• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have stereotypical mental images for the types?

Savegraduation

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
As my first post, I thought I'd start by explaining something. I have stereotypical mental images for the different Myers-Briggs types. When I read or hear "INFP" or "ESTJ" or whatever mentioned, I'll immediately think of the stereotype my mind has built up for this type.

Here are my images:

ISTJ: An Organization Man in a grey flannel suit and dark brown businessman haircut, saluting his superiors at work and responsibly bringing in his portfolio and, as he says in his short-spoken way, "just the facts"

ISFJ: A fortysomething mother trying to "protect the children" from seeing "inappropriate stuff" on the Internet, all the while telling children and even teens they shouldn't have any rights because "That's not what our society says, dear".

ESTJ: A large White man in a light brown toupee with an expensive grey suit, booming orders at his employees in a "common sense for me should be common sense for everyone" voice

ESFJ: A blonde woman sitting on the sofa with her guests and a slice of chocolate cake on her plate, smiling at the birthday party with the Hallmark card she's holding up.

ISTP: A Gen-X snowboarder in red sweats with flames drawn on the vertical stripes and ski jacket, cruising down the hill and then reënergizing with some Mountain Dew.

ISFP: A blonde chick who performs punk rock music and wears a black leather jacket, with hearts and cartoon skulls drawn onto her clothes and school binders.

ESTP: A skater boy with sideways baseball cap, riding his skateboard places he's not allowed to and mouthing sarcastic dismissals of the adults who are Establishment-reverent.

ESFP: A girl in retro clothing at a rave, handing Ecstasy to the boy she's dancing with while giggling and telling him he's got that special something.

INTJ: A nerd with a retrograde brown hairstyle, dress shirt, beige jacket and glasses sitting in his armchair with world-weary disdain at the "idiot" he's speaking to.

INTP: An overweight, ponytailed geek sitting at his laptop and visiting sites where he discusses quantum physics and new sustainability paradigms, tweaking his Unified Theory of Everything.

ENTJ: A tireless middle-aged man pulling off PowerPoint presentations to inspire the employees at his game-changing Internet
startup.

ENTP: A stubborn teen-ager in drab clothes, arguing with his parents so much and so often that they've started wondering if he's just trolling yet ripping his parents' cliché arguments to threads.

INFJ: A single young lady with curly hair, who goes about her day eating at the café and pondering the meaning of everything in her life, spending time with her small circle of very special friends a few times a week.

INFP: A little boy standing atop his bed in karate gi with his toy lightsaber, issuing dramatic proclamations about killing evil monsters who cannot defeat him!

ENFJ: A teacher at a private preschool who has her students all sit in a circle and sing songs that teach lessons about interracial harmony.

ENFP: A long-haired demonstrator giving a speech in front of hundreds, filled with gimmicks like ripping up photos and throwing water balloons filled with feces.

These stereotypes help my mind comprehend what the type is about. But is it bad to associate a complex type to which, on average, one sixteenth of humanity belongs with a stereotype -- too reductionist, perhaps?

And do all of you have mental images like these of the 16 types? If so, what are they?

Ric6

For me, the stereotype in clothes is many everyday trends, for example, I meet young guys on the street in the clothes of workers and it's very strange for me. Although now even fashion houses produce collections in the spirit of work clothes.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No, I have ever-evolving archetypes that don't rely upon sensory details outside of a general fascination with observable similarities in phenotypical expression of cognitive coding.