• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which functions help propagate change in one's behavior

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I was pondering lately about what brings about change in one's behavior over time....Clearly, one must internalize their actions and mold it in such a way to create a better image from within, which in turn is projected outward in a positive manner. I also thought that one must be able to escape external stimulus in order to initiate the potential to change....What are your thoughts on this matter?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
From the keys2cognition test:

"11. Achieve a metamorphosis, definitive insight, or powerful vision of change."

"39. Transform yourself by focusing inward on a specific way you foresee you will need to be"

These questions are referencing Ni.

When you say... internalising then projecting outwards, and escaping external stimulus, it sounds very IxxJ.

Jordan Peterson talks about self-improvement a lot and he's ISFJ, so as well as Ni it's probably also Si.

However, I think any type operating at a high level does this.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Interesting you think Jp is isfj...I have listened to a few of his videos before delving into typology...I know one isfj who freaks out if something goes wrong at work (inferior Ne) and is constantly referencing how to approach a problem via past information/input. He uses his Ti to understand mechanical systems and Fe to help other's feel welcome at his home....How do you interpret the functions in regards to JP?

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
What a fucking joke... trying to shift others perspective way of thinking ... i hope you good luck in urs imaginary world.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I was pondering lately about what brings about change in one's behavior over time....Clearly, one must internalize their actions and mold it in such a way to create a better image from within, which in turn is projected outward in a positive manner. I also thought that one must be able to escape external stimulus in order to initiate the potential to change....What are your thoughts on this matter?

All functions are linked to behaviour. In many ways, that is what they are - the urge to act or think in a particular way. Strictly, the extroverted functions are more to do with acting and the introverted thinking, but the introverted functions are ultimately working on experiences that are the usually the result of extroverted acts.

However, any given function can result in a multitude of possible results. A strong Fi type may well be driven to form opinions based upon social, moral or emotional worth, but what those opinions are is not fixed at all. Which of the many possible forms the function urge takes is something I refer to as its expression, and changes of behaviour revolve around changes of function expression, rather than changes in functions.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Interesting you think Jp is isfj...I have listened to a few of his videos before delving into typology...I know one isfj who freaks out if something goes wrong at work (inferior Ne) and is constantly referencing how to approach a problem via past information/input. He uses his Ti to understand mechanical systems and Fe to help other's feel welcome at his home....How do you interpret the functions in regards to JP?

I think Peterson's cognition lines up to a good degree with what you said.

His overall approach seems to be to survey the appropriate research (concrete findings) on a subject paired with his personal experiences which he easily references, from which he generates a socially oriented narrative communicated personably to his audience.

He sometimes does this thing where he will describe something in more technical terms, and his hands will come closer to his body and seem to be giving the shape of some abstract object. That's his Ti+Ne. His voice trails off when he does this because those aren't his stronger functions.

He doesn't seem to have any problem with using Ne, which may be a result of putting a lot of effort into understanding it better, so he might not show "inferior Ne" traits, but the rest lines up.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
What a fucking joke... trying to shift others perspective way of thinking ... i hope you good luck in urs imaginary world.

Truth. It gives you only pain. Forsaken work.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

That wasn't the point of the thread...We all have negative and positive aspects in respect to our character. Over time, we all evolve, grow, and attain new perspectives depending on the situations at hand. I cannot change your perspective/behavior and conversely you cannot change my own perspective/behavior....I wanted to start a deeper discussion regarding the correlations between enneagram type/functions and the propensity to initiate change in one's behavior. Some people are stubborn in their ways and hold tightly to their opinions....I believe introversion in general is responsible for the molding of our behavior over time. Through introspection, one is able to create an inner mapping from one event to another, and transform it accordingly. If you perform input x1,x2,....,xn and yield output y1,y2,....,yn, there exists a subset Y' of set Y s.t all elements y1',y2',....,yn' yield negative output. But of course, the elements within set Y' are relative in terms of mapping to other sets in real space (Like some behavior is perceived as negative to some, but not others). Generally, a negative mindset (pessimism) tends to expand set Y' whereas a positive mindset (optimism) tends to condense Y'. But one must come to the realization that the negativity is becoming a hindrance/obstacle that forces one backwards. Hence, negativity can propagate change as a consequence of relativism. Yet, it must be coupled with some other behavior/functional aspect to initiate the change.

Also consider people who always live in the moment....They are attracted to external stimulus on a constant basis such that the energy directed inward toward oneself is limited. Some people are heavily focused on their outer appearance, which implies that they'll be less focused on their inner appearance (character). However, there may exist some event that transforms one's life (butterfly effect)....There exists infinitely many paths that we could take in real space, and as such, some many drag us downward whereas others may uplift us. The key is how the events are mapped onto oneself.....Just observing the event without active thought is not enough to formulate the transformation.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's easier than you would think. ;) You just need to know your audience. I have had plenty of people thank me for helping them reframe/rethink things.

EDIT: Gently challenge their current assumptions while appealing to their needs and values (sometimes even their deficits). If you can make it so that they can come to the answer themselves, you're gold.
EDIT 2: Marketing 101.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
It's easier than you would think. ;) You just need to know your audience. I have had plenty of people thank me for helping them reframe/rethink things.

EDIT: Gently challenge their current assumptions while appealing to their needs and values (sometimes even their deficits). If you can make it so that they can come to the answer themselves, you're gold.
EDIT 2: Marketing 101.

Try to reframe Nt's using marketing 101 and those arguments ....