• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] At what age do one's cognitive functions become too developed to be typed?

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Or rather, what is the age range where one can be accurately typed generally speaking?

Additionally, are some types more inclined to have more equally developed functions earlier on or in general that would make it more difficult to type them?

What could contribute to someone being developed with regard to cognitive functions at a young age? I suspect this might not alway be a positive thing btw.

**note** I know I am new and I am asking a lot of questions. I'm sorry if I am annoying you all, but I am rather curious about this stuff, so the good news is it will likely stick in my brain and I likely won't have to ask again.

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I'm confused what made you think there is an age when people can no longer be typed. People can always be typed because they will always have an order of preference and comfort with the different functions...

I hope I'm misunderstanding and you meant at what age are someone's functions developed enough to be accurately typed. In that case I agree with Hard for a universal cutoff but in reality mid teens would probably be fine.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
**note** I know I am new and I am asking a lot of questions. I'm sorry if I am annoying you all, but I am rather curious about this stuff, so the good news is it will likely stick in my brain and I likely won't have to ask again.

:) i love the curiosity! it stimulates discussion among people who may have lost that spark a little. don't apologize for it!

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
I'm confused what made you think there is an age when people can no longer be typed. People can always be typed because they will always have an order of preference and comfort with the different functions...

I hope I'm misunderstanding and you meant at what age are someone's functions developed enough to be accurately typed. In that case I agree with Hard for a universal cutoff but in reality mid teens would probably be fine.

I meant both. I know someone can always be typed but at a certain point through life experience most people develop their other functions that they don't use as well, this sometimes makes it harder to pinpoint their true type. Also I really think there are some people that use more functions more completely naturally, or at least come off as they do...and I don't think it's type related, but I do think some types are harder to recognize than others. I've heard before that ENFP is one of the types that is hardest to recognize for example. I think I agree with Jungian theory but I also think its just a theory rather than a strict rule that fits every person perfectly.

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I meant both. I know someone can always be typed but at a certain point through life experience most people develop their other functions that they don't use as well, this sometimes makes it harder to pinpoint their true type. Also I really think there are some people that use more functions more completely naturally, or at least come off as they do...and I don't think it's type related, but I do think some types are harder to recognize than others. I've heard before that ENFP is one of the types that is hardest to recognize for example. I think I agree with Jungian theory but I also think its just a theory rather than a strict rule that fits every person perfectly.

Well, as a rule, N-doms are mask wearers and game players. If you have a good working concept of everything you can seem like anything. That doesn't make them hard to type though, unless you only see them under one set of circumstances. They are hard to type only when they control the information they give. Not with reliable access to how they actually process information.

The thing, at least with MBTI, is that the structure and preference of functions seems arbitrary if you don't understand how they are supposed to be working together. Functions are not 8 isolated chunks of brain mass that shrink and grow independently.

For example, Ni collects information through Se. Fi collects information through Te. I actually imagine that these relationships are physical variations, meaning N/S and T/F respectively are probably cut from the same cloths. All parts of someone's personality need an external and internal component for them to function as a human being. Ni does not collect information through Si, for example, because you can't create information about the world from some isolated process that doesn't interact with it.

So the illusion of the isolated cognitive functions is a misunderstanding.

Yes, there's flexibility here... You could use a lot of Ni and very little Se, for example, or they could be more balanced. But the theory holds that you develop one function first, which essentially means that its counterpart will remain comparatively underdeveloped. That pattern seems true to the reality.

There's actually very little going on here. If Ni/Se is a thing, and Fi/Te, Ti/Fe and Si/Ne, then there are really only four building blocks to one's type, they just come in different ratios from person to person.

To simplify almost too far, if N/S and T/F are kindred, probably all MBTI is actually explaining is the proportion and localization of white vs grey matter.

And think about it, what would be the point of having equal function preference? People have limited brain matter, it doesn't vary THAT much. If you divide a person's specialty up four ways, you're creating four disjointed retardations. You have to specialize to be excellent, if we consider average human capability as excellent, and it is. So you get one dominant function with an underdeveloped counterpart, to get you in the door and functioning, and later you get a, I don't know, "backup dominant" or auxiliary function with its own counterpart to round out your personality so you can function as an adult who needs to at least get by in things they are not specialized to do.

That's my perspective, hope it's bot too vague and helps a little. Anyone should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. It's just what I've strung together.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well, I know my grandfather is an ISTJ, BUT I relate to him a ton. He's quite old, and wrote some books. ;)

He's extremely successful financially. I don't know exacts, but he sounded like the stereotypical definition of Scrooge coming from my mother. Now he isn't. My ISTJ brother thinks of him as god. I think it is funny.

This is my empirical data that this does happen. At what age? Well, I don't know. :p

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
Or rather, what is the age range where one can be accurately typed generally speaking?

Additionally, are some types more inclined to have more equally developed functions earlier on or in general that would make it more difficult to type them?

What could contribute to someone being developed with regard to cognitive functions at a young age? I suspect this might not alway be a positive thing btw.

You are carrying around a few misconceptions:
1) You think even development is possible and even ideal. But in typology even-development is impossible. Its a model based on opposites. To be able to have one function you have to block out its opposite by definition.
2) You cannot develop other/extra functions as well, if you could, it would only be possible in exchange for sacrificing your previous function.
3) The older you get, the EASIER it is to type you. Its hard to type babies since they don't carry a load of rationalities and you can't talk to them. The older you get the more your actions and way of talking will reveal your type, you will come more and more invested in your type. Even the wrinkles in your face, the way you have pulled your facial muscles all those years will reveal it. It might be hard to accept it. But you are not god, not all you want to be, you are not "the all", you are just one type out of "the all". It actually helps you attain success if you can understand it. It will help you focus on your strengths and find people around you (other types) who join your cause and cover your weaknesses

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1) You think even development is possible and even ideal. But in typology even-development is impossible. Its a model based on opposites. To be able to have one function you have to block out its opposite by definition.

Jung said he thought more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted. What's your authority for the idea that it would be "impossible" for someone to be essentially in the middle on any of the Jungian/MBTI dimensions?

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
Jung said he thought more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted. What's your authority for the idea that it would be "impossible" for someone to be essentially in the middle on any of the Jungian/MBTI dimensions?

I think you misinterpreted me. Let me clear the air.

I did not say you cannot be in the middle of E/I as a general type. Of course you can be in the middle of Ne-Ti, or Si-Te or whatever first 2 functions of MBTI. The functions don't exist as machines, they are just pre-setup locations on the spectrum.

the only thing you can't be in the middle of, is in the middle of opposites, unless you cancel them out. If you are in the middle of Te-Fi for example, then you void this dimension (implying you must be Ti or Fe, if you are not a dead stone).

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I think you misinterpreted me. Let me clear the air.

I did not say you cannot be in the middle of E/I as a general type. Of course you can be in the middle of Ne-Ti, or Si-Te or whatever first 2 functions of MBTI. The functions don't exist as machines, they are just pre-setup locations on the spectrum.

the only thing you can't be in the middle of, is in the middle of opposites, unless you cancel them out. If you are in the middle of Te-Fi for example, then you void this dimension (implying you must be Ti or Fe, if you are not a dead stone).

Jung's observation that more people are in the middle on E/I than are significantly extraverted or introverted can't be explained in terms of opposite-attitude dom and aux functions of equal strength. For one thing, Jung said the auxiliary function couldn't be as strong as the dominant. More importantly, and as discussed in this two-part post, Jung's function stack called for the auxiliary to have the same attitude as the dominant.

And finally, as further discussed in this post, Jung attributed the ambiversion of the "middle group" to the fact that they were "less differentiated" than his types.

Jung viewed extraversion/introversion as the most fundamental division underlying his types, and spent more of Psychological Types talking about the personality characteristics he thought extraverts tended to have in common and introverts tended to have in common than he spent talking about all eight of the functions put together. And Chapter X — the only part of Psychological Types where he gets into the functions in any detail — is organized accordingly. The first half of the chapter is devoted to "The Extraverted Type" and the second half to "The Introverted Type" — and the eight "function-types" consist of four varieties of the "extraverted type" and four varieties of the "introverted type."

By contrast, the ambiverted "middle group" that Jung said was the most numerous of the three groups (and represented the "normal man") was made up of people who Jung said were neither extraverts nor introverts.

PerfectlyConfused

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2) You cannot develop other/extra functions as well, if you could, it would only be possible in exchange for sacrificing your previous function.
3) The older you get, the EASIER it is to type you. Its hard to type babies since they don't carry a load of rationalities and you can't talk to them. The older you get the more your actions and way of talking will reveal your type, you will come more and more invested in your type. Even the wrinkles in your face, the way you have pulled your facial muscles all those years will reveal it. It might be hard to accept it. But you are not god, not all you want to be, you are not "the all", you are just one type out of "the all". It actually helps you attain success if you can understand it. It will help you focus on your strengths and find people around you (other types) who join your cause and cover your weaknesses

So why do I type myself as ENTP in my teen/early 20s and come up as ENFP in my late 20s, and now have confliction between them? I started personal growth on ALL sides before I even knew any thing about MBTI/Jung.

I'm suprised to hear this from an ENTP to be honest. Maybe it's because i'm a Left handed ENTP, so I have high creative ability/interests as well.

So you're saying it's impossible to focus on one, develop it to a strength, then focus on the opposite, whilst NOT losing the strength of the other? Well you might lose some skills but the foundation and structural work will still be there. You'll just have more problems TESTING for it, because you won't know which to answer!

You don't block the opposite at all, and if you do, it can be a temporary thing. All of my function bar 3 are 70%+, and i'm in my late 20s.

MadTeaParty

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd say it depends on a person. E.g. my parents - I still haven't managed to quite type my mum, because all her functions seem to be very well-developed. But you could probably tell my dad's ISTJ as soon as you met him. So I don't think it's the question of age, but rather how much effort you put into your development.

summerdaze

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can see this. Things like work or social environment, or even self-awareness and wanting to strengthen weak spots in your personality, would muddy early strengths/preferences.

I'd even argue: how much extra value is there really in knowing your "native" type? Besides just satisfying curiosity. Is it just as useful to know what type you tend to Now and even what type you might aspire to be? If your cognitive functions shift in strength and maybe priority of use.

We could even look at cog functions as tools, the more tools you have skill using, the better off you are. You might start out being better at using some but that's no reason to limit yourself to those.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Functions don't ever become fully developed. I imagine its easier to type someone at a younger age, about 15-30.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Again, it's not based on age, but maturity.
When a person realises they don't have to unnecessarily express themselves, thus typing them would be hard.
But once again when a person reaches that state, he'd be wise enough to know about him/herself.
Sometimes tyoilogy tests become inaccurate, because a person is effected by what he'd learnt from the others, and it's called improvement

In my earlier posts I had pointed out that the 'perfect' type is one with balanced cognetive functions as there's no domination in the pairs, both work effectivly ..

I'm personally very close frim balancing my FeelingXThinking functions as people start suggesting me I'm a feeler, I'm not though, the point is they're even convinced that I'm one.

So as a person matures the dominationg effect lightnes and the person starts to consider many things he never cared thought or cared for before, humans learn to thibk in new ways and learn new things, which makes their actions less efected by their personalities and rather to do what's right and choose what's right.

But of course they remain the same personality (their brains operate the same way, they act in a better way)

One important point is that the enviroment makes it easier for certai. Types to improve and get mature faster before other types, that's why I was surprised to meet an impressively mature INFP at collage, it's something you wont see everyday.
Generally sensors can grow up easier as they just watch and learn while intutives are confused at the ridiculous part of life.
Oh and poor INTJs are never to be understood.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It goes farther than maturity.

It depends on so many factors.

Egocentrism vs sociocentrism
Adaptability
Personal drives
Individual convictions and subjective values thereof
Flexibility

In short, how well can you integrate the extremes of your personality into your daily life. If not at all, you'll probably end up an untypable bore by the end of your life.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Regardless of age I've never met anyone who did not fall into a Temperament type (NF, NT, SJ, SP). But yes, the older someone is the longer it takes to suss out all four letters. But I think it is a natural thing to become a little trickier to type at first sight the older someone is; ideally, we smooth out and 'become less' of one type as we 'become more' adaptable and abiding.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
So why do I type myself as ENTP in my teen/early 20s and come up as ENFP in my late 20s, and now have confliction between them? I started personal growth on ALL sides before I even knew any thing about MBTI/Jung.

I'm suprised to hear this from an ENTP to be honest. Maybe it's because i'm a Left handed ENTP, so I have high creative ability/interests as well.

So you're saying it's impossible to focus on one, develop it to a strength, then focus on the opposite, whilst NOT losing the strength of the other? Well you might lose some skills but the foundation and structural work will still be there. You'll just have more problems TESTING for it, because you won't know which to answer!

You don't block the opposite at all, and if you do, it can be a temporary thing. All of my function bar 3 are 70%+, and i'm in my late 20s.

I think there are a lot of reasons why your assessment of your type may change, starting with the fact that most personality tests are really, really bad. Modern Western education has a bias toward the thinking function and if you are an intelligent, sensitive and aware person, you may tend to suppress or dislike the feeling function in favor of the thinking one -- plus some test questions are along the lines of "Are you tenderhearted or tough-minded?" -- "tenderhearted" I think nowadays has a rather negative connotation, like you have posters of kittens on your walls. As you get older you may become more sure of yourself, or you may take a better personality test, or you may read more thoroughly and better understand what the feeling function actually represents.Note that I wrote at the start that your assessment changes -- I think type is pretty well established by the late teens. But I also think that as you get into middle age your personality may change to the extent that your auxiliary, third and fourth functions develop -- at least for some people. Your type won't change, but functions other than your dominant one can become stronger -- so an ENTP may develop his introverted thinking and extroverted feeling and actually manage to remember to send his mom flowers on Mother's Day -- this won't turn him into an ISTJ, just a more mature ENTP typologically speaking. He will never notice if his mom gets a new hairstyle because extroverted sensing is so far down the list of his functions that it probably never will develop -- so no, you probably can't choose an arbitrary function to strengthen, that would just lead to frustration or making a fool of yourself.