• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Small rant on the trend of mistyping

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
  • "Blah blah people mistype themselves, who would've guessed?"
  • "Sooo why do you care? I'm not gonna listen to you anyway"

Now that that's out of the way... ;)

Many people say the same thing for enneagram, that most people are 9s and 6s and that basically no one is a core 4. (I think it gets more complicated with the enneagram partly because some believe in tritypes where that 4 might show up behind a 9 or 6, and some don't, blah, blah, blah.)

I think some of the things holding people back are stereotypes that aren't accurate (especially with S vs N), and the fact that particularly with enneagram, we might recognize some of the deep pain and vulnerability we experience somewhere in one of the numbers (like... 4 or like... sx :blush:) and so if someone tries to say You're wrong! You're not that type! it's almost akin to them saying that our experience of pain and vulnerability are somehow not valid, or are not valid enough. So with those typings, in particular, it's very difficult not to take them personally.

Are you kidding me? I've known I was a Four since junior high school. I've never heard anyone say there are no Fours!

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I dunno man, as much as people say that N's are far more common on the internet it really does seem that the vast majority of people online can't made a Goddamned connecting ( namely in reading comprehension) to save their damned lives.

Seriously though, Ii think one of the problems is that this a forum where we can only see behavior-and even then it might not be the best representataion-I personally believe actions are so much more important than words-it may be called a 'personality type, but it's less about personality and outward behavior but the driving functions, which aren't always as easy to see.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
A problem of mistyping in my opinion may happen because the test takers themselves do not put enough effort to try to identify themselves. They may not be interested enough to understand themselves. Sensor types tend to get themselves busy with their making decision, taking action, practicing; rather than researching thoroughly about the topic theoretically. In addition, the MBTI testing instrument itself seemed to be oversimplified to the extent that solely follow the test results will easily experience mistyping.
Although Myers successfully develop the MBTI to get the Psychological types more practical and more accessible for common people, it becomes less accurate, which may be a little bit disappointing for some.

Shadow Play

So looking at MBTI communities EVERYWHERE people type as intuitives left and right distorting the real traits of these types because most of them are in fact, mistyped.

Mistyped on what basis? That's the issue I have with accusations of mistyping, considering there isn't a consistent framework where everyone is on the same page. Instead, what we have are people who prefer one framework accusing others of being wrong from within their own framework, even when those who are accused often arrived at that type through a very different process.

You can suck the uniqueness out of categorical systems surrounding personality, but you can't stifle the importance of individual variation (no matter how small the variation) for the people involved.

Wouldn't there be more individual variation without types? Imagine if everyone here decided to remove the types from their profiles. Instead of having a label we could refer to as a means of gauging their personality, we would have to resort to actually getting to know that person.

I wonder if this is why so many people remove their type from their profile after they have been here for a long time. It is no longer magical, and the illusion disappears as well as the fun. Or maybe they get tired of being analyzed that way. :thinking:

I could say INTP is my type because that's what I most often test as when answering in "shoes off" mode, save for the occasional INTJ or ENTP result. However, I draw a distinction between saying what type I would show up as for statistical purposes, and defining myself as an INTP. Individuals are so much more than those four letters.

I can’t say whether one system is more correct than others or does a better job of testing functions to give people a richer understanding of who they are. I’m not even sure it really matters. If an ESTJ wants to call themselves an INFP, who are we to say no? If it’s giving them an understanding of themselves they didn’t have before I think that’s probably a good thing. If it’s not, that’s on them. If it stinks as a system and doesn’t help anyone, no one will use it.

I agree that it doesn't really matter whether or not an individual is mistyped. I mean, I could argue that mistypes could be an issue when they lead people off the rails from actual personality preferences, such as introverts typing themselves as extraverts because they're "cognitively extraverted", but so many mistype accusations are based on the premise that there's such a thing as a one true type. It's different from saying "you're not something" when it's "you're not something because you're actually something else".

rav3n

Time for a truth bomb people will either secretly or openly hate me for:

SJ= 40.5% of the population
SP= 33% of the population
NT= 12.5% of the population
NF= 14% of the population

So basically we have 73.5% sensors and only 26.5% intuitives. Now we know all about that N bias around MBTI communities, extremely likely coming from mistyped sensors who have deeply seated self-hatred issues and want to feel special (because you know, muh rarity percentages).

So looking at MBTI communities EVERYWHERE people type as intuitives left and right distorting the real traits of these types because most of them are in fact, mistyped.

Of course TypoC is no exception, from what I could tell the vast majority of users are typed as some sort of intuitive, and don't get me wrong, I've accounted for the fact that MBTI as a theory might attract more intuitives than sensors, but the numbers still don't realistically add up.

"Blah blah people mistype themselves, who would've guessed?" - probably someone in the near future after I post this

Well listen, I don't have an issue with people that genuinely attempt to type themselves properly but they just mess it up, I have an issue with people who lie to themselves, modify their behaviors unnaturally and even chastise others for not accepting this fake image they're trying to create. And of course, they refuse to accept the truth no matter how irritatingly obvious it is.

MBTI should be used as a tool to help people to understand themselves better, not as some fantasy character creator for people who can't accept themselves.

Don't even get me started on the people that use circular reasoning and all sorts of delusional arguments to explain why you're wrong and how it makes such perfect sense that they're a special snowflake with whatever magical abilities they seem to believe a certain personality type has.

So take a step back, get out of your imaginary world and accept reality, you're most likely a mistyped sensor. <- This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, it's directed towards the community at large which needs to take a second look at themselves and accept reality as it is. Learn the functions and their dynamics properly and don't type yourself based on stupid tests or vague, idealized/biased descriptions of types or whatever.

"Sooo why do you care? I'm not gonna listen to you anyway" - again, probably someone soon after I post this thread

I know, you do you. But this is a fact which I think most people are actually aware of(and they're either in denial or they don't care much either way) which is not talked about often enough in my opinion, all of these things which are so painfully obvious and yet, people seem to be ignorant of it all, most likely by choice, which is pathetic.

Sooo yeah, this is mostly a rant, but in the end it's all true(and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just look around) I felt like this had to be said, and it probably won't mean much, if anything at all but who knows, maybe someone out there appreciates the truth being spoken out loud and even though rather unlikely, maybe someone is gonna wake up from their fantasy after reading this and who knows, maybe it'll end up helping them somehow.

I dunno, have fun y'all :whistling::shrug:

tenor.gif
This is why I avoid helping people type themselves anymore since if you suggest a type they don't want to be, things can get pretty ugly.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Wouldn't there be more individual variation without types? Imagine if everyone here decided to remove the types from their profiles. Instead of having a label we could refer to as a means of gauging their personality, we would have to resort to actually getting to know that person.

Er..yes?

That was my point?

Essentially the vast majority of us, myself included, are painfully average & just adequate enough to survive. But this is a painful psychological pill to swallow, so personality types are an example of where people can latch on to something that helps to buffer against this uncomfortable reality.

Although this is often an unconscious urge and buried deep down inside an individual. It's hard to get people to strip away those layers of protective self-delusion (which may in fact be a necessary part of mental health in some aspects) and still being able to say you believe in some truth of typology, would be very surprising to me.

Of course another way to look at this is learning to be happy with your mediocrity, after all it is only the status-value obsessed, who see everything in the cut & dry of winners vs losers, who seem (conveniently for them) hell-bent on making everything about that dichotomy as a simplified version of reality. But that hole can never be filled or saited and so without a healthy balance of other perceptive aspects, you will be living an extremely disatisfying existence.

It's why, outside of typological systems and ideas, engaging with the senses is such a valuable part of being in the world.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've used to mistype myself a lot. I've circulated between each of the 8 intuitive types. Each "change" of type led to me being more honest with myself, so I believe mistyping can be beneficial and more of a journey towards self-knowledge.
The only problem is when you introduce yourself as a type you've mistyped yourself as and then some people may make inadequate some observations on that type.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I may come later in this thread but I would link to point three things about the first post.

First, these numbers arent global. They come from the US. There is not a single world MBTI research, at least not as far as I know.

Second, I have my archives and Im a little bit lazy to re-find my sources, but in my archives I have types for Australia, Brazil, France (unreliable source), South Africa, Japan and United States. The only type that is consisntently rare among countries are INFJ and ENFJ. INTJs, INTPs and INFPs are >9% each of Japan population. ENFP type is common (>9%) in more than one country as far as I remember. ENTP as far as I remember never gets common but it almost never rare either. ENTJ are common in Brazil (>9%) (and ESFPs arent abundant in Brazil).

Third, if you access 16personalities, they have a whole world data that cames only from their online test. It has an explosion of introvrted intuitives and ENFP in comparison to the few significant offline searchs. For this website, INFP is the most common type on the US.
United States Personality Profile | Country Personality Profiles

| 16Personalities

But of course is not. It happens that introverted intuitive types and ENFPs search about these personalities stuff. The regular sensing people just dont care to show up in significant terms. Intuitives are more drawn to the internet and social media (including the forum), I could even point out some website search which I forgot what social websites was that were full of intuitives either. There is a good variety on that matter.

So, by these reasons I dont think we should have a big bunch of sensor pretending to be intuitives here.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
What are the benefits of being N in real life? Absolutely nothing. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable. Just because everyone is special doesn't mean that nobody isn't unique. There's probably enough individuals who do dislike themselves and so on, but I just ... don't see the point of actually speculating and being all frustrated over it. If it doesn't vibe, just leave...? I imagine though, people with issues tend to weed themselves out if they're antisocial enough. This forum's good like that. There's more problematic individuals and ideas floating around other forums more, it seems (eg. denigrating S types as if there aren't any S types around to read their egocentric nonsense).

There's way too much armchair psychology involved... I don't see why others' types matter that much. At the end of the day, it's simply less of a pain to remove your type from your profile so that you don't get any of these weird assumptions about you, whether on an individual level, or on a more general level.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
If a person studying typology happened to mistype themselves, unless they don't really care about it, It will be advisable for them to ask others opinion by starting a thread in a sub forum : What is my type. I was wondering that why some type that I identify as Extroverted feeler do care about others mystyping. But, It is not really my issue. I always think that if others mistype themselves, that's their problem. The most important thing for me is that getting my type correct, so I can apply some interesting insight I learnt from this theory to my problem in the real life.
I have some problem after leaving academic life In my professional life. But I found that a professional life doesn't really that challenging for some sensor type. Some sensor type that I found have been able to make a living by working professionally even since they are a teenager or sometime since they are a kid. This is my issue with intuitor type I identify myself as. Discussion participant should realize that If intuitor type seemed to have a lot of time reading and posting in internet forum, they should question: Aren't they supposed to be busy in their professional life ?How could they have the opportunity to post in internet forum?
[MENTION=31909]Ogata[/MENTION]. I agree with you. An intuitor type tends to be habitually less practical. To know that you are an intuitor type, is to understand that you are a less practical person.

An intuitor that I found could deal with even more dangerous risk: becoming psychopathic, like a late mathematician called John F Nash (an intuitor type), a Nobel Laureate in Economics. He was diagnosed to suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, and had to be hospitalized for 36 years. A sensor type although very good in their professional life they may experience a suicidal episode. A lot of artists (sensor type): like Kurt Cobain, Whitney Houston,Vincent Van Gogh, and some sportsman, like Chris Benoit, ended their life in suicide although money is not really a problem for them anymore.

I myself suffered from hypersomnia (self diagnosis) for months during my research and when I was employed in an executive position, which ended up in losing the job.
An advice that any typology student is that they should get their type right. Combination of psychic energy already exist in their psyche. If they mistype themselves, the psychic energy within themselves won't change either. Mistyping yourself is somewhat like a self deception for me.

Last edited:

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
What are the benefits of being N in real life? Absolutely nothing.

Being able to be more open minded (N+P), being able to have a single but good accuratted vision of the future (N+J), being able to deal better with abstract thinking, being able to visualize things easier, like Albert Einstein visualizing light traveling in space, avoid overloading on the mind or being able to deal with more information by having intuitive thought/thinking.

As it is modeled by MBTI, every trait is supposed to have its pros and cons, but being rare or common is not a pro and con.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Being able to be more open minded (N+P), being able to have a single but good accuratted vision of the future (N+J), being able to deal better with abstract thinking, being able to visualize things easier, like Albert Einstein visualizing light traveling in space, avoid overloading on the mind or being able to deal with more information by having intuitive thought/thinking.

As it is modeled by MBTI, every trait is supposed to have its pros and cons, but being rare or common is not a pro and con.

If every N type on this planet were Einstein...

That was a rhetorical question, btw. You'd think an N type would see that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Agent Washington said:
What are the benefits of being N in real life?

I thought the other day, that there's so much benefit to being an N in terms of the arts and science, technology, and so forth, but what are the benefits if you're an animal?

And obvious examples came to mind of: it would help you predict the movements of predators/prey, help you find food/water sources beyond what you can see etc. so there are clear benefits.

The next question, see if you can figure it out: what is the benefit to Fe if you're a hermit?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I thought the other day, that there's so much benefit to being an N in terms of the arts and science, technology, and so forth, but what are the benefits if you're an animal?

And obvious examples came to mind of: it would help you predict the movements of predators/prey, help you find food/water sources beyond what you can see etc. so there are clear benefits.

The next question, see if you can figure it out: what is the benefit to Fe if you're a hermit?

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
At the end of the day, it's simply less of a pain to remove your type from your profile so that you don't get any of these weird assumptions about you

That was a rhetorical question, btw. You'd think an N type would see that.

:D lol

I answered the rhetorical question aiming to disagree with part of the content. The rhetorical question was supporting that being an intuitive is is good because its rare, and it has nothing beyond that. I just pointed that there is beyond that, and that being rare or not is not on the pro or con list.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
:D lol

I answered the rhetorical question aiming to disagree with part of the content. The rhetorical question was supporting that being an intuitive is is good because its rare, and it has nothing beyond that. I just pointed that there is beyond that, and that being rare or not is not on the pro or con list.

Cool. I don't care. The qualities you list are personal, not a result of being N or S.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that INxJ type codes and xNxx types in general are handed out like candy from traditional MBTI tests. Also, stereotypes and some blog posts may pass off common traits as traits of an xNxx type. I used to think that I was an INFJ, although I am pretty far from being Ni-Fe.

As for enneagram, I agree with [MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] about people mistyping as a 4. Sometimes, I think that I am a 4 (I can see how I would be in the reactive triad, I am creative, and I am envious) I cannot relate to the 4's core fears and motivations and I cannot see how I would disintegrate into 2. If anything, the image type I can relate the most to is 3.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, OP. I dont hate you for it, infact I think you are a saviour.

If only people ever listened and dropped the blantant obvious lies they spew out, our society would have been looking like this:
4482a93fcb0224e37983741d85130faf.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, people are often mistyped.

However, it's also true that more intuitives care about typology and are inclined to seek out online forums to discuss it.

I see it irl too. The sensor people I know never really care about it. It is theory based after all.

Obviously some do or you'd never see them on these forums but it's more rare, I think.