First 2345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

My ISFP wife took an aptitude test when she was in high school and scored a strong preference for auto mechanics.

That would be more of an ISTP aptitude. The MBTI does not make sense in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    My ISFP wife took an aptitude test when she was in high school and scored a strong preference for auto mechanics.

That would be more of an ISTP aptitude. The MBTI does not make sense in the real world.
    I think that's too generalized. There are so many shades of grey within types. Why couldn't an ISFP be interested in cars? Passions aren't restricted by functions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I think that's too generalized. There are so many shades of grey within types. Why couldn't an ISFP be interested in cars? Passions aren't restricted by functions.
    I'm talking about aptitude not passions. My wife is interested in cars. She would love to aggressively drive a hot rod of some kind. But she's not a mechanic. Yes she can outdo me in mechanics very easily. I haven't read about any ISFPs having a mechanical aptitude. Not that they can't have one. But none of the reading material states that ISFPs make good mechanics. The descriptions always focus on artistry or artisanship. My wife has no artistic talent. She loves artisanship but never practices it. ISTPs are supposed to be the mechanics.

I don't know who decided these things, but they used the wrong method. The best way to box the types into careers would be by giving them the MBTI test and an aptitude test. I think you would find that the MBTI is terrible at guessing a type's aptitude or career interests.

Also, having an aptitude for something doesn't mean they will make a career out of it. My wife saw that she had no chance at auto mechanics because it is dominated by males.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post

Maybe because MBTI worked in 1970s and not today?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Wait, people actually use MBTI for career assessment? The career part of any MBTI website is the absolute worst part of the profile.

Seriously, read this:
    Careers as military officers, lawyers, judges, police officers and detectives are all very popular among Logisticians (ISTJ). This makes sense, as they not only offer the stability that Logisticians seek, but are in line with their principles and conservatism, establishing clear societal roles.
    Come on, now. We're not that boring.
    ~Spec

Quote Originally Posted by Introspector View Post

You should meet one of my lawyers. ISTJ. He really is boring. Until you question his competence. Then his head spins around and flies off his shoulders with green shit coming out of his mouth.
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
    ― Gerry Spence

Likes Tilt liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You should meet one of my lawyers. ISTJ. He really is boring. Until you question his competence. Then his head spins around and flies off his shoulders with green shit coming out of his mouth.
    That takes me back to this infamous article: N's Are Smarter Than S's -- MBTI | Slayerment

A few of my favorite quotes below:

N's run the world and the S's are the employees for the N's.
    But they're [Sensors]not good at running countries, running businesses, innovating, improving the standard of living or anything else of higher value than simply entertainment.
    Remember, being an N doesn't mean that you are not an S and that you are not in touch with the 5 senses. It means that you have moved past it. An N can be an S. An S can't be an N. It's an evolution thing.
    S's are usually not innovators because they lack the capacity to innovate. Your S friend, if he is an S, may be good at memorization and doing what he is told, but he is probably terrible at solving real world problems and figuring out how to appropriately allocate resources.
    Ad the very best one...
    Sensors are great at doing what they're told which is why I tell them what to do. Sensors are great at following rules which is why I give them rules to follow. I understand Sensors better than they understand themselves.
    ~Spec

That takes me back to this infamous article: N's Are Smarter Than S's -- MBTI | Slayerment

We have a thread on that article. My response to it:

The remarks on that blog were made by someone whose head went through the windshield of a car.
    These things happen.
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
    ― Gerry Spence

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Next time you see him ask about his income taxes or something else of a personal financial nature. Then tell us how it goes (assuming you're still alive).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Wait, people actually use MBTI for career assessment? The career part of any MBTI website is the absolute worst part of the profile.

Seriously, read this:

The MBTI might be useful for career placement, at this point it is not. But the more important factor is whether or not the MBTI can guarantee success at a particular career.