• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Flexible Brains Study and Cognitive Functions

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard this piece on the radio yesterday. Research was done on brain flexibility and what that means on a physiological level. I couldn't help but wonder if this correlated at all with cognitive functions. It seems that some types or functions may be more disposed to flexibility of thought than others.

Here's the interview.
Study Of 'Flexible Brains' May Aid Injury Understanding : NPR

Thoughts?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even without reading the whole thing, i can see that this is about brain plasticity. This is how it all goes: You have your genes, which dictate which parts of your brains develop easier than others. What comes out is a person that is his/her genes interacting with the environment(from what nutrients you get to how you use them to build your body, which includes your brains). Because of genetic influences children dont react to same stimuli similarly. For example if you take two kids who are raised by same parents, one child might have genetic influences to be more introverted and one might have more extraverted genes. So if a mother is loud and too smothering for the babies, one might react with positive attitude, but one might be more scared and thus react with anxiety. Even tho the environment is similar in this case, the genes pull out different reactions in different babies. This was obviously just an example, but similar things happen through the lifetime. Naturally as the babies grow, they start to adapt to this sort of things better in more balanced ways(or in some cases where the environment is not supporting the persons genetic disposal, they might react in more unbalanced ways). I think that for functions its more about genetic influences. Like NTP will react with NeSiTiFe, but one ENTP might act more like an INTP, while one INTP might act more like an ENTP than the ENTP acting like INTP. Because for NTP the genetic influence is more Ti/Ne than Fe/Si, you see NTPs less often pondering if they are ESFJ or INTP, than people ponder on whether they are INTP or ENTP(also because of this some INTPs who are more in tune with their Ne might get ENTP in tests and vise versa). Im bit drunk so im rambling maybe you figure out my point from that. Also when people are young, their brains are more plastic than what they are when they grow up, this and the fact that kids naturally rely on what they trust in themselves, they first start to develop their dominant function(although life might push them to use other functions in unhealthy amounts early on) and the dominant ofc dictates the inferior as well, because inferior is the opposite of the dom, and therefore represents the opposite of the most developed and because of this and the fact that kids naturally rely on their strengths(dom function mostly), the inferior gets repressed more than aux/tert, which are not in opposition to dom(also similar repression/trust in aux does the same for tert than dom does to inferior, but to a lesser degree). I think i might have something else to this topic also , but thi is what came out now :D

Slate

I was in the neurosciences before my current direction, as mentioned in the earlier post, the topics is neuroplasticity. It doesn't correlate to a mbti function at all, and I'd advice a more broad / less mbti focus when dealing with real sciences.

Its essentially the ability of parts of your brain to pick up tasks from another part

Here is an example here
Extraordinary Brain: Woman's Missing Cerebellum Went Unnoticed for 24 Years

"the cerebellum, which means "little brain" in Latin, is responsible for coordination and fine movements, such as the movements of the mouth and tongue needed for producing speech. People with damage to this brain area typically experience debilitating motor difficulties. Yet contrary to the doctors' expectations, the Chinese woman's absence of the cerebellum resulted in only mild to moderate motor problems and slightly slurred pronunciation, according to the researchers. "This surprising phenomenon," demonstrates the plasticity of the brain early in life, they wrote.

"It shows that the young brain tends to be much more flexible or adaptable to abnormalities," said Dr. Raj Narayan, chair of neurosurgery at North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New York, who wasn't involved with the woman's case. "When a person is either born with an abnormality or at a very young age loses a particular part of the brain, the rest of the brain tries to reconnect and to compensate for that loss or absence," Narayan said."

Genetics literally determines everything in regards to what you are capable of. The plasticity of your brain is also genetically determined, but its a way of allowing our brains to adapt to the environment without having to change our genetic code. Whether that means becoming more violent to stay afloat in a physically aggressive environment (brain reconnecting violent impulses to match environmental needs), limiting function lost from injury and passing onto a healthier segment of the brain, etc.