• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP’s and relationships

nancyyyyy

I'm an enfp in a strange situation with an INTP. Any ENFPs in a friends/romantic feelings situation with an INTP? Any advice about INTPS in relationships or how they feel about them?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is the situation strange?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Listen to hoobastank "Running Away"....maybe that will give you the answer. In all seriousness though, the key is to take it slow and show attentiveness and engagement in the discussion at hand.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More details would be nice. The introvert/extrovert thing can be hard to navigate. Is this a committed relationship?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
ENFPs are solid matches for INTPs, granted the other more important attributes are already a match as well: maturity, intelligence, chemistry, attraction, etc.

I had a rather extraordinary one in my life, but she wanted to date romantically or have nothing to do with one another. Zero interest in the friend zone- which I understand but also lament, given the very-hard-to-find level of quality in our discourse.

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think romantically, the ones I dated got more from me than I did from them, though the mental/physical chemistry was always top notch.

They tend to benefit because they suck at meeting emotional needs much of the time, and the learning curve there is so steep. Meanwhile, you meet their needs easily because you're an intuitive NF.

Also, I've had a few very close friendships with INTPs. I think they might be my favorite type of person.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I think INTPs & ENFPs can be a great match as long as the other compatibility factors are right. But there will probably be obstacles.
I dated an ENFP and it was lots of fun! A fun dynamic is guaranteed. But it didn't last for predictable reasons. I was too avoidant (and didn't really feel the attraction as deeply as him), he was too overbearing, I preferred friendship over romance and he was the other way around.
I guess if you really, truly want to date an INTP a good place to start would be to show them that you're their friend first and foremost. And be clear with yourself about what you want, because you might not get the amount of passion that you want. Idk, now that I think about it, maybe it's not a good match. But the conversations will always be great. :shrug:

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INTPs & ENFPs can be a great match as long as the other compatibility factors are right. But there will probably be obstacles.
I dated an ENFP and it was lots of fun! A fun dynamic is guaranteed. But it didn't last for predictable reasons. I was too avoidant (and didn't really feel the attraction as deeply as him), he was too overbearing, I preferred friendship over romance and he was the other way around.
I guess if you really, truly want to date an INTP a good place to start would be to show them that you're their friend first and foremost. And be clear with yourself about what you want, because you might not get the amount of passion that you want. Idk, now that I think about it, maybe it's not a good match. But the conversations will always be great. :shrug:

This might be gender specific but the INTP males I dated were all really into the idea of being with a girl in a not-so-friend way. I think they already had female friends or expected women to not like them so you had to hit them with a ton of bricks to get their attention.

Female INTPs are socialized completely differently...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I like to think of a relationship as the progression from interview to job....Obtaining an interview implies the initial attraction (standard) is met. Passing the job interview (Obtaining the job) implies you at-least caught their attention in some unique way and offered value in terms of personality traits. Now, keeping the job requires that your energy doesn't dwindle below a certain threshold over time....meaning that you invest time to perform a job with a level of quality which meets the expectation. Attraction is the foundation of the job.....Suppose the foundation crumbles (hits rock bottom). Then of course, you will lose the job. So, it's a positive balance/interplay between the physical and mental that permits future progression of a job. Also, consider the relationship between dopamine and addiction....If you perform the same duties over and over (repetitively) without change, then there will exist lack of progression (static state). Depending on the time, the job may fail to meet the current expectation in regards to the competitive market. Therefore, it may be required to move on to a more fulfilling job. That is, variation (conversation flow, events) within a relationship are a prerequisite for a healthy relationship (fulfilling job).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INTP took this strategy with me, and it worked. In fact, I don't think anything else would have, but then I am not ENFP. Yes, the conversation is good, and the passion - well, though perhaps not obvious to outside observers, it is satisfying to us, and very private. INTP/INTJ is a good match in having similar expectations in these respects.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One main issue that is quite likely is a clash between Fi and Ti. And the INTP not understanding your Fi is as important as his Ti.

Also, different levels of expressing emotions are likely.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
One main issue that is quite likely is a clash between Fi and Ti. And the INTP not understanding your Fi is as important as his Ti.

Also, different levels of expressing emotions are likely.

Or, worse yet, the Fi user being irritated by the perceived phoniness of the other's Fe, and Ti struggling to understand what's going on, why and what to do about it.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I wouldn't recommend ENFP+INTP for a romantic relationship. If many other factors line up it could be ok but the types in and of themselves aren't the best suited for romance with each other.

' That being said, it's common for a female ENTJ to mistype as an ENFP, or a male INFJ to mistype as an INTP, so don't rule things out if you're not sure on the actual types.

(what I'm getting at is that ENTJ+INTP and ENFP+INFJ are the ideal pairings)