• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] I really don't like the type profiles of my own type

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well too bad

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it seems he is an ENTJ now

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Not entirely sure I agree but I don't think I have ever seen an ENTJ ask for permission or clarification from another on being ENTJ. So it's a step in the right direction.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Move past type if it causes this kind of agonising, it's not worth it.

It's also not that important, but I'm biased since typology was never useful for me individually.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Not sure how it can be said that ENTPs aren't planners, they also work with what they have in front of them. Because they first plan and then do. They are also external to the plan and rigid in their ways of sticking to it. Unlike the types with Se that mobilizes quickly and adapt accordingly.

I remember the early days on typeC, when all the Js were talking for eons of time on how good planners and world leaders they are and how that exceptionally distinguishes them from those puny p-types, who dont know jack about organisation. And while they talked, I was already working with responsibility for employees in organisation and management...

Let alone their attempts to tell a german about 'assumed punctuality lacks' caused by p-typedness :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm about as much halfway J/P as a person can be. Yeah I've heard it's contrary to the theory. Half of the time I'd like to find the "true" MBTI type for me, half of the time not. I can't get this goddamed MBTI obsession out of my life. But, I faithfully do the test about twice a year, and faithfully write down the most recent results. You can kick me in the head if I'll get rid of the MBTI.

But..
the ENTP descriptions do suck

Move past type if it causes this kind of agonising, it's not worth it.

It's also not that important, but I'm biased since typology was never useful for me individually.
If in 2000 I was 100% interested in type, in 2006 90% and now 70%, I can expect this attraction to typology to go away by the year 2050.

I'm halfway between deciding if MBTI gives me a good explanation of anything or not. Years come and go and my opinion changes.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm about as much halfway J/P as a person can be. Yeah I've heard it's contrary to the theory. Half of the time I'd like to find the "true" MBTI type for me, half of the time not. I can't get this goddamed MBTI obsession out of my life. But, I faithfully do the test about twice a year, and faithfully write down the most recent results. You can kick me in the head if I'll get rid of the MBTI.

But..
the ENTP descriptions do suck

They do suck in many ways. They paint ENTPs as being lazy and not capable of organization when I often shock people with how well i can put things together when i want to. I find that Ne-Ti-Fe can all keep shit together but in a different way from J types do.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
On the topic of complaining about the type descriptions; ENTJ descriptions fit me the best but I don't like them completely either, they paint a picture of a person who's somewhat more success-orientated than me, more achieving, hard-working etc.

Usually it works as an inspiration, often it's an accurate description of how I live my life, but often not.

If I measure the MBTI system by what it's given me, I see positive influence and some utility when looking at the ENTJ. Those descriptions have given the greatest impression that someone understands me. Hey, if one of the 16 types gives you even half a bit of inspiration, the system can't be all bad.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On the topic of complaining about the type descriptions; ENTJ descriptions fit me the best but I don't like them completely either, they paint a picture of a person who's somewhat more success-orientated than me, more achieving, hard-working etc.

Usually it works as an inspiration, often it's an accurate description of how I live my life, but often not.

If I measure the MBTI system by what it's given me, I see positive influence and some utility when looking at the ENTJ. Those descriptions have given the greatest impression that someone understands me. Hey, if one of the 16 types gives you even half a bit of inspiration, the system can't be all bad.

The MBTI type descriptions dont take into account your cognitive functions and ennergram type.They are based on shallow observable traits (INTPs are all logical, ESFJs all naturally people skilled) while cogntive functions or certain combos of such can affect your overall type. For example an ENTP can be very proactive and hard working but it would be for Fe approval and status (At least it is for me) while ENTJs can be laid back and easy going if they have a well developed Se-Fi.

MBTI type descriptions logic means that a sea sponge would be classified as a plant as it looks like one and doesnt move but looking deeper you an see it is an animal as it feeds on food not from sunlight. Basically you have to look deeper and see what makes you tick so to speak.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm about as much halfway J/P as a person can be. Yeah I've heard it's contrary to the theory. Half of the time I'd like to find the "true" MBTI type for me, half of the time not. I can't get this goddamed MBTI obsession out of my life. But, I faithfully do the test about twice a year, and faithfully write down the most recent results. You can kick me in the head if I'll get rid of the MBTI. But.. the ENTP descriptions do suck If in 2000 I was 100% interested in type, in 2006 90% and now 70%, I can expect this attraction to typology to go away by the year 2050. I'm halfway between deciding if MBTI gives me a good explanation of anything or not. Years come and go and my opinion changes.
why don't you take the kiersey jung test on the home page and let me know when you take it. I can help analyze the results

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jung was a quack. Myers and Briggs were weak sauce. Socionics is also a load of garbage.

Just stick to astrology and 'which 80s TV sitcom are you' type quizzes.

I'm a Late Period Happy Days, AKA, LPHD. We are known for being a bit zany, albeit traditional and also for jumping sharks. For a while I mistyped as a Diff'rent Strokes, then as a Diane Era Cheers.

I'm also a Sisko in the WSTCAY-TI system...that stands for the Which Star Trek Captain Are You Type Index. Siskos are known for being practical and fair-minded whilst having a deep, sensitive side; they are often said to be in touch with a spiritual or intuitive side but they keep this somehwat hidden from others or downplay that aspect of their personalities.

Very good stuff, very scientific.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, and debate ends up being a pet peeve of mine, too. And that's pretty much painted as the cornerstone of the ENTP personality.

Like, motherfucker, not everything is a fucking argument, and not every little bolt on the tower is a lynchpin that will tear the whole structure down when you remove it.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like the INFPs being fluffy bunnies stereotype. I think the ones that tend to be like this might be mistyped ENFPs.

Elusivity

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm ENTP 9, extremely well developed in Fe and pretty damn good at picking my battles and not being an asshole debater, unless someone is stomping on my principles. I look nothing like the type description, which also doesn't apply at all to 2 other ENTP 9s I know, nor the ENTP 3.

Another annoying thing that always gets me riled up: that lame stereotype of ENTPs as always jumping around, crazy enthusiastic, high energy, and having nothing better to do with life than being idiotic trolls. Ffft. Even ENTP 7s aren't that high energy when compared to our ESTP brethren.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I honestly don't know why anyone would give a shit.

I'm not 100% ENTJ-no one is 100% anything. It's just as close as you can get. I honestly think it's kind of pathetic to put so much time and energy convincing people you are something you're not-that's time and energy that could be just spent ust beingyour damned self.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes perfect sense that you don't want to take that label but ... is it really a label? MBTI is just a tool to find your strengths and weaknesses so you can improve yourself, and to be more capable of understanding and appreciating others. It's NOT a system that should define you, label you, or put you in a box. So if you really are an ENTP but don't like your type description, just ask yourself if you don't like it because it's ridiculous and so not you, or if you don't like it because it might have an element of truth to it. If the former, then just disregard those aspects of your type description because LUCKY YOU, YOU HAVE TRANSCENDED MBTI AND DON'T HAVE TO WORK ON THAT, YAY!!!! (Instead you can go work on self improvement elsewhere ... for room for improvement never ends until you die *exhausted sigh* .) If the latter, then just take it in stride and start turning your weaknesses into strengths whenever you're ready. :)

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jung was a quack. Myers and Briggs were weak sauce. Socionics is also a load of garbage.

Just stick to astrology and 'which 80s TV sitcom are you' type quizzes.

I'm a Late Period Happy Days, AKA, LPHD. We are known for being a bit zany, albeit traditional and also for jumping sharks. For a while I mistyped as a Diff'rent Strokes, then as a Diane Era Cheers.

I'm also a Sisko in the WSTCAY-TI system...that stands for the Which Star Trek Captain Are You Type Index. Siskos are known for being practical and fair-minded whilst having a deep, sensitive side; they are often said to be in touch with a spiritual or intuitive side but they keep this somehwat hidden from others or downplay that aspect of their personalities.

Very good stuff, very scientific.

Wait, then why are you here?

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I disliked them to the extent I went on a 8-year long denial of being of that type. ENTP. Crazy inventors, incoherent. Unable to plan. Flickering at every time. Overexuberant. Huh, what the fuck? It goes on. Unable to behave like a person, instead arguing all the time. Unable to see the big plan as they're just joking so much they're unable to plan for anything.

To add injury to the insult, I had a friend just like that, an ENTP, who was an incarnation of a Bad Example to me.

So seeing where I'm coming from, you can see why an ENTx doesn't want to take the ENTP label. Or, can you? Can you not?
To be honest, once I figured out my type and read the ENTP descriptions, I actually was rather pleased that it DID describe me. I'm talking the overall picture of a creative, clever, multi-faceted person who always figures out how to beat the system, can win any argument, and is really socially awkward. I knew that was dead-on when I first read it.

I'm not gonna say I agree with every word of every description. There are some that emphasize qualities of being effervescent and bubbly and outgoing, which isn't how the type works for me. There are some that emphasize debate as my sole mode of interaction, and I don't see it...I think 16Personalities is really bad at this in particular.

Then there's the stereotypes you find on forums like these...that ENTPs are useless. ENTPs can never be true visionaries or leaders because they never finish ANYTHING they start. If you invent something you're an ENTP (I fucking hate when people re-invent the wheel). ENTPs don't have any deeper understanding of anything (especially not human nature, no way are ENTPs insightful, I must be an INFJ). An ENTP can't have organizational gifts. Ne-doms love brainstorming in groups. Etc.

So yes, I feel your pain in that regard. But that being said, some of the stereotypes are actually true. I really DO suck at planning; I don't like to plan in advance and need to act in the moment (ie, "at the last minute" according to more structured types). I really HAVE struggled to put my life in order or choose a course of action or a career. I really DO live in chaos and filth.

Knowing that there's a sensible reason I've had the weaknesses I do has helped me combat them on my own terms, without feeling like I need to be sooper-organized and tidy like normal people and then always hating myself for falling far short of that. I understand WHY I need to operate the way I do, and also have gain insights on how to counteract that when it gets to be a problem. Etc. Self-acceptance, man.