, having an aptitude for something doesn't mean they will make a career out of it. My wife saw that she had no chance at auto mechanics because it is dominated by males.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Maybe because MBTI worked in 1970s and not today?

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wait, people actually use MBTI for career assessment? The career part of any MBTI website is the absolute worst part of the profile.

Seriously, read this:
Careers as military officers, lawyers, judges, police officers and detectives are all very popular among Logisticians (ISTJ). This makes sense, as they not only offer the stability that Logisticians seek, but are in line with their principles and conservatism, establishing clear societal roles.
Come on, now. We're not that boring.

Jaguar

You should meet one of my lawyers. ISTJ. He really is boring. Until you question his competence. Then his head spins around and flies off his shoulders with green shit coming out of his mouth. ;)

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You should meet one of my lawyers. ISTJ. He really is boring. Until you question his competence. Then his head spins around and flies off his shoulders with green shit coming out of his mouth. ;)

That takes me back to this infamous article: N's Are Smarter Than S's -- MBTI | Slayerment

A few of my favorite quotes below:

N's run the world and the S's are the employees for the N's.

But they're [Sensors]not good at running countries, running businesses, innovating, improving the standard of living or anything else of higher value than simply entertainment.

Remember, being an N doesn't mean that you are not an S and that you are not in touch with the 5 senses. It means that you have moved past it. An N can be an S. An S can't be an N. It's an evolution thing.

S's are usually not innovators because they lack the capacity to innovate. Your S friend, if he is an S, may be good at memorization and doing what he is told, but he is probably terrible at solving real world problems and figuring out how to appropriately allocate resources.

Ad the very best one...
Sensors are great at doing what they're told which is why I tell them what to do. Sensors are great at following rules which is why I give them rules to follow. I understand Sensors better than they understand themselves.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Next time you see him ask about his income taxes or something else of a personal financial nature. Then tell us how it goes (assuming you're still alive).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait, people actually use MBTI for career assessment? The career part of any MBTI website is the absolute worst part of the profile.

Seriously, read this:

The MBTI might be useful for career placement, at this point it is not. But the more important factor is whether or not the MBTI can guarantee success at a particular career.