• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which mbti functions correspond with Philosophical Though

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Which functions would be utilized most frequently to ponder such questions and derive expressions in order to further one's understanding of life in general? Also, which types tend to be drawn to speculative philosophy?

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I associate Ni with speculation, and philosophy in general, especially INFJ but that may be my own bias.

INTPs get into questions regarding things like logic and semantics.

Probably any type can do philosophy, but I think it's more geared towards those who reflect on ideas, so INxx?

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I think definitely the N functions and probably the F functions. And Ti. For me Ti takes the form of hunting for answers and philosophies, sifting through ones I do and don't accept, and storing everything away in an ever-changing matrix of ideas. Everything for me gets sorted through Ti and Ne. And because Ne shows me that everything is complicated, my Ti really likes philosophies that emphasise simplicity or show how things are actually all connected and follow logical patterns. I think Ti also makes me lean a bit towards cynical worldviews sometimes.

It seems like many functions are involved in philosophical thought, but function preferences dictate to some extent which philosophical approaches people are most drawn to.

I love talking to Ni users about philosophy, and introverts in general. My favourite person for philosophical discussions is actually an ISxP, probably ISFP. So idk if he has really strong tertiary Ni, or if his Fi actually plays a big role in it.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I associate Ni with speculation, and philosophy in general, especially INFJ but that may be my own bias.

INTPs get into questions regarding things like logic and semantics.

Probably any type can do philosophy, but I think it's more geared towards those who reflect on ideas, so INxx?

hmmm...I enjoy speculating about life in general, and how our identity evolves over time...I'll come up with my own quotes to explain it, and it usually just pops up in my head. I like thinking about the future to predict how things will evolve on a larger scale...I also can look at mistakes from the past and know exactly where I need to head for my betterment. I do tend to use hypotheticals as well to explain my thought process. I also enjoy answering "why" questions such as "Why are some people less patient than others..."....So, if that's the case, I'm likely not Intp/Entp (maybe ISTP or ISFJ)...The two inferior functions I relate with the most would be Fe and Se...

In the Math Department, I generally wrote proofs like a book...I knew where I needed to head by observing the patterns. Sometimes, I would reach contradictions on the way and fix it but I always sought out the conclusion (convergence) in some novel way. My favorite courses were Intro to Symbolic Logic and Real Analysis, which seem Ti heavy...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni tends to be the big one for recognition of and speculation on evolving, synthesizing trends and ideas. It is more convergent than divergent.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everything in OP alone sounds more like an N trait, simply because N is the function of speculation, pattern-making of the abstract, etc that particularly aligns with speculative philosophy. That's not to say it is tied to any type specifically but would definitely manifest differently depending on the direction (I/E) and position in the type's function stack.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Ni tends to be the big one for recognition of and speculation on evolving, synthesizing trends and ideas. It is more convergent than divergent.

I did write a book (still in progress) on Modern Adaptation, which explains how we will evolve/adapt in the future. I also enjoyed creating theorems in pure Mathematics, which relies on both divergence and convergence....It makes sense that I have a preference for Ni within my stack considering I would have answers to problems when I wake up.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Intp and intj are/were the vast majority and some Infj too.
Actually i think That Te make Intj prone to aplications in every field vs Ti which make Intp and infj more prone to abstract themes.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTJ INFJ - Mysticism/Esoteric
INTP - Philosophy
INFP - Spirituality
ISTJ ESTJ ISTP - Logic/Math
ENTJ - Meaning/1 + 1 = 2 Thinking (Rationalize everything!)
ISFP ENFP - Peace/Utopia
ENTP - Change/Inventions
ESTP ESFP - Evidence
ISFJ ESFJ ENFJ - SJW

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I know many ST will see NT as not logical because we are not Logical. That's the STs!
We are the Questioners! That's the different.

INTP are least logical in sense of depths.
Their logic can overpass standard logic.
ENTP are least logical in sense of action.
They are famous for doing things without sense - trolling.

INTJ - are least logical in sense of reality
Their logic often believe in things without sense - occultism
ENTJ - are least logical in sense of ability
They use logic to explain everything

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I know many ST will see NT as not logical because we are not Logical. That's the STs!
We are the Questioners! That's the different.

INTP are least logical in sense of depths.
Their logic can overpass standard logic.
ENTP are least logical in sense of action.
They are famous for doing things without sense - trolling.

INTJ - are least logical in sense of reality
Their logic often believe in things without sense - occultism
ENTJ - are least logical in sense of ability
They use logic to explain everything

hmmm...I really enjoyed pure Mathematics, which utilizes logic to get from Hypothesis--->Conclusion, however, I would create my own proofs/arguments, which diverged greatly from the book, but ultimately proofs require convergent thinking. Most people would follow the class/book to solve their problems, which is just regurgitating logical arguments (lack of interest?). I would also have answers to problems which I was pondering immediately after I wake up at times...Also, a lot of people find my humor very odd...I enjoy dark humor and puns/wordplay, but the audience would need to make the connection/leap to understand it....

Here's an instance of my humor:
Owen: Heyy
Me: Hey, why so serious?
Owen: Idk lol.
Me: O Wen are you not serious?
Owen: When I'm drunk.
Me: So, you want to time travel?
Owen: To
Me: A black hole.

So, to understand this joke, one needs to understand how alcohol relates to time travel....By getting drunk, you're more likely to black out (= black hole), which creates a time hiatus.....Thus, you travel into the future by time perception.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
hmmm...I really enjoyed pure Mathematics, which utilizes logic to get from Hypothesis--->Conclusion, however, I would create my own proofs/arguments, which diverged greatly from the book, but ultimately proofs require convergent thinking. Most people would follow the class/book to solve their problems, which is just regurgitating logical arguments (lack of interest?). I would also have answers to problems which I was pondering immediately after I wake up at times...Also, a lot of people find my humor very odd...I enjoy dark humor and puns/wordplay, but the audience would need to make the connection/leap to understand it....

Here's an instance of my humor:
Owen: Heyy
Me: Hey, why so serious?
Owen: Idk lol.
Me: O Wen are you not serious?
Owen: When I'm drunk.
Me: So, you want to time travel?
Owen: To
Me: A black hole.

So, to understand this joke, one needs to understand how alcohol relates to time travel....By getting drunk, you're more likely to black out (= black hole), which creates a time hiatus.....Thus, you travel into the future by time perception.

Ha-ha but with my style of humor progression of thoughts would be...

-True. Alcohol relax your body but you know with that thing you can fly to
-Where?
-Through-out next car. :rofl1:

Anyway... we all know how mission of Thinkers is to "make sense to the world"

If knowlegde is circle and unknown is everything outside.
ENTJ wil think they can reach unknown by using simple logic. Methodical Agnosticm
INTP will think they cannot reach unknown but they can think about it.
Atheistic Agnostism
ESTJ will believe in some traditional religion but still doesn't accept all bullshits because lack of sense (of religion)
Thestical Agnostism
ISTP won't give a shit about these "stupid things". They have better things to do then thinking about unknown things.
Apathetical Agnosticm

raskol

INTJ INFJ - Mysticism/Esoteric
INTP - Philosophy
INFP - Spirituality
ISTJ ESTJ ISTP - Logic/Math
ENTJ - Meaning/1 + 1 = 2 Thinking (Rationalize everything!)
ISFP ENFP - Peace/Utopia
ENTP - Change/Inventions
ESTP ESFP - Evidence
ISFJ ESFJ ENFJ - SJW
Interesting take. I'll provide my own distinction.

Analytic, Logical, Systemic
INTP: Hume, Mill, Locke, Darwin, Chomsky
ENTP: Socrates, Voltaire, Russell

Empirical, Systemic, Political Philosophy
ENTJ: Aristotle
ESTJ: Rand
ISTJ: Hobbes

Metaphysics, Phenomenology, Speculative Philosophy
INFJ: Plato, Spinoza, Kierkegaard, Jung, Heidegger
INTJ: Kant, Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche

Philosophy as Literature
INFP: Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Kafka, Orwell, Huxley