• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI & Mental Health

Mole

Permabanned
It's strange to see someone trying so hard to dissuade people away from participating in what I'm assuming this forum is supposed to be about. What makes you feel this way?

I advocate evidence and reason, while mbti is a form of hypnosis, quite like astrology.

And remembering the sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is your MBTI?
I'm typed anywhere between INTJ, INFJ, INFP, sometimes ENTP (mostly in real life)- including it because it may be relevant.
I don't relate to the stereotype of any of those (nor do I appear like any of them) so it wouldn't be too informative.
I put more stock into Enneagram however- tritype 53X (either 9w8 or 8w9, inclined towards the latter).

What mental illlness(es) have you been diagnosed with?
Major depression / later discovered to be Bipolar disorder, ADHD, social anxiety, PTSD.

How, in your own words, would you describe your personality?
I have Bipolar, so I'll explain the 'spectrum' of my personality;
Normal: cheerful, sanguine, and optimistic, seemingly extroverted, friendly, yet distant, deliberate, and cautious with a touch of coldness that is not obvious at first.
Manic: energetic, scattered, insensitive, sociable, arrogant, "looks like he has never doubted himself in forever, brimming with confidence".
Depressed/low: critical, impatient, brooding- anywhere between temperamental and combative or melancholic and cynical.

A common thread that remains in all states is a degree of cautiousness, even when manic.

Do you think your type affects the way you express symptoms of your mental illness, or even what symptoms you express? If so, how?
Sometimes I do. Also, definitely affects what I express- as a 5 core (or introvert in general), I default to detached thinking before acting as a main strategy in anything, so compared to others with ADHD and Bipolar, I am much more calculating and cautious than you might expect- I don't tick the 'obvious' outward symptoms checklist of impulsiveness, for example. If I had been a reactive or ID type like 4, 6, 7, 8, I'm sure I would appear much differently.

Any other comments?
I'd like to add that due to mental illnesses (or mood disorders, or personality disorders), descriptions of 'personality' would be very... Misleading, especially for those born with it. It's rather unstable due to the nature of the illness/disorder in itself (especially really unstable personality disorders like NPD, BPD, DPD) and does not characterize or even hint at the person's 'real' personality, not necessarily.
For example, my energy level / energetic appearance may not necessarily be a part of my personality, it is the mind in dysfunction and causing me to feel and become energetic. In other instances, it would not apply. An easy way to keep this in mind is depression as an example- it characterizes a person for a while, till it's gone. It (thankfully, for neurotypical 'healthy' people) does not 'change' their personality (or mindset, at least not forever), only what and how they manifest.

Last edited:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I advocate evidence and reason, while mbti is a form of hypnosis, quite like astrology.

And remembering the sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

Your artful dialect is always a wonder to behold.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
What is your MBTI?
INTP

Fucking idiot.

What are your coping methods for dealing with difficult or stressful situations and emotions?
Fucking idiot.

How does your type affect the methods you use to cope?
Fucking idiot.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
What is your MBTI? INFJ
What mental illlness(es) have you been diagnosed with? Schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type
How, in your own words, would you describe your personality? Moody as hell, fond of routine and safeness, (sp dom), loyal but critical of others, opinionated but trying to be open-minded
Do you think your type affects the way you express symptoms of your mental illness, or even what symptoms you express?
If so, how? Yes. INFJs can be very insecure and that is expressed in delusions of persecution.
Any other comments

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
I'm a psychology major interested in the ways type affects expression of mental illness. I would appreciate if whoever feels comfortable doing so would fill out this survey.

What option does one answer if they do not currently have a mental illness but have had one in the past?

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
What option does one answer if they do not currently have a mental illness but have had one in the past?

For those who do not currently have a mental illness but have had one in the past:
What is your MBTI?
What mental illness(es) were you diagnosed with?
What led to the resolution of the above?
Did your type affect the way you expressed symptoms? If so, how?
Did your type affect your recovery? If so, how?

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
For those who do not currently have a mental illness but have had one in the past:
What is your MBTI?
What mental illness(es) were you diagnosed with?
What led to the resolution of the above?
Did your type affect the way you expressed symptoms? If so, how?
Did your type affect your recovery? If so, how?

1)INTP

2)PTSD, PTSD, and acute anxiety.

3)Thoughtful, logical, funny...

4)Well the cause probably was having awkward coping mechanisms and wanting to be appreciated. If one grows up with a schizophrenic parent they probably just learn avoidant tendencies towards problems, but that does not work in grown up situations like at work. So resolution was probably just learning the art of not giving a f*^$ rather than being on edge and expecting something bad to happen. Just accepting people are annoying and just looking forwards not backwards.

5) Presumably it was the other way around as the illnesses brought out shadow personality type; conflict between rational and shadow emotion state.

6) Not sure

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFP

Generalized Anxiety Disorder. ADD, and ADHD (I've been diagnosed with both on separate occasions for some reason)

I am a naturally curious person who is generally friendly towards others. I often have found myself as the source of humor in conversations, it's a role I sort of slip into unconsciously. I tend to over think as well, and often have my head in the clouds.

I think my GAD has caused me to act in a manner that is more introverted over the years. It's been a huge influence in my life and a problem, but it's extremely well-managed now as long as I take my medication regularly.

Although my anxiety is much better now, I by no means consider myself cured. Though I have dealt with depression in the past, but that seems to be behind me (for now at least).

DeirdreWalsh

For a couple of years, I have been dealing with Psychosis. I have been a drug addict, which triggered this disease. To be honest, it is pretty hard to live with this disorder. You feel dizzy, without motivation, and sometimes even lose control of reality. Still, I am lucky that I called help on time, and somehow my parents and doctors are helping me. And my psychotic breaks are occurring less often. So guys, if you feel some similar symptoms, immediately call for help or at least check out the green line, which you can find on https://fherehab.com/learning/what-is-a-psychotic-break/ .

Last edited:

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a psychology major interested in the ways type affects expression of mental illness. I would appreciate if whoever feels comfortable doing so would fill out this survey.

For those who have a mental illness:

What is your MBTI?
What mental illlness(es) have you been diagnosed with?
Do you think your type affects the way you express symptoms of your mental illness, or even what symptoms you express?
If so, how?
Any other comments?

For those who don't have a mental illness:

What is your MBTI?
What are your coping methods for dealing with difficult or stressful situations and emotions?
How does your type affect the methods you use to cope?
Any other comments?
MBTI: INFP

Mental illnesses: GAD, social anxiety, "AuDHD", depression, OCD, pyrophobia. Ah, a lovely list of diagnoses!

Personality in my own words: Perfectionistic, stuck between nihilism and child like wonder, gourmet, seeking beyond the ordinary, nervous energy trapped in a bottle

Does my type affect how I express my mental illnesses? I do really good at hiding them if that's type related. Of course any type can have morals, but a lot of my OCD thoughts have to do with how much of a good and untainted person I am, and living up to my own standards. I'm a lot more "openly" relaxed and flexible than OCD people, but yeah, I'm not the neat freak type. I wonder if pyrophobia is some Se polr crap. It's hard to control, it's bright and in your face, it's an everyday happening that can easily go wrong. My depression tends to come from not seeing the world as beautiful anymore, and getting trapped in routine as well as absorbing all the feelings around me which seems like some sort of Fi-Si looping. I could really come up with a lot of thing, but I'd be here all evening.