• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI & Mental Health

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm a psychology major interested in the ways type affects expression of mental illness. I would appreciate if whoever feels comfortable doing so would fill out this survey.

For those who have a mental illness:

What is your MBTI?
What mental illlness(es) have you been diagnosed with?
How, in your own words, would you describe your personality?
Do you think your type affects the way you express symptoms of your mental illness, or even what symptoms you express?
If so, how?
Any other comments?

For those who don't have a mental illness:

What is your MBTI?
What are your coping methods for dealing with difficult or stressful situations and emotions?
How does your type affect the methods you use to cope?
Any other comments?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ
PTSD, GAD, major depression
Intense, laid-back, analytical, reserved
Analytical, I guess

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
INFP (debatable- its all debatable- but INFP is most likely)

Schizoaffective disorder, GAD, ADHD

Relaxed. I dont like describing my personality. The entirety of my person is something that goes beyond a few adjectives. Im me. And thats all that matters.

Not really except I probably internalize more than more extroverted people would. I dont really share information with people unless they absolutely need to know, and tend to try to shoulder things alone.

Also. When I get depressed I start to think very negatively about myself. I discussed this with someone else on here before, who was an Fe user- who said when they went through something similar they felt “that everyone hated them- and because of that there was something wrong with them” while... when I start feeling negative about myself my feelings are more “I have decided there is something terribly wrong/evil/defective about me”

Anyways. My brain feels foggy right now. I feel like Im not... saying what I want to say. Im not focused I guess. Maybe Ill come back later and see if I can... sharpen this up. My brains not “fully in it” right now.

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
ENFJ
PTSD, GAD, major depression
Intense, laid-back, analytical, reserved
Analytical, I guess

Those are an interesting choice of adjectives for an ENFJ. By "Analytical, I guess" are you saying your mental illnesses have made you intellectualize more as a coping mechanism than an ENFJ likely otherwise would?

INFP (debatable- its all debatable- but INFP is most likely)

Schizoaffective disorder, GAD, ADHD

Relaxed. I dont like describing my personality. The entirety of my person is something that goes beyond a few adjectives. Im me. And thats all that matters.

Not really except I probably internalize more than more extroverted people would. I dont really share information with people unless they absolutely need to know, and tend to try to shoulder things alone.

Also. When I get depressed I start to think very negatively about myself. I discussed this with someone else on here before, who was an Fe user- who said when they went through something similar they felt “that everyone hated them- and because of that there was something wrong with them” while... when I start feeling negative about myself my feelings are more “I have decided there is something terribly wrong/evil/defective about me”

Anyways. My brain feels foggy right now. I feel like Im not... saying what I want to say. Im not focused I guess. Maybe Ill come back later and see if I can... sharpen this up. My brains not “fully in it” right now.

That was a very clear and articulate answer from my perspective. Thanks for taking the time to fill this out.

rav3n

This is a link to a PDF that you can download, of a study about the correlation between 14 personality disorders (DSM IV) and MBTI. The sample size is 332 adults.

https://www.uccs.edu/Documents/dseg...igation-Jungs-types-and-PD-features-JPT-2.pdf

• ENTJ with no mental illnesses.
  • Determined.
  • I use distractions and physical activity to alleviate stress, et al, if there's no apparent way to fix the problem.
  • It's clearly Se aux in action. The above strategies occurred prior to delving into MBTI and JCF.
  • Nope.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are an interesting choice of adjectives for an ENFJ. By "Analytical, I guess" are you saying your mental illnesses have made you intellectualize more as a coping mechanism than an ENFJ likely otherwise would?

Yes. I have been told by psychologists that I am very emotionally avoidant and use intellectualization as my main coping mechanism

I tend to be more expressive through writing but am relatively deadpan in real life.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
INFJ (note: also noticeable effects of INFP, ISFJ and ESTJ, at least)

Schizoaffective and social anxiety

I would describe myself as a quite inactive, untalkative person, but with a constant desire to understand the world better and be a better person.

When I'm psychotic, I function at a higher level. I become more clearly INFJ in that I'm more imaginative and talkative (IxxJ types can be quite talkative), and I also become more physically active (contrasting with my usual state where it may be Ti that is emphasised). What's perhaps more signiciant though is my Ne and Fi become much more active than usual (psychosis corresponds to a significant increase in the awareness of unconscious contents). So, I generate many ideas, try to guess at what's going on behind the scenes and notice meaningful coincidences much more prominently, as well as being more emotional and reflective regarding my moral beliefs. There is also Te that shows up in the form of grandiosity and an enterprising spirit.

I associate social anxiety with my Fe, because I am generally monitoring social processes, so I have a high awareness of what is going on in an interaction. That awareness overwhelms me, and due to a fear of doing the wrong thing, I retreat into a seemingly stoic Ti front. It also relates to inferior Se, because I am overwhelmed by reacting to stimuli in the moment, whereas I can be much more talkative online where the stimulation is much lower.

I would assume that people going through psychosis in general have a heightened activity of their unconscious functions, but the difference in expression of their conscious functions likely depends on how their baseline of behaviour differs from their innate baseline (i.e. if certain factors have caused them to behave differently than would be prompted by the relative positions of their cognitive functions). I don't think there's much of a type correlation with psychosis (though there also may be). Social anxiety may be related to Fe more than any other function, but I think any type can be socially anxious.

In my case, presence of psychosis generally indicates a reduction in social anxiety, so there is likely some inverse relation between the two.

Mole

Permabanned
Mbti is a business cult. Mbti does not provide therapy. Mbti induces fantasy and validates neurosis.

Mbti does not lead to individuation rather it halts maturity at the level of children and adolescents.

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Mbti is a business cult. Mbti does not provide therapy. Mbti induces fantasy and validates neurosis.

Mbti does not lead to individuation rather it halts maturity at the level of children and adolescents.

It's strange to see someone trying so hard to dissuade people away from participating in what I'm assuming this forum is supposed to be about. What makes you feel this way?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's strange to see someone trying so hard to dissuade people away from participating in what I'm assuming this forum is supposed to be about. What makes you feel this way?

Honestly. Im just going to try to save you a bit of time and say moles been saying the same things for years and is always very roundabout when you ask for further explanation.

Im not trying to be mean but- so many people have asked the same questions/opened this line of questioning- and it just... it doesnt tend to go anywhere... so... you not knowing this is something that is an extreme reoccuring pattern...just trying to save you a small bit of time

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is your MBTI? ENTP, some like to say INTP so let's throw that in for amusement
What mental illlness(es) have you been diagnosed with? Aspergers, BPD and narcissistic tendencies, alexithymia, anxiety
How, in your own words, would you describe your personality? Quirky, weird, distant yet vocal, cautious yet opportunistic, introverted yet extroverted, sarcastic and witty, but can be intense, a delightful contradiction
Do you think your type affects the way you express symptoms of your mental illness, or even what symptoms you express? in theory pbd symptoms enhances my sensitivity with my Ne-Fe feedback
If so, how? Type would greatly express the WAY that they manifest yes. It makes obvious sense. And that's why many might not express it exactly the same. In theory dominant Ne and inferior Si are ultra effected as well, since substance use can enhance my Si body feel and terrify me into paranoid thoughts, while explosive Ne overdrive can cause me to take too much damn information all at once resulting in anxiety. And yet depersonalization can result in a total lack of awareness to 'feel' my surroundings when everything feels fake feeding into blind Se. In conclusion, MBTI is not meant for disorders. Once disorders enter the picture it warps the "MBTI" into a unique warped expression.
Any other comments?
Figured I'd play around with the ideas of this

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Honestly. Im just going to try to save you a bit of time and say moles been saying the same things for years and is always very roundabout when you ask for further explanation.

Im not trying to be mean but- so many people have asked the same questions/opened this line of questioning- and it just... it doesnt tend to go anywhere... so... you not knowing this is something that is an extreme reoccuring pattern...just trying to save you a small bit of time

I don't find this mean. Thank you for letting me know. I noticed you said you're most likely an INFP in your earlier post but type as ISFJ in your profile. Are you uncertain about which you are between the two?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't find this mean. Thank you for letting me know. I noticed you said you're most likely an INFP in your earlier post but type as ISFJ in your profile. Are you uncertain about which you are between the two?

Mmm its mostly a statement that I dont like taking typology too seriously. There are certain people who really overidentify with some of the... buzz words... of certain types. Especially especially the intuitive types. Those type descriptions are written in a way to make those types sound more special/superior- so you get lots of people who come on here just to identify with a type in order to validate certain feelings that theyve struggled with.

So partly- its because of all of that. But partly its just silliness.

(And of course- like any good 9- I can never be TOO sure on my self identity- I relate to too many possibilities- so yes- I do consider ISFJ a possibility... a lesser one slightly than INFP... but one I cant dismiss)

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
In conclusion, MBTI is not meant for disorders. Once disorders enter the picture it warps the "MBTI" into a unique warped expression.

I was wondering if you could expand on this more, especially in relation to personality disorders. Did you find it hard to type yourself due to your BPD? I imagine people with identity disturbance might struggle more with that.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was wondering if you could expand on this more, especially in relation to personality disorders. Did you find it hard to type yourself due to your BPD? I imagine people with identity disturbance might struggle more with that.

Yes. I have a pretty unstable sense of identity and it's hard to cope with and by extension harder to figure myself out.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes. I have a pretty unstable sense of identity and it's hard to cope with and by extension harder to figure myself out.

To some extent I think that mental disorders can warp type- but I more believe they warp behavior.

Like with me. I am an Ne user. Its what comes natural to me. Its how I learn, its expressed in my interests, and its expressed in the reasons why Im interested in those things.

But meet me in real life and I will probably not seem... kooky? Because I hage a disorder that warps perception- I have to work EXTRA hard to stay grounded in the real world. When something odd suggests itself to me- I have to take a step back and break it down. Whats the chances this is real? Even if there IS a chance- does it make sense when considering the larger picture? What do I risk losing if I allow myself to entertain this belief? Is it worth it. Ect. Ect. I have to do this CONSTANTLY- at EVERYTHING so that nothing get too BIG that I cant do this. Nothing pulls me away too hard from reality that I cant find my way back.

So. I have to take precaution that other INFPs might not. They might be able to entertain flights of fancy. Of rainbows and butterflies and the world being a wonderful and kooky place. Thats great for them.

Ive been beaten down too much for me to present that way. It doesnt mean that Im not a strong Fi user or a syrong Ne user- it just means that- Im a complicated human being with multiple components to who I am. Just because this type presents like this SOMETIMES doesnt mean if you dont present that way you arent that type.

Which is why I really value enneagram. Its a typology that DOES take into account things like health level- things like psychological damage- things like maturity- which all effect how types present.

Cognitive functions are forever. They are hardware in my opinion. Enneagram explains differences in software. Mbti is a frame that describes who you can be- and enneagram and life experiences decide how you fill that frame.

But thats just my own personal opinion. Now Ill leave this thread because I dont wanna derail it too far from its original purpose (which I love and think is a wonderful thing to explore) with my speculation!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is your MBTI?
INTJ

independent, guarded/distant, critical, exacting, creative, analytical

What are your coping methods for dealing with difficult or stressful situations and emotions?
Find the root cause and address it. If that cannot be done right away, then I look for something that can be done, and return to it later. I suppose that means I try not to focus on it, and shift my focus to something I can in fact do something about. If the stress becomes especially distracting, I will speak with my husband about it. As this explanation suggests, I don't do anything explicitly to try to deal with the emotions themselves. Addressing the root cause, or even figuring out how I can do that, usually is enough to dispel them.

It is very solution-oriented, bypassing the emotions themselves and analyzing the situation to find the cause.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
For those who don't have a mental illness:

What is your MBTI?

ENTJ

Bold in a sense of risk-taking. But very even tempered. I overly complain about things which seem insignificant while entirely dismissing everything from "significant" to "life changing." (From an observer it probably seems ridiculous but it's all about what we can control and what we cannot) I am not aggressive toward other people but very aggressive when going after something I want. It is probably an understatement to say that I am not emotionally reactive or expressive. Oh, and pragmatic to a fault.

Anger and stress are motivator.s. I don't think I have ever used the word "stressful" to describe a situation. It's more "exciting". I am the sort of person who prefers death to boredom so in difficult or dangerous situations I am just thrilled that " Holy shit! Something is happening!" and it's when I am at my best. Easily solved mundane "problems" just irritate and bore me and I tend not to deal with them.
Negative emotions I tend to repress. Expressing them does not solve anything.

I think that's putting the cart before the horse; my ability to cope makes me that type.

Any other comments?

Thought I have never been diagnosed-never asked -I do think I have anxiety about certain situations. At first it was simply that many people would tell me "There is a no way that would not leave a permanent,negative effect on someone." and I dismissed it but I have started realize that I do tend to behave irrationally in those situations and I think they may be right...just a little. I've also heard the word "Denial" thrown around a lot..which I'm not...dammit.