• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Small rant on the trend of mistyping

Amberiat

Infinity
Time for a truth bomb people will either secretly or openly hate me for:

SJ= 40.5% of the population
SP= 33% of the population
NT= 12.5% of the population
NF= 14% of the population

So basically we have 73.5% sensors and only 26.5% intuitives. Now we know all about that N bias around MBTI communities, extremely likely coming from mistyped sensors who have deeply seated self-hatred issues and want to feel special (because you know, muh rarity percentages).

So looking at MBTI communities EVERYWHERE people type as intuitives left and right distorting the real traits of these types because most of them are in fact, mistyped.

Of course TypoC is no exception, from what I could tell the vast majority of users are typed as some sort of intuitive, and don't get me wrong, I've accounted for the fact that MBTI as a theory might attract more intuitives than sensors, but the numbers still don't realistically add up.

"Blah blah people mistype themselves, who would've guessed?" - probably someone in the near future after I post this

Well listen, I don't have an issue with people that genuinely attempt to type themselves properly but they just mess it up, I have an issue with people who lie to themselves, modify their behaviors unnaturally and even chastise others for not accepting this fake image they're trying to create. And of course, they refuse to accept the truth no matter how irritatingly obvious it is.

MBTI should be used as a tool to help people to understand themselves better, not as some fantasy character creator for people who can't accept themselves.

Don't even get me started on the people that use circular reasoning and all sorts of delusional arguments to explain why you're wrong and how it makes such perfect sense that they're a special snowflake with whatever magical abilities they seem to believe a certain personality type has.

So take a step back, get out of your imaginary world and accept reality, you're most likely a mistyped sensor. <- This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, it's directed towards the community at large which needs to take a second look at themselves and accept reality as it is. Learn the functions and their dynamics properly and don't type yourself based on stupid tests or vague, idealized/biased descriptions of types or whatever.

"Sooo why do you care? I'm not gonna listen to you anyway" - again, probably someone soon after I post this thread

I know, you do you. But this is a fact which I think most people are actually aware of(and they're either in denial or they don't care much either way) which is not talked about often enough in my opinion, all of these things which are so painfully obvious and yet, people seem to be ignorant of it all, most likely by choice, which is pathetic.

Sooo yeah, this is mostly a rant, but in the end it's all true(and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just look around) I felt like this had to be said, and it probably won't mean much, if anything at all but who knows, maybe someone out there appreciates the truth being spoken out loud and even though rather unlikely, maybe someone is gonna wake up from their fantasy after reading this and who knows, maybe it'll end up helping them somehow.

I dunno, have fun y'all :whistling::shrug:

tenor.gif

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
My Te wishes I were more Se.

It can’t work with this silly Ninsonse.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  • "Blah blah people mistype themselves, who would've guessed?"
  • "Sooo why do you care? I'm not gonna listen to you anyway"

Now that that's out of the way... ;)

Many people say the same thing for enneagram, that most people are 9s and 6s and that basically no one is a core 4. (I think it gets more complicated with the enneagram partly because some believe in tritypes where that 4 might show up behind a 9 or 6, and some don't, blah, blah, blah.)

I think some of the things holding people back are stereotypes that aren't accurate (especially with S vs N), and the fact that particularly with enneagram, we might recognize some of the deep pain and vulnerability we experience somewhere in one of the numbers (like... 4 or like... sx :blush:) and so if someone tries to say You're wrong! You're not that type! it's almost akin to them saying that our experience of pain and vulnerability are somehow not valid, or are not valid enough. So with those typings, in particular, it's very difficult not to take them personally.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
You can suck the uniqueness out of categorical systems surrounding personality, but you can't stifle the importance of individual variation (no matter how small the variation) for the people involved.

I have to urge to write something like "I don't know why people care so much?" but we all know the reason.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if this is why so many people remove their type from their profile after they have been here for a long time. It is no longer magical, and the illusion disappears as well as the fun. Or maybe they get tired of being analyzed that way. :thinking:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You can suck the uniqueness out of categorical systems surrounding personality, but you can't stifle the importance of individual variation (no matter how small the variation) for the people involved.

I have to urge to write something like "I don't know why people care so much?" but we all know the reason.

I actually don’t.

I agree that people are individuals, regardless of MBTI/ Enneagram, and that’s why I don’t get it. Life experience shapes us so much than these labels.
So you’re a 6 or a 9. You aren’r EVERY six or nine. What’s wring with being happy just being you?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually don’t.

I agree that people are individuals, regardless of MBTI/ Enneagram, and that’s why I don’t get it. Life experience shapes us so much than these labels.
So you’re a 6 or a 9. You aren’r EVERY six or nine. What’s wring with being happy just being you?

You're clearly not a 6. Or a 9. Or a 4. ;)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Time for a truth bomb people will either secretly or openly hate me for:

So basically we have 73.5% sensors and only 26.5% intuitives. Now we know all about that N bias around MBTI communities, extremely likely coming from mistyped sensors who have deeply seated self-hatred issues and want to feel special (because you know, muh rarity percentages).

So looking at MBTI communities EVERYWHERE people type as intuitives left and right distorting the real traits of these types because most of them are in fact, mistyped.
Are you assuming that the various types are equally likely to frequent online forums, or forums oriented toward personality theories?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Are you assuming that the various types are equally likely to frequent online forums, or forums oriented toward personality theories?

Yeah, I can see that N’s might be more likely to frequent forums more than S’es.

I can also see how that could be slightly less true since the internet has become a far nore invasive and nessecery part of lves.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I honestly question this. If so many are mistyped, then where did numbers for the whole population come from?

I suppose people do their best with the information they have. They may be wrong, they may be right. The point is to keep learning until you no longer give a rip.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Mbti doesn't have any benefit to knowing. There's nothing useful about knowing your type-no room for self growth, real life application, improvement, it's just a badge of pride. You show off your type. This is unlike enneagram which is more in depth and significantly more individual. With integration/disintegration etc., it is much more of a tool for growth and really depends on getting your type right. It's also different from socionics which goes much deeper into the theory, and also has relationship compatibility, so again there's a lot more incentive to get your type right and extra benefits/applications.

Basically, mbti is a dead end. Getting a type means nothing-there's no benefit to knowing other than to show it off. So people are much more likely to mistype because it doesn't matter. Socionics and enneagram are better tools and actually have deeper applications, so it's more important to type yourself properly.

You're making an assumption without any evidence, other than what other people type themselves which could be wrong.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I’d compare typing systems to religions. There are a lot of variations on the same theme: trying to understand who we are given our limited understanding of what causes that. Similar to religions, trying to understand the world around us given our limited understanding of how it came to be.

I can’t say whether one system is more correct than others or does a better job of testing functions to give people a richer understanding of who they are. I’m not even sure it really matters. If an ESTJ wants to call themselves an INFP, who are we to say no? If it’s giving them an understanding of themselves they didn’t have before I think that’s probably a good thing. If it’s not, that’s on them. If it stinks as a system and doesn’t help anyone, no one will use it.

As far as types on a typology forum, in my opinion you’ll get more introverted intuitives. It’s a medium that works well for us, maybe moreso than other types. I think because you have people self selecting to be here you’ll have a disproportionate number of certain types. Facebook on the other hand would be more likely to represent all of society and I’d imagine type percentages there would be reflective of the rest of the world.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mbti doesn't have any benefit to knowing. There's nothing useful about knowing your type-no room for self growth, real life application, improvement, it's just a badge of pride. You show off your type. This is unlike enneagram which is more in depth and significantly more individual. With integration/disintegration etc., it is much more of a tool for growth and really depends on getting your type right. It's also different from socionics which goes much deeper into the theory, and also has relationship compatibility, so again there's a lot more incentive to get your type right and extra benefits/applications.

Basically, mbti is a dead end. Getting a type means nothing-there's no benefit to knowing other than to show it off. So people are much more likely to mistype because it doesn't matter. Socionics and enneagram are better tools and actually have deeper applications, so it's more important to type yourself properly.

You're making an assumption without any evidence, other than what other people type themselves which could be wrong.
Actually, I was asking a question.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I’d compare typing systems to religions. There are a lot of variations on the same theme: trying to understand who we are given our limited understanding of what causes that. Similar to religions, trying to understand the world around us given our limited understanding of how it came to be.

I can’t say whether one system is more correct than others or does a better job of testing functions to give people a richer understanding of who they are. I’m not even sure it really matters. If an ESTJ wants to call themselves an INFP, who are we to say no? If it’s giving them an understanding of themselves they didn’t have before I think that’s probably a good thing. If it’s not, that’s on them. If it stinks as a system and doesn’t help anyone, no one will use it.

As far as types on a typology forum, in my opinion you’ll get more introverted intuitives. It’s a medium that works well for us, maybe moreso than other types. I think because you have people self selecting to be here you’ll have a disproportionate number of certain types. Facebook on the other hand would be more likely to represent all of society and I’d imagine type percentages there would be reflective of the rest of the world.

It's funny because a large part of why I joined a forum for typology is because I assumed there would be a much greater of people.

...I got tired of the "nerdy fandom gaming forums full of " Intuitive Introverts" (and toxic AF nerds).

The irony. Still, this place is a vast improvement.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
N correlates with openness to experience, which is quite correlated with overall intellectual curiosity.
Being on a typology forum and spending one's time navel-gazing and introspecting hardly is a neutral position to be in, and thus often pretty indicative of N in the test. This is also not a 'stereotype' -- that very bias tends to be made by Ns who think if you don't do these things, you're boring, and thus think it's insulting to be called an actual S (which I don't hold to).

However, it's worth noting that I think Jung's idea of what an N is probably was more extreme than what an N in the MBTI is. For instance, I think many scientist types (with tremendous intellectual curiosity/high in Big 5 Openness) might be, to someone like Jung, a ST type, whereas many are legitimate NTs in the myers-briggs framework. Perhaps someone who is an especially speculative (so e.g. very theoretical -- something like string theory, which is significantly motivated by intuitive correctness and not so nose-to-ground) scientist would fit the spirit better. Or a mystical intuitive, which is closer to the intuitive Jung gave. I think of many other scientist attitudes as basically "T-doms" with good S and also some good N, but ultimately driven by how the world actually is/putting particularly speculative theorizing in the backburner for the most part.

So part of the issue is presuming there's a really obvious identity between the two, even though the MBTI certainly was implemented after putting Jung's dimensions into a more statistically based inventory.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
This is all based on the assumption that the research is correct. I guarantee it's not. You can't even get all the "pros" on one page when it comes to verifying type. Also, it's currently a pseudoscience.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
There are domains that are even more homogenous than type forums. Ns being way more likely than Ss to join a type forum isn't exactly out of the question.