• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] p and j confused?

SwimmerGal97

I'm usually diagnosed as a p but am wondering if I could be a j. When taking a test I usually put how I act regarding school work (Im not a fan of being told what to do so often leave things until last minute then have no time to get it to the perfect standards I want to once I get going) however I don't feel comfortable all the time like this (I get stressed, don't like it when people aren't doing as they're supposed to etc). I'm not the bum sniffing suck up I initially sterotyped j's as but I'm doubting if I'm really a p as none of the p types seem to fit perfectly

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The preference is based on the overall scale. For example: I know many J types that won't compromise the hour they go to bed at night. On the other hand, there's a few J types I know that don't follow such rigid sleeping guidelines, but may be strict in other areas, like, having to eat at a certain time.

You might fall somewhere in the middle if it's more difficult to define. Personally, I see this preference as a dichotomy between focus and unfocused energy.

Alea_iacta_est

[Important: this is venturing into Socionics territory, for reasonable MBTI temperament equivalents, IJ = Ip, and IP = Ij]

A more useful way of figuring out if you are an irrational or rational type would be to analyze temperament in relation to stimulation and activity.

A greatly respectable user on 16types posted this great analysis concerning the topic:

Ej = Active because of Overstimulation (Participative)
Ep = Active because of Understimulation (Proactive)
Ij = Inactive because of Understimulation (Rejective)
Ip = Inactive because of Overstimulation (Retractive)

In relation to your situation:

The Ej temperament is mobilized and active as a reaction to the amount of work that is before them - they must get it done or they will feel overwhelmed and unproductive, perhaps even irresponsible.

The Ep temperament is back-and-forth about the amount of work that is before them - if the work is meaningful and interesting, they can be proactive and get things done, but if they are understimulated by the work before them, they will push it aside and look for something more stimulating, able to leave things for the last minute or leave things uncompleted for more intriguing ventures.

The Ij temperament, as implied above, is rather selective concerning the amount of work that is before them - if the work is meaningless and dull, or lacks any sort of incentive or purpose, then they can simply put it off until it is absolutely necessary to be completed. However, the Ij temperament is often noted for its sense of responsibility and obligation, which in turn creates a sort of stimulation to complete the work in of itself.

The Ip temperament is exasperated at the amount of work that is before them - unlike the Ej temperament, the Ip temperament does not attempt to fight off feeling overwhelmed by actually completing the work, they try and fight it off by avoiding it, or walling themselves from it to try and maintain their internal harmony. Unlike those of the Ij temperament, who are inactive due to the lack of stimulation the work provides, those of the Ip temperament feel that the amount of work is overbearing and overwhelming, and feel that they simply need to retreat from it for a little bit or a long while. Thus, they most often push things to the last minute.

Now, more interestingly, these behaviors invert when a person is stressed - the regular behavior concerning the temperament of the person transitions to the behavior of the dual temperament. This transition can best be explained by the pleasing effect the Super-Id perspective has on a sociotype, and the need for positive psychological stimulation against stress that drains the psyche.

What this means is that, under stress, one can often observe:

• Ejs acting like Ijs.
  • Ijs acting like Ejs.
  • Eps acting like Ips.
  • Ips acting like Eps.

Ejs, when overly stressed, might attempt to cut through work that is unnecessary, but might still attempt to persevere out of a sense of obligation and responsibility to getting the work done.

Ijs, when overly stressed, might attempt to tackle all of the work needing completion at once out of a fear of being overwhelmed.

Eps, when overly stressed, might collapse inward and begin avoiding work, trying to find some sort of internal harmony that can protect themselves against breaking mentally.

Ips, when overly stressed, might expand outward, lashing out against the overwhelming amount of work that besieged them in an attempt to overpower them and finish it.

Hopefully this helps in some way.