• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Learned Fe

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me it's really getting to know the other person, learning about their needs/behaviors, and adjusting my style if necessary to accommodate their needs. I don't view it as being 'fake' at all, as I'm still fully myself; this is who I am. And those I have deeper connections with will in turn see more sides of me. If I sense that they're uncomfortable and need reassurance on something that they're saying -- like if I sense they lack confidence or are hesitant to speak their mind, then I will be sure to smile and give them a verbal pat on the back, and be more encouraging in my mannerisms and responses, so that they feel safe to be open with me. But I never push people towards doing anything or saying anything -- if I sense reticence, I don't push for anything. I want people to be fully themselves and I don't want to influence them otherwise. And perhaps the Fe is more of a 'tool' that I use to connect with others because I want to create a 'safe' environment where they can be authentic and REAL. Actually as I'm typing all of this out, I think it boils down to simply validating their feelings and experiences, whatever they are, and trying to understand them.

This might be just me...so I tend to hesitate about posting stuff like this because I don't really want to speak for everyone out there who might experience completely different things when it comes to Fe.

love this post! i am new to mbti and the concept of Fe, but after reading this post, i thought of an example tonight of how i used my Fe when out with friends:

the 5 of us were at the bar, drinking green beer and guinness and i hadn't seen this particular girlfriend for a long time. the rest of the group consisted of guys. as soon as i saw her and asked how she was, she rolled her eyes and said meaningfully, "i'm okay now, but i really need a beer." well, there were like 2 conversations going on animatedly, and we all got caught up in the rhythm and flow of give and take, but there was that ?nagging? feeling in my mind, pushed back a bit, that i really wanted to f/u on my friend's remark, to make sure she was okay, and didn't intend something deeper by her response to me. i know without a doubt most people would not obsess over her offhand remark, and would take it at face value as it is usually intended......but since i was only able to be out for about an hour, it was a pressing priority that i find out soon if my friend was indeed 'okay.'

i finally put my hand and her leg and asked her pointedly, "is everything okay, or is something up with you?" well, of course nothing was really wrong, but i had just needed to make sure!

i guess that's Fe. ? i agree the cascademn post that i wait and don't assert my opinion if someone else is more opinionated than i am, or i'm not sure. i just don't need to. it's not a priority to me usually. sometimes i will feel passionately about something and i will speak heatedly about it. but now that i think about it, that's usually with people i know fairly well, although not always. i definitely care more about others' feelings than asserting my own.

i am not a faker in any way. i abhor faking as i HATE to waste time. i like deep conversations and try to avoid chit chat at all costs. i'd rather not talk than have small talk, but i know a small amount of it is necessary in our society.