First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are you assuming that the various types are equally likely to frequent online forums, or forums oriented toward personality theories?
    Yeah, I can see that N’s might be more likely to frequent forums more than S’es.

I can also see how that could be slightly less true since the internet has become a far nore invasive and nessecery part of lves.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amberiat View Post
    SJ= 40.5% of the population
    SP= 33% of the population
    NT= 12.5% of the population
    NF= 14% of the population
    I honestly question this. If so many are mistyped, then where did numbers for the whole population come from?

I suppose people do their best with the information they have. They may be wrong, they may be right. The point is to keep learning until you no longer give a rip.
    Chase the adventure. Cherish the joy.

Cu·ri·ous
    adjective
    1. Eager to know or learn something.
    2. Strange; unusual.

INTP ~ 9w1 2w1 5w6 so/sx ~ Burned Hufflepuff

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    ISFj Fi

Mbti doesn't have any benefit to knowing. There's nothing useful about knowing your type-no room for self growth, real life application, improvement, it's just a badge of pride. You show off your type. This is unlike enneagram which is more in depth and significantly more individual. With integration/disintegration etc., it is much more of a tool for growth and really depends on getting your type right. It's also different from socionics which goes much deeper into the theory, and also has relationship compatibility, so again there's a lot more incentive to get your type right and extra benefits/applications.

Basically, mbti is a dead end. Getting a type means nothing-there's no benefit to knowing other than to show it off. So people are much more likely to mistype because it doesn't matter. Socionics and enneagram are better tools and actually have deeper applications, so it's more important to type yourself properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are you assuming that the various types are equally likely to frequent online forums, or forums oriented toward personality theories?
    You're making an assumption without any evidence, other than what other people type themselves which could be wrong.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I’d compare typing systems to religions. There are a lot of variations on the same theme: trying to understand who we are given our limited understanding of what causes that. Similar to religions, trying to understand the world around us given our limited understanding of how it came to be.

I can’t say whether one system is more correct than others or does a better job of testing functions to give people a richer understanding of who they are. I’m not even sure it really matters. If an ESTJ wants to call themselves an INFP, who are we to say no? If it’s giving them an understanding of themselves they didn’t have before I think that’s probably a good thing. If it’s not, that’s on them. If it stinks as a system and doesn’t help anyone, no one will use it.

As far as types on a typology forum, in my opinion you’ll get more introverted intuitives. It’s a medium that works well for us, maybe moreso than other types. I think because you have people self selecting to be here you’ll have a disproportionate number of certain types. Facebook on the other hand would be more likely to represent all of society and I’d imagine type percentages there would be reflective of the rest of the world.
    ”Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    Likes Zhaylin, asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by badatlife View Post
    Mbti doesn't have any benefit to knowing. There's nothing useful about knowing your type-no room for self growth, real life application, improvement, it's just a badge of pride. You show off your type. This is unlike enneagram which is more in depth and significantly more individual. With integration/disintegration etc., it is much more of a tool for growth and really depends on getting your type right. It's also different from socionics which goes much deeper into the theory, and also has relationship compatibility, so again there's a lot more incentive to get your type right and extra benefits/applications.

Basically, mbti is a dead end. Getting a type means nothing-there's no benefit to knowing other than to show it off. So people are much more likely to mistype because it doesn't matter. Socionics and enneagram are better tools and actually have deeper applications, so it's more important to type yourself properly.

You're making an assumption without any evidence, other than what other people type themselves which could be wrong.
    Actually, I was asking a question.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by mgbradsh View Post
    I’d compare typing systems to religions. There are a lot of variations on the same theme: trying to understand who we are given our limited understanding of what causes that. Similar to religions, trying to understand the world around us given our limited understanding of how it came to be.

I can’t say whether one system is more correct than others or does a better job of testing functions to give people a richer understanding of who they are. I’m not even sure it really matters. If an ESTJ wants to call themselves an INFP, who are we to say no? If it’s giving them an understanding of themselves they didn’t have before I think that’s probably a good thing. If it’s not, that’s on them. If it stinks as a system and doesn’t help anyone, no one will use it.

As far as types on a typology forum, in my opinion you’ll get more introverted intuitives. It’s a medium that works well for us, maybe moreso than other types. I think because you have people self selecting to be here you’ll have a disproportionate number of certain types. Facebook on the other hand would be more likely to represent all of society and I’d imagine type percentages there would be reflective of the rest of the world.
    It's funny because a large part of why I joined a forum for typology is because I assumed there would be a much greater of people.

...I got tired of the "nerdy fandom gaming forums full of " Intuitive Introverts" (and toxic AF nerds).

The irony. Still, this place is a vast improvement.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."
    Likes Sung Jin-Woo liked this post

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

With all due respect,
    The Cat.

I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...
    I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now.
    Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat?

Likes Amberiat, Zhaylin liked this post

Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

N correlates with openness to experience, which is quite correlated with overall intellectual curiosity.
    Being on a typology forum and spending one's time navel-gazing and introspecting hardly is a neutral position to be in, and thus often pretty indicative of N in the test. This is also not a 'stereotype' -- that very bias tends to be made by Ns who think if you don't do these things, you're boring, and thus think it's insulting to be called an actual S (which I don't hold to).

However, it's worth noting that I think Jung's idea of what an N is probably was more extreme than what an N in the MBTI is. For instance, I think many scientist types (with tremendous intellectual curiosity/high in Big 5 Openness) might be, to someone like Jung, a ST type, whereas many are legitimate NTs in the myers-briggs framework. Perhaps someone who is an especially speculative (so e.g. very theoretical -- something like string theory, which is significantly motivated by intuitive correctness and not so nose-to-ground) scientist would fit the spirit better. Or a mystical intuitive, which is closer to the intuitive Jung gave. I think of many other scientist attitudes as basically "T-doms" with good S and also some good N, but ultimately driven by how the world actually is/putting particularly speculative theorizing in the backburner for the most part.

So part of the issue is presuming there's a really obvious identity between the two, even though the MBTI certainly was implemented after putting Jung's dimensions into a more statistically based inventory.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

This is all based on the assumption that the research is correct. I guarantee it's not. You can't even get all the "pros" on one page when it comes to verifying type. Also, it's currently a pseudoscience.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes awbro, asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

There are domains that are even more homogenous than type forums. Ns being way more likely than Ss to join a type forum isn't exactly out of the question.
    the lone star flies alone
    Likes asynartetic liked this post