• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissism/projected ego becoming more prominent

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
It seems that since the advent of social media platforms such as snap-chat and instagram, our ego requires more input to yield the same output. We are creating illusions to validate the object of interest. Not everyone partakes in taking "selfies," but it is a huge problems that will inevitably yield consequences in the future....For if we exert more energy to recognize imperfections, then it follows that we will try to compensate in some form to create an illusion. Also, it follows that we will realize the imperfections of other's to a higher degree. It's quite natural to attempt to change other's at the expense of changing ourselves for the better. Therefore, it may come to no surprise that we have the propensity to expect too much in regards to character/personality, exc.

Now, trying to hide imperfections only has a masking effect on the person. By observing the extremes of society too often and continually using filtering to create an illusion, we attempt to converge towards the extremes. Yet by doing so, we are creating a larger gap between the imagined and real perceptions, which facilitates a greater dampening effect in regards to our insecurities. Now, suppose you are subjected to events x1, x2,....., xn over a time span t1, which yields a high degree of satisfaction. Further, suppose at some later period, you are subjected to new events y1,y2,....,yn over time span t2, which yields a low degree of satisfaction. In between these event sets is the transition zone....The larger the gap between levels of satisfaction between sets, the larger the dampening effect in respect to self esteem. There does exists multiple scenarios, however, that minimize the dampening effect, and it differs between individuals. Thus, projecting our ego/false image towards the extremes will only cause us to become addicted because the inevitable dampening effect is of higher magnitude.

Jaguar

Did it ever occur to you to just stay off social media?

Jaguar

I don't use it often at all.

Which is inconsistent with your word choices. "Our ego" and "We are creating illusions." If you don't use the services often at all (like myself), there is no reason to use those words which are inclusive of self. It makes no sense to. Were I speaking of the KKK, I wouldn't use the words "we" when discussing them. Social media may be alive and well, but it has no effect on my ego. I never use it.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Which is inconsistent with your word choices. "Our ego" and "We are creating illusions." If you don't use the services often at all (like myself), there is no reason to use those words which are inclusive of self. It makes no sense to. Were I speaking of the KKK, I wouldn't use the words "we" when discussing them. Social media may be alive and well, but it has no effect on my ego. I never use it.

Well, I used "we" and "our" to.communicate as a Math major to acknowledge our predecessors...so, I am used to it....I still use it occasionally though, so I am part of the " we" in the equation of users...

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There have been studies that reinforce what you posit about narcissism on the rise, with obvious correlations to social media.

The shifting of extremes might be bound more to youth, though. I feel like bouncing from the highest highs to the lowest lows is a product of childhood that slowly settles and steadies into maturity.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Narcissism is evidently one of the key factors that are "melting away" the western civilization and history proves that mass narcissism leads in that direction almost by default.

Personally I am not too big of a fan because watching others "self promote" is a waste of time for me in the most literal sense of the term. In my book having developed ego isn't a sin by default but you must use it for more concrete goals and desires. Learning one extra language or concrete skill instead of spending time posting endless selfies is smart decision in my book, since the advance is concrete. In my opinion this whole social climate comes from deindustrialization of developed countries, what moves the focus away from the more concrete forms of competency.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
There have been studies that reinforce what you posit about narcissism on the rise, with obvious correlations to social media.

The shifting of extremes might be bound more to youth, though. I feel like bouncing from the highest highs to the lowest lows is a product of childhood that slowly settles and steadies into maturity.

My niece is not even 2 years old and is already addicted to the internet. She screams when you take her tablet. And while not allowed on social media -yet, she is also obsessed with her appearance. She's going to be an instragrm Diva by 6. I REALLY Hope my sister keeps a close eye on her. That shit can be dangerous.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Let others people live their life as they want jesus... The problem is when people create a business around that and they control the media ( and others consumed it).
I'm not even a communist ( actually they are worse ).

I'm already bored of excuses instead of finding solutions ( There is like 10000000 people thinking the same thing ) ...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

The main problems arises if we mask our true self to be validated/acknowledged because it reinforces the dampening effect at some late period. Experiencing a "high" followed by a "low" in regards to life-style can be quite humbling and beneficial because it can broaden our horizon.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The main problems arises if we mask our true self to be validated/acknowledged because it reinforces the dampening effect at some late period. Experiencing a "high" followed by a "low" in regards to life-style can be quite humbling and beneficial because it can broaden our horizon.

Elaborate more on "dampening" if you don't mind. I take it to mean diminishing- or rendering less effective.

rav3n

Excessive posting of selfies is associated with increase in narcissism -- ScienceDaily

All but one of the people in the study used social media, and their average use was about three hours a day, excluding usage for work, but some reported using social media for as much as eight hours a day for non-work related purposes.

Facebook was used by 60% of the sample, 25% used Instagram, and 13% used Twitter and Snapchat each. Over two thirds of the participants primarily used social media for posting images.

Professor Phil Reed from the Department of Psychology at Swansea University and who led the study, said:

"There have been suggestions of links between narcissism and the use of visual postings on social media, such as Facebook, but, until this study, it was not known if narcissists use this form of social media more, or whether using such platforms is associated with the subsequent growth in narcissism.

"The results of this study suggest that both occur, but show that posting selfies can increase narcissism.

"Taking our sample as representative of the population, which there is no reason to doubt, this means that about 20% of people may be at risk of developing such narcissistic traits associated with their excessive visual social media use.

"That the predominant usage of social media for the participants was visual, mainly through Facebook, suggests the growth of this personality problem could be seen increasingly more often, unless we recognise the dangers in this form of communication."

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Elaborate more on "dampening" if you don't mind. I take it to mean diminishing- or rendering less effective.

The validation essentially feeds our ego/self esteem, yet by illusionary means. The dampening effect means that the self image dips at a faster rate once the true self is revealed.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
The validation essentially feeds our ego/self esteem, yet by illusionary means. The dampening effect means that the self image dips at a faster rate once the true self is revealed.

Isn't Narcissism the extreme of that ... most people fail at that when they hit their faces in a wall.
I just see a politic/social problem rather than a personal problem.

rav3n

Vanity isn't a problem to some extent. Excessive vanity can correlate with but doesn't equate to NPD.

This is my problem when people pathologize normal behaviors without considering magnitude. The vast majority of personality disorder traits are evidenced in most people and aren't considered unhealthy. What's problematic is the magnitude of specific groupings of behavior to the extent that people with disorders have problems coping with daily life.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Vanity isn't a problem to some extent. Excessive vanity can correlate with but doesn't equate to NPD.

This is my problem when people pathologize normal behaviors without considering magnitude. The vast majority of personality disorder traits are evidenced in most people and aren't considered unhealthy. What's problematic is the magnitude of specific groupings of behavior to the extent that people with disorders have problems coping with daily life.

Moderation is key....Tending towards the extremes magnifies the issue.

Jaguar

Crap like this doesn't help the situation. Steve would have puked seeing this superficial rubbish.