• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Concrete vs Abstract

The Seeker 1994

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9 4
Concrete vs abstract( we all have S, N, F, T, )

Si type are incredibly detail oriented, here's a look at one of my favorite Si storytellers, Kelsey Grammar- YouTube This clip is a good example of Si and good example of concrete language.

Right from the off he's talking about the play, where it was, what is was called, who it was by, the name of the girl he went to lunch with, who she was, recounting a story recalling what she said. 1.16- my favorite part- i went on camera and i wore these YELLOW christian New York golf pants that my mother has brought me( where he got them from) and a BLACK BLAZER and a WHITE shirt. DETAILS!

This is Si, let's compare it with Se using an Se type George Harrison- YouTube. 1.47- when asked how he sees the present- the present right now is a sort of whitewash wall in the garage underneath Sydney Oprah house with the sun gone on my face" Will be the sunshine of Sydney and a lot of nice SMILING FACES and friends- Se types are concrete, they see things as they are, objective reality.

Si is subjective whereas Se is objective because it's just seeing things as they are. We all have sensing and intuition so an S ( Se) type can be abstract and and an N (Ni) type can be concrete. Let's again use George as an example, 5.35 is what i'm referring to- YouTube.

So an S type can be abstract and an N type can be concrete as we all have S and N. For this reason i think we should stop dividing people up into intuitive's and sensors, it really makes no sense.

N( Ne in particular)- John Lennon "We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship"- This is a great example of Ne, their was an interview but it's been taken down. He's asked what it was like in the 60's and he uses the metaphor of being on a ship discovering something new. Ne users almost never talk in a literal way, you're gonna get a lot of metaphors and analogies not as a way of impressing, they just find it easier to communicate in this way.

S( Se in particular)- Earnest Hemingway: "There isn't any symbolism [in my writing]. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. ... All the symbolism that people [find] is shit." Again it's objective reality, Se types see things as they are, this doesn't mean they aren't creative, you could say it depends on the context.

Example Marlon Brando- Regarding Brando’s remarkable talent, Adler recalled that once she instructed the class to act like chickens, and added that a nuclear bomb was about to fall on them. While most of the students in the class ran around and clucked, he was sitting calmly and pretended to lay an egg. When Adler asked him why he chose to react that way, he explained, “I’m a chicken – what do I know about bombs?

Isn't that just INCREDIBLE...........I mean wow. Why it's so incredible is because acting is about using the imagination, that's the key to acting. This is pure Se and it's just extraordinary when you think about it, his sense of reality( Se) made him stand out in a profession that pretty much rejects realism.

Your other functions are gonna of course effect things, here is a great example of Ni in conjunction with Fe. 11.24- YouTube

Johnny Depp FiNe ( dislike superficiality/abstract )- "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by ... what's underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people."

One last clip of concrete speech- YouTube
5.07- this is great example of concrete speech- he's telling you the days and times that he worked- i worked for manny as a matter of fact in all afternoons from 12 until 8. He had a cafe that stayed open from 11 in the morning until 12 in the morning.

One last comment, a few years ago I was in my back garden with my ISFJ uncle( i think he'd be classed as an uncle) and i was looking up at the birds( know i'm not a short man........British joke, bird is slang for woman, ha, you're thinking- are the women really that tall where you are and i said wouldn't it be incredible to be a bird, just the freedom aspect and his response- well birds don't know they're birds, they're not flying around thinking- yeah freedom this is amazing.

Anyway i hope this post is helpful in some way:)