• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Which type is the most hypnotisable ?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Stage hypnosis is more or less an exersize in social conformity, and isn't actually a true form of hypnosis. It is a situation where it is acceptable and expected for people to step outside of themselves. Some are able to do this naturally, others aren't, and the person in one way or another has to be willing to participate. If the indivudal doesn't want to do it strongly enough, they won't.

I know. Everything about him is "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!"

I'm too lazy to dig up a Stuart gif, but you can use your imagination.

á´…eparted

passages
I know. Everything about him is "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!"

I'm too lazy to dig up a Stuart gif, but you can use your imagination.

I participated in stage hypnosis my senior year of high school when I was 17. there were like 300 people there and a bunch of former teachers of mine. I was one of the 6 that remained on stage the entire time due to being "under" consistently and very responsive. I stole the show apparently (I could kind of tell, but was told so afterwards) as compared to everyone else I was far more flamboyant expressive articulate and would do everything I was told fully. In some respect it was fun to me cause I felt like I got to "show off" and also got a lot of attention. In a weird way it I experienced doing it as an ego boost and validation.

During the entire experience, and going into it I had enough of a sense that if I wanted to I could "snap out of it" but I very much wanted to experience it all. I was terrified of the idea of hypnosis as a child (particularly the on stage form) but also secretly wanted to experience it. Very push-pull. Part of me wondered to if it was "real". It was confirmed to me that it wasn't nearly as invasive as I thought it was when I was told I would hear music coming out of my shoe. I didn't. Instead, I acted out the part because it was expected of me. It almost felt like I would get in trouble if I didn't respond to the suggestion, and respond in very convincing way. I sort of put myself in auto-pilot and largely tuned out all visual input so I existed in a very small contained space. There were several points where I felt very embarassed about what I was doing, and I actually didn't want to. The worst of them was the post-stage suggestion after we went to our seats. Mine was to jump up and down and loudly shout "I am a nerd and I am proud!" over and over off a cue word. The host absolutely loved how I responded and would just leave me going for upwards of 20 second clips. I really didn't like doing it, but I did anyway as it was expected of me and "part of the deal". My friend playfully tried to use the trigger word in the hallway after everyone left and I didn't react as it was officially out of context and didn't want to.

Basically, through my experience it showed I am really good at acting, adapting, and convincing people of what I want them to think my inner states and experiences were. This was a learned skill from having to survive around my neo-nazi father, actually. When he punished me, he expected that not only do I obey, but feel and think in a specific way, and if I didn't he would punish me further. He'd watch my body language and facial expressions and if I didn't show exactly what he wanted, or showed any sign of an internal state of not feeling bad, remorse, or acknowledgement I'd be in even further trouble. So, that skill dove-tailed really well in a stage hypnosis context. It's not so much that I am suggestive, but that when a situation calls for it or its socially acceptable, I can blend in completely.

The way I experienced it is just one of many ways people can experience stage hypnosis. If I ever went to one again I wouldn't allow myself to go into it, as there is no longer any appeal in doing so, and if anything I feel a very strong aversion to that sort of thing. I'm also very opposed to therapy hyponosis due to context-specific trust issues.

Edit: I shall do it for you:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=40267]ısoprene[/MENTION] - I know that it wouldn't work for me, and I'd never even end up on stage. The ex enjoys being the center of attention, and the more ridiculous, the "better". He has the YouTube channel to prove it (or so I hear... I refuse to look).

If you cannot tell, I hate him. Narcissistic lunatic, but entertaining during hypnosis I guess.

á´…eparted

passages
[MENTION=40267]ısoprene[/MENTION] - I know that it wouldn't work for me, and I'd never even end up on stage. The ex enjoys being the center of attention, and the more ridiculous, the "better". He has the YouTube channel to prove it (or so I hear... I refuse to look).

If you cannot tell, I hate him. Narcissistic lunatic, but entertaining during hypnosis I guess.

Particularly when I was younger I also loved being the center of attention and had narcissistic tendancies. At that age state hypnosis seemed like a fantastic way to achieve that end without really hurting anyone or taking anything. A part of me still does love being the center of attention (one of the reasons I adore public speaking), but not just for the sake of it. It needs to be genuine and not in self-fallatoing way like narcissists do (and they are often damn good at hiding the self-fallatoing aspect, that is until you know one and know how to see it).

Not surprised to hear you hate him. Show-off narcissists who love attention are emotional vampires to the extreme. From just that angle anyway.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Particularly when I was younger I also loved being the center of attention and had narcissistic tendancies. At that age state hypnosis seemed like a fantastic way to achieve that end without really hurting anyone or taking anything. A part of me still does love being the center of attention (one of the reasons I adore public speaking), but not just for the sake of it. It needs to be genuine and not in self-fallatoing way like narcissists do (and they are often damn good at hiding the self-fallatoing aspect, that is until you know one and know how to see it).

Not surprised to hear you hate him. Show-off narcissists who love attention are emotional vampires to the extreme. From just that angle anyway.

Oh, sorry... I wasn't trying to conflate "center of attention" with narcissism... I meant them distinctly. He just happens to be both. I'm sure attention whoring was something that we shared in common, especially as a duo/at that age, and was part of the appeal. It is now an enormous turnoff for me, even though on occasion I'm still guilty of it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stage hypnosis is more or less an exersize in social conformity, and isn't actually a true form of hypnosis. It is a situation where it is acceptable and expected for people to step outside of themselves. Some are able to do this naturally, others aren't, and the person in one way or another has to be willing to participate. If the indivudal doesn't want to do it strongly enough, they won't.
I agree with this, and my original comment was only for humor's sake.

I have done hypnosis and other altered states of consciousness with professional psychologists, and it requires letting go of the present reality in a way few people could do on stage with a thousand people staring at them. I helps to feel safe, for the environment to be familiar, lack of sensory intrusions. If this reality draws you back, then the altered state is broken. A stage is one of the least likely environments to support a hypnotic state. Maybe there are others states that could be evoked from the hyper-sensory and social overwhelm. Well, I guess a social conformity state.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I agree with this, and my original comment was only for humor's sake.

I have done hypnosis and other altered states of consciousness with professional psychologists, and it requires letting go of the present reality in a way few people could do on stage with a thousand people staring at them. I helps to feel safe, for the environment to be familiar, lack of sensory intrusions. If this reality draws you back, then the altered state is broken. A stage is one of the least likely environments to support a hypnotic state. Maybe there are others states that could be evoked from the hyper-sensory and social overwhelm. Well, I guess a social conformity state.

I do guided meditations/hypnoses in bed with earbuds sometimes. They are basically just exercises in deep relaxation and some sort of positive affirmation(s) or guiding toward a goal. I always fall asleep, which is fine with me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To add a simple context - hypnosis as a altered state is in the direction of sleep, so think of environments and people that you could fall asleep around and they would be more capable of invoking hypnotic states. There needs to be trust to let go of consciousness because it is a willfully chosen state of vulnerability. What types are trusting enough? What types can let go of present reality? What are the sleepiest types? 😵

edit: Ha kinda similar to above post. We posted almost same time.

Lark

Is it possible to find any decent books on hypnosis and self-hypnosis? I've been searching for a long time and found nothing but junk, read a lot about the history of mesmerism but nothing that makes it seem like more than suggestion and suggestable people

CathyS

I think that would depend on a number of factors. Agreed, what is your definition??