• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Metal genres as types

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
This is my opinion. You can make your own list.

INTJ - Black Metal
ENTJ - Bestial Black Metal
INTP - Traditional Heavy Metal
ENTP - Technical/Progressive Death Metal
ISTJ - Doom Metal
ESTJ - Power Metal
ISTP - Metalcore
ESTP - Deathcore
INFJ - Industrial Metal
ENFJ - Symphonic Metal
INFP - Thrash Metal
ENFP - Progressive Metal
ISFJ - Gothic Metal
ESFJ - Glam Metal
ESFP - Nu Metal
ISFP - Hard Rock

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
ENFP - Heavy Metal
INFP - Doom Metal
ENTP - Progressive Metal
INTP - Industrial Metal

INFJ - Black Metal
ENTJ - Death Metal
ENFJ - Melodic Death Metal
INTJ - Blackened Death Metal

SJ - Folk Metal

SP - Nu Metal

It's too hard to think of how to divide up the Sensor types for something which is mostly Intuitive territory.

Thrash Metal is kinda the "center" of Metal, so I didn't associate it with any type.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
My first glance is that Nt Typers would like more how musical estrutures work...tho Nt typs without any musical educations simple doesn't care about stuff like that.
But really music can be so complex ( ravel , debussy , chopin , ect ) that every type need knowledge and abilities that they don't have .

Studying art can shift your way of thinking .... my intpish way of thinking is using diferent variables ( emotions , harmonic , structures , ect ) to create something .
Well ... art is an expression of what you are ... yeah you can be unique as any type.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJ: Neo-classical metal
ENTP: Avant-garde metal
INTP: Progressive metal
INFJ: Black metal
ENFP: Stoner metal
ENTJ: Death metal
ENFJ: Thrash metal
INFP: Power metal
ISTP: Industrial metal
ESTP: Funk/Groove metal
ESFP: Glam metal
ISFP: Post metal
ESTJ: Traditional heavy metal/classic metal
ISTJ: Alternative metal
ISFJ: Symphonic metal
ESFJ: Folk metal

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
LittleCat said:
ESFJ: Kawaii metal? Nu metal? Having a hard time with this one.

Perhaps switch INFJ to black metal and put folk metal there?

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps switch INFJ to black metal and put folk metal there?

Hm... I believe that’s just the fix I needed. Thanks Legion!

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Really you guys .... you need like 10 years of studying music to really understand the surface.
Don't worry let's create something fun to make alot of people included it xD.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's too hard to think of how to divide up the Sensor types for something which is mostly Intuitive territory.
Hard disagree. Metal is sensor-friendly as hell (depending on how proggy and abstract it is). Example: the reason I continue to be drawn to Metallica is because it's ESxJ as hell (probably because James Hetfield is an ESxJ - ESFJ?).

My personal list:

xNFJ = symphonic metal
xNTP = progressive metal
ESxJ = thrash metal and power metal
ESxP = traditional heavy metal
ISxP = metalcore
INxP = sludge and stoner metal
INTJ = death metal
ExFP = folk metal and viking metal

INTJ: Neo-classical metal
ENTP: Avant-garde metal
INTP: Progressive metal
INFJ: Black metal
ENFP: Stoner metal
ENTJ: Death metal
ENFJ: Thrash metal
INFP: Power metal
ISTP: Industrial metal
ESTP: Funk/Groove metal
ESFP: Glam metal
ISFP: Post metal
ESTJ: Traditional heavy metal/classic metal
ISTJ: Alternative metal
ISFJ: Symphonic metal
ESFJ: Folk metal

Bolded took me aback, but the rest is on point.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Hard disagree. Metal is sensor-friendly as hell (depending on how proggy and abstract it is). Example: the reason I continue to be drawn to Metallica is because it's ESxJ as hell (probably because James Hetfield is an ESxJ - ESFJ?).

I just watched him speaking for a bit, and he seems like an INFJ to me. I think you'll find that you're wrong about metal being "sensor-friendly". Nu metal might be more sensor friendly? But I typed a whole bunch of metal musicians (mostly death metal and black metal) and I found that, from what I could tell, almost everyone was an intuitive, with Kerry King of Slayer being likely ESFJ, and Phil Anselmo of Pantera being likely ESFP.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just watched him speaking for a bit, and he seems like an INFJ to me. I think you'll find that you're wrong about metal being "sensor-friendly". Nu metal might be more sensor friendly? But I typed a whole bunch of metal musicians (mostly death metal and black metal) and I found that, from what I could tell, almost everyone was an intuitive, with Kerry King of Slayer being likely ESFJ, and Phil Anselmo of Pantera being likely ESFP.
It was very hard for me to not type James Hetfield as ESxJ and Lars Ulrich as ESTP after watching the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary.

Death metal, sure, maybe less sensor-friendly. But all those great thrash bands (e.g. Metallica, Slayer, Pantera)? All the wonderful, ridiculous, virtuosic 80s metal bands that are either about sex, drugs, Satan, inner demons, or all of the above? That's all super relatable across the board. Same with all the more accessible subgenres of metal that are mostly about epic storytelling (Viking, folk, power, &c).

Also, I'd argue that punk rock is more SP than any other rock genre - hence, metalcore being SP-friendly.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It was very hard for me to not type James Hetfield as ESxJ and Lars Ulrich as ESTP after watching the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary.

Death metal, sure, maybe less sensor-friendly. But all those great thrash bands (e.g. Metallica, Slayer, Pantera)? All the wonderful, ridiculous, virtuosic 80s metal bands that are either about sex, drugs, Satan, inner demons, or all of the above? That's all super relatable across the board. Same with all the more accessible subgenres of metal that are mostly about epic storytelling (Viking, folk, power, &c).

Also, I'd argue that punk rock is more SP than any other rock genre - hence, metalcore being SP-friendly.

I think underground metal is very N, whereas popular kinds of metal probably bring in the sensing more. But they bring in the sensing from an intuitive perspective.

Actually, music in general is very NF. Pop singers are often SFP, actually there are probably SFPs in a variety of music areas, but aristicness is typically an intuitive thing.

Sex, drugs, Satan... well, every type has sex, but Se is associated with sex appeal. Probably has ties to drugs too. Don't know how Sensing ties into Satan though... maybe something about carnality?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think underground metal is very N, whereas popular kinds of metal probably bring in the sensing more. But they bring in the sensing from an intuitive perspective.

Actually, music in general is very NF. Pop singers are often SFP, actually there are probably SFPs in a variety of music areas, but aristicness is typically an intuitive thing.

Sex, drugs, Satan... well, every type has sex, but Se is associated with sex appeal. Probably has ties to drugs too. Don't know how Sensing ties into Satan though... maybe something about carnality?
You lost me at “music in general is very NF.” Every type has music in the same way that every type has sex. And religion, and violence, and death. And, therefore, metal.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You lost me at “music in general is very NF.” Every type has music in the same way that every type has sex. And religion, and violence, and death. And, therefore, metal.

Err... what I mean is that the vast majority of musicians are NFs?

Just like sports is very S, etc.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is a great list, EJCC and agree that at least some metal can be for sensors too. The reason I picked power metal for INFP is because a lot of the songs seem very fantasy centered, which, in my mind anyway, seems like the sorts of stories an INFP might write about.

My personal list:

xNFJ = symphonic metal
xNTP = progressive metal
ESxJ = thrash metal and power metal
ESxP = traditional heavy metal
ISxP = metalcore
INxP = sludge and stoner metal
INTJ = death metal
ExFP = folk metal and viking metal

Bolded took me aback, but the rest is on point.