• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Most difficult type to diagnose?

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If they're a type 9, it can be hard sometimes to distinguish between INFP and ISFJ. INFP 4s are pretty clear cut, but 9 can throw a wrench in things. ESFJ and ENFP is a pretty big mix-up too. Spongebob is a big example. IRL I think ESFJs can be averse to their own type if they initially test as ENFP, because of limited online descriptions. Also they might be focusing too much on how they appear to others (ESFJ 2s can easily present as stereotypical ENFPs, especially nowadays when being quirky and free-flowing is socially desirable) while not focusing enough on why their mind leads them to that kind of behavior in the first place. I think ENFPs (especially 7s) will entertain any possibility though. I typed as ESFJ 7w6 for like a day or two. Mentioning @Starry here just because she also brings up the ESFJ/ENFP phenomenon a lot too. :D
An ESFJ 2 acting quirky and seeming ENFPish is literally the perfect description of one of my dearst friends. Maybe I've just rubbed off on her over the years. I might bring out her Ne side. She's clearly an ESFJ though when you sit down and talk to her about how she thinks and her motivations. She is absolutely an Fe user through and through.

Then again, I've known plenty of ESFJs who don't seem ENFPish at all—an example is my mom. Could be a generational thing.

Back to the original question, I find that INFPs and INFJs can look very similar on a surface level. But I don't think I mix them up too much, you just have to wait to see some evidence of Fi or Fe. Unless it's Fi looking like Fe because Fi has decided to value Fe traits. Then again, I have one very close INFP friend who I would never consider an INFJ in the slightest. His Fi is off the charts (plus he exhibits some very stereotypical perceiver behavior, he's a reliable friend but is rather forgetful in other areas).

For me, ENPs sometimes just say something that screams "Hi, I'm an ENP." Being an ENFP, I think I'm pretty good at spotting them.

Another typing that can be tricky is when certain introverts are really comfortable around people and start to act like extroverts. The aforementioned INFP friend is one such example. Someone who heard the two of us talking might think "Oh look, two ENFPs having a lovely chat about everything." I'm not sure if all introverts have this mood though. I've had many good introvert friends who seem introverted even when among close friends or in a comfortable situation.

I have confused ENFPs with ENTPs as well. I initially thought a friend of mine was an ENTP, but they told me that they're an ENFP. After getting to know them better, I agree. I thought ENTP because I associate Ti with being blunt and straightforward over Fi, and this friend is quite blunt and straightforward. They definitely use Fi though even though it manifests rather differently than mine.

ENFP friend and I also had very different upbringings (same culture, but different socio-economic status, political environment, religion, how urban of an area we grew up in, and family situation). I think that's probably why our Fi seems a bit different in what we emphasize and where we draw the line.