• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How is Happiness Derived through your Perspective?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
In my view, happiness is related to the Coolidge Effect and the adaptation of neurotransmitters. The Coolidge Effect is a requisite for evolutionary advancement. Without it, we wouldn't gain the necessary satisfaction to explore new avenues. Thus, we attain a certain level of happiness derived from solving problems....Yet the level depends on how we define our expectation, which leads to the second reason: Adaptation. Of course, our neurotransmitters adapt to our cyclic pattern of daily stimulation. If we set a high limit in regards to what is necessary to derive fulfillment or depend heavily on external validation, then we eventually adapt to the conditions emplaced. Yet, if we are content in regards to our accomplishments/pleasures and accepting of our weaknesses, then we won't adapt to such a high limit.....If we define our expectations according to some function E(t) and E(t) is monotonically increasing, then of course, the limit will be unattainable. Setting the bar high seems to desensitize our neurotransmitters over time, which in turn causes us to derive less and less happiness per event....

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Happiness relates to cognitive functionality in multiple ways depending on what you mean by happiness.

There is certainly a sense of happiness - reward for one's efforts - associated with the 5th and 6th functions - the energising functions of the unconscious.

One philosophical approach to happiness is as a function E(t) where min(E(t)) = 0, and max(E(t)) = infinity, occurring when t = infinity, and the average value of E(t) has a tendency to increase over time.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
The same concept can be applied to "validation seeking," which is way more prominent today due to social media influence. We adapt/get used to a certain level of feedback....But now suppose that level of feedback tends to zero at some time t. The higher the dampening effect in terms of validation in this case, the greater the magnitude of change in respect to "superficial happiness." Happiness should not be tied to external measures...It comes from within (mindset issue). But if the neurotransmitters become faulty (alcohol abuse, exc), then it becomes increasingly difficult to alter the mindset accordingly, especially considering that social media exposes up to the extremes of society.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

Would you consider it "external" or "internal"?...If you perform action x1,x2,....,xn, then there exists possible scenarios s1,s2,....,sn. Within each scenario, you have an area of observation/stimulus. Define F(S, t) where S denotes a fixed scenario and t denotes time. There will exist a unique scenario such that dF(S, t)/dt = 0 wherein the function is maximized.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would you consider it "external" or "internal"?...If you perform action x1,x2,....,xn, then there exists possible scenarios s1,s2,....,sn. Within each scenario, you have an area of observation/stimulus. Define F(S, t) where S denotes a fixed scenario and t denotes time. There will exist a unique scenario such that dF(S, t)/dt = 0 wherein the function is maximized.

I love your way of math-ifying that. :D

Any sense of happiness that I can derive from my experiences usually comes from how I rationalize it within my perspective. So I would say it is an internalized process. That happiness is entirely dependent on my perspective. So if my perspective isn't actually seeking happiness, and instead rather optimal maneuvering positions for opportunity. So as a result, I don't normally feel happiness and it is more of an after effect from a maneuvering in my life.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Happiness is mostly an illusion for me, one that generally feels just over the horizon. I enjoy the little things, but grand contentment has been a struggle.