• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What types are the most and least open minded?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Curious as to what open-minded here means. Sometimes, if a certain type, say an IN-J has detailed a very thorough, extensive plan, they may reject input because it is not conducive to their goals, even if they don't detail how. People can mistake this for narrow-mindedness in the moment, even if the IN-J might be able to sit down with you and entertain different ways of seeing certain points of view if asked properly (they project things towards one point in the future- so specifying that you wish to discuss something purely as a hypothetical may give you more results).

The IN-Js cost/benefit analysis lets them cut out early the things that do not apply to their goals, even if others may deem those things positive (classic example is maybe an E--J being uncaring and ignorant of the negative environmental impact their business is causing). If you sit them down, they are clearly not narrow-mindedly stupid that they cannot understand what you say; it simply is that it is not conducive to their goals.

That being said, do you really mean "I am open to other points of view" open-mindedness, in which Js definitely are capable of-
or "Patience to deal with your drivel" 'open-mindedness'?

I'd like to add that the functions themselves are cognitive processes, the how they process, not the what- they may not necessarily be more open minded to more things (the 'what'), though how the function itself works certainly overlaps positively with them being able to do so. EN-P can be extremely stubborn and narrow-minded once they have found something they deem a (sometimes very biased) truth to themselves.

raskol

I already linked it in an earlier response to you.
Maybe you're experiencing boomer-tech issues, because there was no link to any article in your reply. There was only emboldened copypasta containing the kind of quasi-legalese presented by organizations in search of plausible deniability. What interests me here is your claim of a left-wing narrative pertaining to the 9/11 truther movement. You claim that there is one, so please provide it.

But if this is too difficult to comprehend, allow me to lead by example. Claim: 9/11 conspiracy theories are created and promoted by far-right extremists whose narrative can be reduced to the exclamation: It's the Jews! Example: Former KKK grand wizard David Duke and fellow kook Mark Dankof regurgitate It's the Jews! on Iranian national broadcaster PressTV.

Curious as to what open-minded here means.
This. If you've ever taken a Big Five test, then check back on your openness score.

The IN-Js cost/benefit analysis lets them cut out early the things that do not apply to their goals, even if others may deem those things positive (classic example is maybe an E--J being uncaring and ignorant of the negative environmental impact their business is causing).
Openness relates to ideas, values, experiences, imagination, interest in art, etc., as well as challenging authority, convention, tradition. A cost-benefit analysis closes off interpersonal or ideational interaction on the basis of pure calculation, which is close-mindedness in a nutshell.

EN-P can be extremely stubborn and narrow-minded once they have found something they deem a (sometimes very biased) truth to themselves.
Being stubborn is indicative of a low agreeableness score, not of close-mindedness.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This. If you've ever taken a Big Five test, then check back on your openness score.

Openness relates to ideas, values, experiences, imagination, interest in art, etc., as well as challenging authority, convention, tradition. A cost-benefit analysis closes off interpersonal or ideational interaction on the basis of pure calculation, which is close-mindedness in a nutshell.

Being stubborn is indicative of a low agreeableness score, not of close-mindedness.

I was specifically referring to what kind OP @highlander was asking, because he just said 'open-minded' and stated it in relation to MBTI without a mention of B5, in which the answer is very general and very broad, because B5 can correlate to MBTI, but not definitively- and so I answered from an MBTI lens.

If asking which 'type' (misleading, because B5 is not about types- it is not categorized by types as MBTI is) in B5 is most 'open-minded',
then the answer is clear and as you state.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Oh, and I might ask.
I am not sure how much of B5 is about behaviour and how much is preference. An open-minded person would be able to understand pieces of information (because they accept it- even if on an internal intellectual or emotional basis) and thus would still be open-minded, even if they ultimately (outwardly) reject it.

Following that, closing off options in a cost-benefit analysis does not necessarily mean being cognitively narrow-minded, a cost-benefit analysis on its own is simply the externalized behaviour/course of action of prioritizing steps and goals, and thus such an individual could still score high on their Openness facet or score deceptively low, but still is overall open if B5 follows cognition over behaviour the similar way MBTI does. Correct me if wrong.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on what it is. Just from my experience.

Open-minded
INTJ for exploring ideas in depth (can be masters of living in "the gray area")
ENFJ for accepting value systems different than their own (can be judgemental but accommodating at the same time)
ENFP - idea mapping and endless possibilities
ISFP - individualistic exploration

Closed-minded
ENFP - Can be rigid against conservativeness and soap-box-y
ESFJ - can be get stuck on the minutia of the "social script"
ISTJ - can be rigid against "weird things"
INFP - judgmental towards individual values

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you're experiencing boomer-tech issues, because there was no link to any article in your reply. There was only emboldened copypasta containing the kind of quasi-legalese presented by organizations in search of plausible deniability. What interests me here is your claim of a left-wing narrative pertaining to the 9/11 truther movement. You claim that there is one, so please provide it.

But if this is too difficult to comprehend, allow me to lead by example. Claim: 9/11 conspiracy theories are created and promoted by far-right extremists whose narrative can be reduced to the exclamation: It's the Jews! Example: Former KKK grand wizard David Duke and fellow kook Mark Dankof regurgitate It's the Jews! on Iranian national broadcaster PressTV.

Change your tone and we can talk. I’m not really interested in responding to condescending “if this is too difficult to understand” type of statements. Shame, because otherwise I was enjoying the conversation. Not to mention the ageist bullshit about boomers (arguably a violation of forum rules, btw), which is silly as you have no idea of my age.

raskol

Oh, and I might ask.
I am not sure how much of B5 is about behaviour and how much is preference.
Our shared language takes precedence in this case, and B5 accurately reflects openness in accordance with the dictionary definition. Furthermore, preferences are an essential and conscious part of our behavior matrix, which is the sum total of our interactive conduct, including inconsistencies as well as unconscious drives and desires. There is only so much we can do to reshape our behavior by reconditioning ourselves with new sets of preferences.

An open-minded person would be able to understand pieces of information (because they accept it- even if on an internal intellectual or emotional basis) and thus would still be open-minded, even if they ultimately (outwardly) reject it.
Naturally.

Following that, closing off options in a cost-benefit analysis does not necessarily mean being cognitively narrow-minded, a cost-benefit analysis on its own is simply the externalized behaviour/course of action of prioritizing steps and goals, and thus such an individual could still score high on their Openness facet or score deceptively low, but still is overall open if B5 follows cognition over behaviour the similar way MBTI does. Correct me if wrong.
Since openness to experiences, values, and ideas involves behavioral byproducts--say nonconformism, adventurousness, and challenges to authority--we can gauge this trait without difficulty (especially in B5). Yet people who are careful and calculating will be naturally averse to such behavior, which they seek to limit or control. What you are trying to construct, as it appears to me, is a path that allows you to reap the benefits of openness through a cost-benefit analysis, all the while removing what you deem as "side-effects." However, since this risk-averse calculation involves either neglect or a deprioritization of interpersonal, experiential, and ideational interaction, you will still be following a controlled, limited, and close-minded path.

Then again, if self-control works for you, keep it up. My argument here involves terminology, not personal strategies.

Change your tone and we can talk. I’m not really interested in responding to condescending “if this is too difficult to understand” type of statements. Shame, because otherwise I was enjoying the conversation.
It's online bantz. There's nothing personal in it.

Not to mention the ageist bullshit about boomers (arguably a violation of forum rules, btw), which is silly as you have no idea of my age.
I am certain I pinned you as Gen X above. Besides, "boomer tech" is a contemporary poke at someone who is experiencing technical difficulties, irrespective of age. Feel free to return the favor at any time.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
^^^^^
So Ne is alot more open-minded than it counterpart and P's is alot more open-minded Than J' .
Didn't we already know that?.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
^^^^^
So Ne is alot more open-minded than it counterpart and P's is alot more open-minded Than J' .
Didn't we already know that?.

Depends on the domain of interest...INTJ's would be open minded to foresight or looking multiple moves ahead in the future whereas ENTP's would be open minded to ideas generated from current stimulus. Having an inward focus toward the future can cause the perception of "closed mindedness" only because INTJ's wouldn't want the present moment to divert their vision. Hence, a diversion away from the present moment will inevitable cause a shift in the domain of "open mindedness."

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Depends on the domain of interest...INTJ's would be open minded to foresight or looking multiple moves ahead in the future whereas ENTP's would be open minded to ideas generated from current stimulus. Having an inward focus toward the future can cause the perception of "closed mindedness" only because INTJ's wouldn't want the present moment to divert their vision. Hence, a diversion away from the present moment will inevitable cause a shift in the domain of "open mindedness."

There is alot of bs in that "looking multiple moves ahead in the future" concept , Intj's are very good in using their imagination to create a vision which they will use Te to make it true or most of the time trying ( Entj are better at that tho ).

Actually Intj's need time to think other perspectives ( like almost anybody really ) but they aren't fast as Ne or P types to abstract themself from their own way of thinking .
And you are probabily gonna find it in that test which raskolnik said.

Probabily there is 5 types ahead of Intj's in that B5 test . Of course Intj's getting deffensive and trying to make almost any kind of arguments is pretty normal ( Low openness confirmed )...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
There is alot of bs in that "looking multiple moves ahead in the future" concept , Intj's are very good in using their imagination to create a vision which they will use Te to make it true or most of the time trying ( Entj are better at that tho ).

Actually Intj's need time to think other perspectives ( like almost anybody really ) but they aren't fast as Ne or P types to abstract themself from their own perspectives .
And you are probabily gonna find it in that test which raskolnik said.

Probabily there is 5 types ahead of Intj's in that B5 test . Of course Intj's getting deffensive and trying to make almost any kind of arguments is pretty normal ...

Well, Ni is a predictive function, so looking multiple moves ahead should be normal as it would be in the game of chess (predict the other players moves). My friend (ENTJ) is very good at planning his life 5-10 years into the future and happened to be very adept at chess....Thus, they are open in regards to exploring their future path, which is a separate domain of interest. Keep in mind, I tend to come up with my own theories to explain phenomena, and it may not always be sound until I refine it further. Of course, it's built upon previous witnessed events...An Se dominant, for instance, would be interested in exploring new places/food for the sensational pleasure....Again, it resorts to the relationship between the functions and the domain, which dictates the degree open mindedness.

rav3n

It's fair to say that out of TJs, TPs, FPs, FJs, TJs are the most close minded and FPs the most open-minded.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Well, Ni is a predictive function, so looking multiple moves ahead should be normal as it would be in the game of chess (predict the other players moves). My friend (ENTJ) is very good at planning his life 5-10 years into the future and happened to be very adept at chess....Thus, they are open in regards to exploring their future path, which is a separate domain of interest. Keep in mind, I tend to come up with my own theories to explain phenomena, and it may not always be sound until I refine it further. Of course, it's built upon previous witnessed events...An Se dominant, for instance, would be interested in exploring new places/food for the sensational pleasure....Again, it resorts to the relationship between the functions and the domain, which dictates the degree open mindedness.

Man , are you sure you are an Intj ? i sense alot of Ti/Ne from you even in your way of writting . Maybe you are a super rare Intj ( Balance) but the way you use words is a very Ti way.

I don't want to be a fucking dick but really i can't sense that from you .

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
It's fair to say that out of TJs, TPs, FPs, FJs, TJs are the most close minded and FPs the most open-minded.

For sure i was thinking the same ... Nt's like to use their knowledge to be the most perfect human being which is fucking funny But when we use emotions instead of concepts we are just little babies xD ( actually i was thinking other types perspectives).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Our shared language takes precedence in this case, and B5 accurately reflects openness in accordance with the dictionary definition. Furthermore, preferences are an essential and conscious part of our behavior matrix, which is the sum total of our interactive conduct, including inconsistencies as well as unconscious drives and desires. There is only so much we can do to reshape our behavior by reconditioning ourselves with new sets of preferences.

Naturally.

Since openness to experiences, values, and ideas involves behavioral byproducts--say nonconformism, adventurousness, and challenges to authority--we can gauge this trait without difficulty (especially in B5). Yet people who are careful and calculating will be naturally averse to such behavior, which they seek to limit or control. What you are trying to construct, as it appears to me, is a path that allows you to reap the benefits of openness through a cost-benefit analysis, all the while removing what you deem as "side-effects." However, since this risk-averse calculation involves either neglect or a deprioritization of interpersonal, experiential, and ideational interaction, you will still be following a controlled, limited, and close-minded path.

Then again, if self-control works for you, keep it up. My argument here involves terminology, not personal strategies.

It's online bantz. There's nothing personal in it.

I am certain I pinned you as Gen X above. Besides, "boomer tech" is a contemporary poke at someone who is experiencing technical difficulties, irrespective of age. Feel free to return the favor at any time.

Maybe we can kiss or fuck and make up later but I’m kind of bored with you at present

rav3n

For sure i was thinking the same ... Nt's like to use their knowledge to be the most perfect human being which is fucking funny But when we use emotions instead of concepts we are just little babies xD ( actually i was thinking other types perspectives).
I'm an ENTJ and find it curious how you can't be objective.

rav3n

Pardon me , explain to me what is being objective?.
Objectivity includes positives and negatives relative to type. This includes your own type but instead, you leapt on the opportunity to bash NTs (did you notice how my post focused on TJs, not NTs?) and elevated FPs or more generally, feelers with irrelevant data about emotions, since MBTI is silent on emotions.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Man , are you sure you are an Intj ? i sense alot of Ti/Ne from you even in your way of writting . Maybe you are a super rare Intj ( Balance) but the way you use words is a very Ti way.

I don't want to be a fucking dick but really i can't sense that from you .

Not sure...I test as INTP, however, I wasn't fully convinced with the result. It's quite natural for one to diverge from their true self as a function of contentedness. Yet, the self is more readily revealed through writing since more energy is expended in the process of continual diversion from one's natural inclinations.