• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which is the most intriguingly, fascinatingly, mystically "mysterious" type?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes mystery could be seen as "not being open" and that is the thing that puts me off about it. Or, if someone is forever a mystery, it can feel frustrating.

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Sometimes mystery could be seen as "not being open" and that is the thing that puts me off about it. Or, if someone is forever a mystery, it can feel frustrating.

Ah, I do see what you mean because I actually have a friend I've known for many years who I still don't "know" very well because she's so closed and it is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it hurts to wonder whether it's because she just doesn't trust me or value our friendship as much as I do.

But strangely, I would not consider my friend "mysterious" in the way that I'm thinking. For me, "mysterious" is more of an aura of mystique surrounding someone/thing that is -- I know -- mostly a projection on my part. But I enjoy it as long as it's not harmful. It's like how people often perceive unicorns or mermaids -- or the Sphinx -- as mysterious. And I confess that most "people" whom I think of as "mysterious" in this way are actually fictional. Characters from books or films. :reading::blush: Real life people are rarely mysterious to me in that way.

However, I am sometimes inexplicably drawn to real life IxTJs because I can't help suspecting that they have a hidden streak of feeling and sensitivity in them that they hide under their hard, cold -- and slightly "mysterious" -- shell. But maybe that, too, is only a projection.:D

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh. Ironically, the OP is very transparent. It would be like an INTP asking what the most linguistically precise type is, or an ISFJ asking which is the most socially conscientious type.

ISFJs are the most socially conscientious?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
NiFe or NiTe. Yup yup yup.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I don't really understand what people mean when they say mysterious. This might have been a brain fart. So I looked the definition up.

Mysterious
Simultaneously arousing wonder and inquisitiveness, and eluding explanation or comprehension.

Hmm. With this in mind, I honestly find fellow INFPs to often be very mysterious. My best friend's boyfriend, for example... he is just hard to understand, but not necessarily in a good way. He's often frustratingly different from me. He says VERY little; I often just want to know why he never says anything. Does he have opinions but a fear of expressing them? Or is he usually spacing out? Or does he usually just not have an interest in the topics my best friend and I discuss?

In fact, on second thought, a lot of people are hard for me to understand, in a frustrating way. My mom, my ENFJ grade school friend...

So what did the OPer mean by "mysterious"? What does everyone else mean by mysterious? Is it a good thing? Bad thing? Neutral?

Edit:

cloakofsnow said:
But strangely, I would not consider my friend "mysterious" in the way that I'm thinking. For me, "mysterious" is more of an aura of mystique surrounding someone/thing that is -- I know -- mostly a projection on my part. But I enjoy it as long as it's not harmful. It's like how people often perceive unicorns or mermaids -- or the Sphinx -- as mysterious. And I confess that most "people" whom I think of as "mysterious" in this way are actually fictional. Characters from books or films. Real life people are rarely mysterious to me in that way.

Ah. In this case, I have a hard time seeing anyone that way. Nobody comes to mind.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ISTP
What could possibly be going on inside that head?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
They are... especially when you have one who's your parent. Apparently I'm never up to "standards". :doh:

fuck yes, i can relate to that. they want you to be social, smart, hard working, warm traditional, respectful... everything. it really feels like it's an uphill battle, and that you'll never fully please them.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
If INFJs are mysterious, then they're too mysterious, because I don't see a smidgen of it.
That's the point ;)

I agree with INFJ's. Not saying that because it's my own type, it's just the easy answer. INFJ's have the most ridiculous things going on in their heads, and there's always a contradiction for every thought-pattern and internal implication. I'm a complete enigma even to myself.

There is a whole new world of chaos locked away in the subconscious mind, and people with Ni are well-in-tune with that. When you start hiding that stuff, as many INFJ's do, it leads to the deepest mysteries possible.

Or, if someone is forever a mystery, it can feel frustrating.

I recommend staying the hell away from us INFJ's, in that case (meaning that in all seriousness :D)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, I do see what you mean because I actually have a friend I've known for many years who I still don't "know" very well because she's so closed and it is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it hurts to wonder whether it's because she just doesn't trust me or value our friendship as much as I do.

You NFs, always taking things personally! :smile: I'm not an open book, but even the people I'm closest to have a hard time knowing me. I'm just a private person, and half the things that go on in my head, I don't have words for. If you're assuming that your friend is spilling her guts to other people, you might be wrong. She might just not be a spill-your-guts person.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Strong Is (and very detached 5s) are the most enigmatic because there are so many layers of the artichoke to peel away before you can understand the heart. There are so many different dimensions between Layer 1 and Layer 95.

INFJ - enigmatic

INTJs - often enigmatic, but when you get to know them, there is logic to their mystery. Do things in a systematic way. Can predict their behavior, most of the time (?)

ISTPs - the quiet ones with the tattoos and dark art - you feel like you don't really know them, and want to find out exactly what they're all about, but have a hard time getting to know them.

i like ISTJ's because of their duality between 'normal me' and 'fun me'. they like to separate work and play, and are really different in those 2 states.

all the types mysterious in their own ways. it's just how deep you dig into them.

Agreed! I am guilty of the ISTJ duality - reserved and serious at work, but goofy when I'm off-duty. I guess the fact that I close off my fun side during business hours and don't talk about my personal life much makes me "mysterious" -- the feeling that you don't really know a person entirely, and you don't have a good sense of what they're like all the time. The possibility that I could be a Batman-like vigilante superhero during my off hours -- that's "mysterious."

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm not an open book, but even the people I'm closest to have a hard time knowing me. I'm just a private person, and half the things that go on in my head, I don't have words for.

Same here, I have friendships that have spanned a decade and those friends are just beginning to get to know me now.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^Same. In my high school yearbook, some of my long-time friends since childhood said things to the effect that "I wished I had known you better."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It's me, of course.