• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Intuitive feeling lonely?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Has anyone felt lonely being one of the only intuitive in the room? I hated at times that I was the only N at room. I didn't think I personally knew some N times until I was in my mid and late teens. To this day, there are still some N's I haven't meet of a gender or personally know a type.

I'm not adverse to S types. I use to hang out at an internet cafe which was full of introvert of all types. EXXJ's were non-existence and there were a few EXXP's. I got along with all type there which which the population was half intuitive and half S. Even the conflict relations of types were able to get a long with each other.

However, it's a bit different being one of the NT types in a room which really bothers me. This happened to me at school or at the gym.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=24085]great_bay[/MENTION] - What exactly makes you feel excluded as an intuitive?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
[MENTION=24085]great_bay[/MENTION] - What exactly makes you feel excluded as an intuitive?

Being the only one of myself in the room of course. I hated being called or known as weird. I was always the least popular one in at school. However, at the internet cafe, I was modernly popular among the group of N friends.

/DG/

Being the only one of myself in the room of course. I hated being called or known as weird. I was always the least popular one in at school. However, at the internet cafe, I was modernly popular among the group of N friends.

And you know that every single person is a sensor all of the time? How can you be so certain of everyone's type unless you know them extremely well? Being "weird" is not a trait exclusive to intuitives. There are plenty of weird, unpopular, loner sensors.

á´…eparted

passages
Nope. All that matters is if I like the person and get along with them. It's independent of type.

I rather like sensors anyway.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. Earlier on I used to have the same thought process as you thinking everyone were sensors, oh was I wrong. Those who have Se in their functional stack can look more worldly, I mean with INJ's as an exception for some of them as they could dress more conservative.

Also what may be interesting to you as an intuitive may not be for some others. We are all raised with different influences, maybe those who use Fe and Te more often can selectively create social niches around and could unfortunately exclude you.

Alas, it is unfortunate this must happen to you. But oh well, it's not like I don't have the problem of being lonely either. However you did indirectly suggest you may as well have good times with a lot of intuitive friends, so there's that.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
And you know that every single person is a sensor all of the time? How can you be so certain of everyone's type unless you know them extremely well? Being "weird" is not a trait exclusive to intuitives. There are plenty of weird, unpopular, loner sensors.

You're right, I don't know every person in the room is a sensor. However statistics say that 75% of the population are S types.

/DG/

You're right, I don't know every person in the room is a sensor. However statistics say that 75% of the population are S types.

And yet, you haven't answered my question. Simply stating "because I'm an N and they aren't" does not answer why you feel this way.

People you don't like are just automatically sensors, huh?

You know, it seems as though a lot of people discover MBTI one day and test as some sort of intuitive type. They read about their result and find out that they're a "rare breed." Intuitive definitions are often geared toward hinting that intuition is "superior" to sensing. People suddenly have a reason to why they always feel different from everyone else. And they get smug about it. They come here to complain about how they're always suppressed by SJ types and that being an IN type makes them smarter and better all around. They're left out because they're better than everyone else and others are too stupid to understand them. Never mind that common types regularly feel alone and unable to connect on a regular basis.

Is that what you're here for? Is that what you've come to complain about? There are plenty of other judgmental threads for you to contribute to instead of making your own. Go ahead and browse for a bit and you'll find a myriad of "which types do you hate" threads that you can contribute to.

JjJot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sensors versus Intuitives... seriously?

In all fairness, by personal experience, intuitives need to solve this problem. I found solace in downplaying the spotlight effect, which seems to me to plague all kinds of intuitives, especially xNxJs.

The Spotlight Effect
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-big-questions/201111/the-spotlight-effect (does this link thing work?)

It is kind of hard to stomach that the cause is technically egocentrism, but it is easy to realize that just because you focus intently on you, doesn't mean everyone else is, hence a imagined spotlight. It definitely falls under the category of "what do you think others think of you".

Sensors are just as capable to be lonely... without exception, although in public they seem to be more naturally comfortable in their own skin.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Actually I was this way in school too. Elementary school anyway. I was that "one kid" who for whatever reason the entire class year decided to ostracize (except for maybe that 5% who didn't care and would talk to you anyway). I don't know if being "that kid" is a type thing but I can see how it might be particularly bad for an INTP. My INTP sister is kind of like that too. She finds it harder to socialize and she has different interests than most of her classmates. For both of us, however, it started to get better when we entered high school. I was at my best in college, I think.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You may have to just throw something out there and see who's picking up what you're putting down.

I do that sometimes when I don't know anybody in a room.

But I'm one of those introverts who gets mistaken as extrovert.

Tippo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
And yet, you haven't answered my question. Simply stating "because I'm an N and they aren't" does not answer why you feel this way.

People you don't like are just automatically sensors, huh?

You know, it seems as though a lot of people discover MBTI one day and test as some sort of intuitive type. They read about their result and find out that they're a "rare breed." Intuitive definitions are often geared toward hinting that intuition is "superior" to sensing. People suddenly have a reason to why they always feel different from everyone else. And they get smug about it. They come here to complain about how they're always suppressed by SJ types and that being an IN type makes them smarter and better all around. They're left out because they're better than everyone else and others are too stupid to understand them. Never mind that common types regularly feel alone and unable to connect on a regular basis.

Is that what you're here for? Is that what you've come to complain about? There are plenty of other judgmental threads for you to contribute to instead of making your own. Go ahead and browse for a bit and you'll find a myriad of "which types do you hate" threads that you can contribute to.

Yikes!

Raspberry_rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Been there! When I was a kid I didn't know many, if any other N types at school. I was constantly being seen as weird by everyone else, and as a fragile young ENFP it made me pretty miserable because all I wanted was to have friends :(I've always had a knack for finding other intuitives, ever since I can remember I've just known there was "this trait" that most people didn't have and whenever I found someone else who did I saw them as a kindred spirit. Finding MBTI made me happy because I was finally able to understand "that trait". These days, I have many wonderful S type friends who I love, but honestly I still prefer talking to other intuitives. Not because of some ego complex, just because they can understand where I'm coming from better, my S friends occasionally look at me like I have a third eye lol. I think the N loneliness thing is probably more common in N dominant types (INFJ, INTJ, ENFP, ENTP) but that's just my suspicion.