First 12

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I think extroverts are definitely easier to talk to. Although it's only with introverts had I had anything deep.
    This.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post

What about you?

Do you tend to socialize more with one group? E’s or I’s? Are you drawn to one type more, romantically?

Have you observed the social dynamics I mentioned above (initially friendly = ultimately less 'sociable' / initially colder = ultimately more 'sociable'?

I actually prefer balance like myself and I don't get along with extremes. However through life I have socialized somewhat more with extroverts.

My real problems are more in J/P area or T/F. I have a problem with people that are completely over the place and don't respect deals. Also I really dislike when I have to babysit people ... and that happens fairly often. Or if they have very strong opinions that have a weak foundation and can be deconstructed without too much problem, if anything simply because I will not be allowed to point out that their position is full of holes.

(but if your general values are not in sync the MBTI doesn't actually matter)
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

@INTJMom

I don't care for that explanation of the differences between E and I, mostly because the "real world" can also be understood as the things we can see, touch, taste, smell and hear, which of course, would be the Sensing dimension of personality type.
    This is why I enjoy public discourse: different things resonate with different people.

I prefer this explanation:
    "Extraverts' energy is directed primarily outward, towards people and things outside of themselves. Introverts' energy is primarily directed inward, towards their own thoughts, perceptions, and reactions. Therefore, Extraverts tend to be more naturally active, expressive, social, and interested in many things, whereas Introverts tend to be more reserved, private, cautious, and interested in fewer interactions, but with greater depth and focus."

[from ]PersonalityType.com - 404
    Thank you for the reference!

I'm not sure that I agree that you had a "misunderstanding" about E and I, except that it is not ONLY about "energy around people".
    I was wrong in my approach when I first came here. I didn't expand on it in the OP. I agree that energy is important, if not the only factor.

Interestingly, when Jung put the concepts of I/E forward he didn't expect people to identify with only one. He was quoted as saying that was dangerous.

He also felt both aspects could overlap in a symbiotic way:

"If you take an extrovert you will find his unconscious has an introverted quality, because all the extraverted qualities are played out in his consciousness and the introverted are left in the unconscious". (Jung in McGuire & Hull, 1977, p. 342) Now, if the extroverts develop to know how and when to bring their unconscious introversion into composition and similarly, when introverts know when to bring their unconscious extroversion into composition, they would have command over their mental space and not vice-versa.

I agree with this outlook. It's why so many people "identify" as ambiverts. It's like when we use the left or right side of our brains but do not stop using our limbs on that respective side of the body. Things are deeply inter-connected.

I also really enjoy the science behind I/E:

There's a lot more to people's motivations than just MBTI. There's the whole Enneagram thing, for one.
    For sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I have not observed the dynamics you described above, but I get the impression I don't size people up as quickly as you do.
    You remind me of my INFP sister. You're probably a lot more intuitive about people than I am.
    Thank you, I think I AM fairly intuitive. Of course, there is danger in hubris. Assuming that one 'knows inherently' what is in another's heart or mind. Thus, the wisdom of your approach ^

and why...

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i actively avoid typing most of the people i know... it is the sort of thing i think about after years of knowing someone...
    Me too. Cuz there are a multitude of potential negative effects from mis-typing or trying to fit people into boxes.

In the OP I wasn't referring to typing people

I made the conclusions about the close friends/loved ones involved from conversations we have had on intra/extra version and how it manifests in our lives.
    Likes INTJMom liked this post