• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP emotions processing

tetrahedral

MBTI Type
INTP
Being an INTP my self, emotions seem utterly confusing to me.
How do you guys process emotions when you experience them.
And what are the underlying factors that causes those buried deep down emotions to hinder your logical thinking and decisiveness.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I process emotions by identifying what the emotion is, asking why I feel it, and then doing something about it if possible. So say feel stressed, and turns out I feel that way because I really need to do laundry. After doing my laundry I feel better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And what are the underlying factors that causes those buried deep down emotions to hinder your logical thinking and decisiveness.

Everyone has emotions, even INTPs. INTPs can dismiss them from the conscious mind, they just tend to lurk in the subconscious if they are not explored and dealt with... and at some point the pressure will build until there's a "meltdown" moment to release the pressure, and then the INTP tends to operate again at their normal pace and functional ability.

One thing to learn is how to position yourself to your emotions. Your emotions are not an alien thing lurking around the edges of your psyche, they are generated from YOU -- your particular fears and vulnerabilities, your likes and dislikes. It is just that the conscious mind of an INTP is so aware of the rational process that it's easy to assume there are no emotional aspects. It's important to accept that you have some personal loves, hates, joys, and fears... and it's okay to have those things -- things that matter to you on a personal level, even if they are not able to be rationalized.

Once you are aware of them, you can take them into consideration when you do your normal reason-based processing... and you can also do things for yourself to either alleviate the pressure and fears or else treat the desire for joy and good things, to find happiness in your life. Some of that happiness no doubt filters into the rational pursuits (understanding life and things about life, making rational decisions) but there's also just a sense of balance vs imbalance, or pain vs absence of pain vs joy.

... which is a whole bunch of words to lead up to what Hermit is saying. You identify the emotion, you analyze it to determine why you might feel that way, and even if you can't, you then make decisions on how to deal with the emotion. Sometimes an emotion can be generated by something mundane. (It's kind of amazing how wigged out some people can get, for example, just when they've forgotten to eat.) But other times, maybe more drastic changes to life/strategies need to be made to alleviate or channel negative emotions or satiate good emotions.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everyone has emotions, even INTPs. INTPs can dismiss them from the conscious mind, they just tend to lurk in the subconscious if they are not explored and dealt with... and at some point the pressure will build until there's a "meltdown" moment to release the pressure, and then the INTP tends to operate again at their normal pace and functional ability.

One thing to learn is how to position yourself to your emotions. Your emotions are not an alien thing lurking around the edges of your psyche, they are generated from YOU -- your particular fears and vulnerabilities, your likes and dislikes. It is just that the conscious mind of an INTP is so aware of the rational process that it's easy to assume there are no emotional aspects. It's important to accept that you have some personal loves, hates, joys, and fears... and it's okay to have those things -- things that matter to you on a personal level, even if they are not able to be rationalized.

Once you are aware of them, you can take them into consideration when you do your normal reason-based processing... and you can also do things for yourself to either alleviate the pressure and fears or else treat the desire for joy and good things, to find happiness in your life. Some of that happiness no doubt filters into the rational pursuits (understanding life and things about life, making rational decisions) but there's also just a sense of balance vs imbalance, or pain vs absence of pain vs joy.

... which is a whole bunch of words to lead up to what Hermit is saying. You identify the emotion, you analyze it to determine why you might feel that way, and even if you can't, you then make decisions on how to deal with the emotion. Sometimes an emotion can be generated by something mundane. (It's kind of amazing how wigged out some people can get, for example, just when they've forgotten to eat.) But other times, maybe more drastic changes to life/strategies need to be made to alleviate or channel negative emotions or satiate good emotions.

I love this :wubbie: thanks :heart:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How is dealing with the emotion different/separate from dealing with the cause of the emotion, that is, with whatever led you to feel however you feel?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is dealing with the emotion different/separate from dealing with the cause of the emotion, that is, with whatever led you to feel however you feel?
Because there are different levels of reconciliation. It helps to understand what it is happening and why, but then you still have to deal with the emotion and what it means "emotionally". Because people, quite simply, feel things. Most of them, anyway.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I basically do the same as Hermit as well, I'm just very bad at it and only began processing things better more recently. My emotional skills are complete garbage.
(Since my type isn't listed and it's related...I type as INxP in dichotomies, INTP in functions since my Fi doesn't exist.)

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool

I basically do the same as Hermit as well, I'm just very bad at it and only began processing things better more recently. My emotional skills are complete garbage.
(Since my type isn't listed and it's related...I type as INxP in dichotomies, INTP in functions since my Fi doesn't exist.)

Actually i think about emotions as problems to be solve ... tho if the problem is beyond me i just hide it in the darkess part of my soul and only when i'm drunk and alone i can show it ... so sad .

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just ignore everything and wonder why the room is on fire.

But yeah, recognizing what you are feeling, and what makes you feel things is important. Learn to control them.

I used to be stubborn about ignoring them entirely. This did not result in healthy behavior.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I just ignore everything and wonder why the room is on fire.

But yeah, recognizing what you are feeling, and what makes you feel things is important. Learn to control them.

I used to be stubborn about ignoring them entirely. This did not result in healthy behavior.

I'm an intp too but is so funny when intps try to explain emotions .... It's like a kid trying to explain colors xDdd.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an intp too but is so funny when intps try to explain emotions .... It's like a kid trying to explain colors xDdd.

How can we see colors if our eyes are not real?

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
How can we see colors if our eyes are not real?

What is the point if nothing is real ....are you gonna waste your life in problems without solutions , nasa have like 100 genius per mt2 and they still can't solutions for theories which have more than 60 years old... Go ahead bro .

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is the point if nothing is real ....are you gonna waste your life in problems without solutions , nasa have like 100 genius per mt2 and they still can't solutions for theories which have more than 60 years old... Go ahead bro .

My problem is figuring out a problem to solve that isn't a fantasy.