• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] TiFe

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Is this combination of cognitive functions even possible, if so would it be considered a distinct type on its own or would it heavily depend on the last two functions?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean with Ti as dominant and Fe as secondary? No, not according to Jungian theory, at least. Thinking and Feeling always occupy an axis and if one is dominant, the other must be the inferior; if one is secondary, the other must be tertiary, according to MBTI. The same holds true with intuition and sensation.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is this combination of cognitive functions even possible, if so would it be considered a distinct type on its own or would it heavily depend on the last two functions?

ExTPs use Pe-Ti-Fe-Pi, so perhaps those with more developed function stacks can successfully utilize the two in tandem.

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
You mean with Ti as dominant and Fe as secondary? No, not according to Jungian theory, at least. Thinking and Feeling always occupy an axis and if one is dominant, the other must be the inferior; if one is secondary, the other must be tertiary, according to MBTI. The same holds true with intuition and sensation.

Why is that the case in jungian theory?
ExTPs use Pe-Ti-Fe-Pi, so perhaps those with more developed function stacks can successfully utilize the two in tandem.

I've never heard of Px or Jx before I came here, what exactly are they...or rather, how do they work?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've never heard of Px or Jx before I came here, what exactly are they...or rather, how do they work?

Basically, the Myers-Briggs system is built on a framework of cognitive functions (Thinking, Feeling, Intuition, and Sensing). These four functions break further into Introverted and Extraverted orientations to make eight (Ti, Te, Fi, Fe, Ni, Ne, Si, and Se). Thinking and Feeling are Judging functions and Intuition and Sensing are Perceiving functions. Judging can be denoted with Ji or Je, depending on the orientation, and Perceiving can be likewise denoted with Pi and Pe.

So Ji refers to Ti or Fi, Je refers to Te or Fe, Pi refers to Ni or Si, and Pe refers to Ne or Se.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Introversion opposes Extroversion,
Sense opposes Intuition,
Thought opposes Feeling.

They are quite contradictory in nature as overarching facets of personality.

Say a mother and father are informed their son has been charged for murder - the evidence against their son is overwhelming. The father is caught by feeling and the mother is disposed toward thought. Feeling will override these facts, the feeling person may know their son is good and could not do such a thing - Jung calls it an act of accommodation. The mother however will see the evidence as it is and conclude their son is indeed perhaps guilty.

It's as if sense were the universe pure and serene, thought would be the math of its order. Feeling is the subjunctive clause that binds the experienced to experience. For shits and giggles, intuition is the film room of the mind, akin to Kant's Transcendental Deduction - "the act of putting different representations together, and grasping what is manifold in them in one cognition". You can see in this also how sense and intuition are of polarity when given preference one for the other.

I hate doing things like this because I don't feel like I'm giving the whole story. But alas, I don't have forever.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is that the case in jungian theory?

Because ego tries to repress its opposite. When Ti is dominant, it is dominant because its most favoured by the ego, so ego will freely adjust based on Ti, while its total opposite Fe is both extraverted attitude and feeling, which both are opposites to Ti. Therefore ego sees Fe as something unwanted and disturbing of Ti's(and egos usual) process, and represses it as much as possible. However Fe still has its effect onto the person, but its not so much controlled by will(i.e. conscious control), but more affected by complexes and other unconscious factors. That is not to say that Ti dom couldnt train their Fe by going agains the wishes of the ego, but it takes time and Fe will never be as fluent as Ti is to Ti dom, because Ti is what the persons brains have developed mostly to processing.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
skimmed everyone else's post, but TL;DR-

The theory hinges on the idea that judgment happens against perceptions, which kind've makes sense to me IMO. If decisions (judgments) were made in a vacuum with no content to make a decision about, what would be the point? I always think of functions as metaphors for cognitive processes that happen in pairs; Fe+Si and Fe+Ni both use Fe, and will have an intrinsic similarity to how they work, but the focus and outcomes may be very different. Ti likewise would be paired with Se or Ne, with appropriately differing focuses involved. TBH, while I've always read that an Introverted Judgment function is paired with an Extroverted Perceptive function (i.e. Ji + Pe), I'm not 100% sure on the logic behind that. Lenore Thomson certainly drives the point home though.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
According to theory, no, this is not possible; I find dysfunctional Ni/Se or even Si/Ne to be more likely, since Perceiving is the first step.