• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Journaling as Different Types

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Here's something I do that I thought I would share, as it seems to be rather informative of how the different elements of one's psyche are constituted.

What you can do is: prompt your mind to think in the manner of one of the 16 types (i.e. say "I'm going to write as an ISFP now") and then write something down that you believe stems from that idea. It doesn't have to be related to typology or anything similar to that, just write with it in your mind that you are temporarily that type.

Actually, you can choose any kind of descriptor or form and write based on that, it doesn't have to be specifically a type. I won't give examples - be as creative as you'd like. Basically, it will summon up the part of your psyche that relates to the idea you're using and you'll be able to see a different side of yourself.

It's really cool to do and can shed much light one oneself, and how one's own constitution can be generalised to learn about whatever it is you're investigating.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Here's something I do that I thought I would share, as it seems to be rather informative of how the different elements of one's psyche are constituted.

What you can do is: prompt your mind to think in the manner of one of the 16 types (i.e. say "I'm going to write as an ISFP now") and then write something down that you believe stems from that idea. It doesn't have to be related to typology or anything similar to that, just write with it in your mind that you are temporarily that type.

Actually, you can choose any kind of descriptor or form and write based on that, it doesn't have to be specifically a type. I won't give examples - be as creative as you'd like. Basically, it will summon up the part of your psyche that relates to the idea you're using and you'll be able to see a different side of yourself.

It's really cool to do and can shed much light one oneself, and how one's own constitution can be generalised to learn about whatever it is you're investigating.

I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to comment on this idea. It's fascinating to me that you're proposing this as a way for "normal" people to learn more about themselves, because as someone who has dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder) I/we can and do quite literally journal as different personality types. Or, perhaps I should say, "I" always journal as "my" type, but I share my brain/body with others who have other types, and so they journal from their own types' perspectives. It is fascinating to us to see, in writing, the evidence of the differences between the ways that we think and/or feel. I wouldn't have thought this would be possible for someone who is a "singlet" (i.e., someone with only one identity), but I suppose with enough understanding of the different types, and enough imagination, it could be possible.

So, since our Typology Central profile says "INFJ" (due to the fact that Leyna, who is INFJ, was the alter who signed us up for this forum), and I, Denise D., am ENTJ, does this qualify as trying your technique? Or would I, Denise D., need to write from the perspective of a non-ENTJ personality type? This idea takes on a whole new meaning when you have DID...

Also, it's interesting that your user name is "Legion", since that is also the name of a superhero in Marvel Comics who has DID. Makes me wonder... but I'm not trying to get you to reveal anything about yourself that you don't feel comfortable revealing.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful idea. I hope others will respond to this thread as well, because it would be fascinating to me/us to see what singlets would do with this idea...

Denise D. Vincent

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically, it will summon up the part of your psyche that relates to the idea you're using and you'll be able to see a different side of yourself.

No.

You will see the manifestation of the attributes that you consciously and/or unconsciously assume for a type; though that seeing a different side of yourself might be tried for types based on shadow functions. Otherwise, it's just the creation of a persona manifesting via your associations and projections.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I hope you don't mind, I just wanted to comment on this idea. It's fascinating to me that you're proposing this as a way for "normal" people to learn more about themselves, because as someone who has dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder) I/we can and do quite literally journal as different personality types. Or, perhaps I should say, "I" always journal as "my" type, but I share my brain/body with others who have other types, and so they journal from their own types' perspectives. It is fascinating to us to see, in writing, the evidence of the differences between the ways that we think and/or feel. I wouldn't have thought this would be possible for someone who is a "singlet" (i.e., someone with only one identity), but I suppose with enough understanding of the different types, and enough imagination, it could be possible.

So, since our Typology Central profile says "INFJ" (due to the fact that Leyna, who is INFJ, was the alter who signed us up for this forum), and I, Denise D., am ENTJ, does this qualify as trying your technique? Or would I, Denise D., need to write from the perspective of a non-ENTJ personality type? This idea takes on a whole new meaning when you have DID...

Also, it's interesting that your user name is "Legion", since that is also the name of a superhero in Marvel Comics who has DID. Makes me wonder... but I'm not trying to get you to reveal anything about yourself that you don't feel comfortable revealing.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful idea. I hope others will respond to this thread as well, because it would be fascinating to me/us to see what singlets would do with this idea...

Denise D. Vincent

Hi Denise,

Of course I don't mind! I welcome responses to my threads; I am dismayed at the lack of responses I get.

To start with, regarding my username: the story is this:

I had been trying to think of a username for the forum, and I thought "I know, I'll look through my music collection for a word that seems like it would make a good username". Whilst doing this, the letter "L" popped into my head, so I decided to look for a word starting with L. Then I came across the album "Legion" by the band Deicide, and thought that sounded like a good word to use. I will mention, that though I wasn't at the time, I am a follower of God and Jesus, and not an enemy of God as the band name may suggest - but I do still listen to death metal.

Regarding the topic, and the associations with D.I.D: I believe that, like perhaps all psychiatric conditions, D.I.D. is a more extreme form of what is in fact a normal psychological facet. We all have different personas that we use for different situations - work, public, home, this person or that, this task or that - it's just that for those with the condition, this propensity is heightened to the point that the different personas become fragmented and the associations between them are loosened. I believe that the multiple faces we show, to some extent, reflect a multitude of personality types a la Jungian psychological types.

To explain what a "type" is in this context: as you know, there are 8 cognitive functions which encapsulate a great deal of human cognition, and which relate to each other in a quasi-mathematical manner. A type indicates the order that these functions manifest in, which corresponds to how conscious each is (at the time that the personality structure is activated) as well as literally being an order in which they are used. The order that these functions manifest in can be changed so that they manifest in a different order - either within the same personality type (e.g. switiching the order of the auxiliary and tertiary) or to a different personality type entirely (switching the first function in the order, or in the case of types sharing the same dominant function, switiching the consciousness attitude of the auxiliary).

--

So multiple personality types are within the grasp of any one person. I believe that there may be a similar story to that of the cognitive functions with a type - that there is an order from conscious to unconscious, but as you go from the least, but nonetheless, conscious type, to the least, but nonetheless, unconscious type, there is a switch from de-energising to energising (i.e. in the sense that Se is de-energising for INFJ, but Ne is energising). So, going with that approach, some personality types can be held consciously, others cannot, but all are present in some form or another. I believe this applies to all, or at least almost all, people (to say nothing of animals).

--

Also, regarding D.I.D.: I had for a time speculated that I may have had the condition, but I believe that it was just that as a result of studying personality types, I had become more conscious of the multiple personality structures existing within myself. There is as of yet no diagnosis or similar of me actually having the condition. That doesn't mean I don't have it, but it's not a belief of mine that I have it.

I did, for a while, give names to some of these alter-egos, and have times when I would zone out and come back to reality in a different personality type, but this was only temporary.

What may be happening in D.I.D. is that the multiple personality structures within a person become dissociated from each other - it is not that they were created, but rather separated. So, in that case, in may not make sense to journal as an ENTJ from the perspective of your INFJ alter, because it might simply activate the ENTJ alter. There may or may not be something within the technique that would allow the alters to become re-associated though, if that is something you strive for.

Anyway, yeah I think this is something everyone can potentially do, and it might take on a different meaning for someone with D.I.D., but I nonetheless believe that we all have multiple types within ourselves - and we can learn about ourselves through exploring this notion - through experimentation and contemplation and so on.

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
No.

You will see the manifestation of the attributes that you consciously and/or unconsciously assume for a type; though that seeing a different side of yourself might be tried for types based on shadow functions. Otherwise, it's just the creation of a persona manifesting via your associations and projections.

So, in other words, you don't believe that doing this actually causes your mind to re-order itself and "become" that type - it only appears to be so because of the way that your associations come to the forefront?

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, in other words, you don't believe that doing this actually causes your mind to re-order itself and "become" that type - it only appears to be so because of the way that your associations come to the forefront?

It becomes a fabrication of the type in question since your mind does not have any idea about the cognitive functions of that type besides the typology studies you have read, the behavioural manifestations of the type in question internalised through time would not have any effect because of an attempt to do that in a very short duration. It would be like a psychologist trying to imitate a patient with some particular disorder; you will be able to see the notes, but there won't be any music.

Had discovering the aspects of the psyche was easy as the method you presented here, there would be much less neurotics or psychotics anyway.

I think you should brush up your Jung and behavioural psychology a bit, but I have never seen you admitting that you are wrong about any particular subject in this forum; so I am not keeping my hopes very high.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It becomes a fabrication of the type in question since your mind does not have any idea about the cognitive functions of that type besides the typology studies you have read, the behavioural manifestations of the type in question internalised through time would not have any effect because of an attempt to do that in a very short duration. It would be like a psychologist trying to imitate a patient with some particular disorder; you will be able to see the notes, but there won't be any music.

Had discovering the aspects of the psyche was easy as the method you presented here, there would be much less neurotics or psychotics anyway.

I think you should brush up your Jung and behavioural psychology a bit, but I have never seen you admitting that you are wrong about any particular subject in this forum; so I am not keeping my hopes very high.

What makes one's "actual" type not a fabrication?

I don't understand your comment regarding neurotics/psychotics.

I frequently update my beliefs.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What makes one's "actual" type not a fabrication?

I don't understand your comment regarding neurotics/psychotics.

I frequently update my beliefs.

Genealogy? Archetypal behavioral patterns that have been shaped for centuries? The unconscious use of functions?

Eh, according to Jung, neurosis or psychosis is a result of a disintegrated, or a non-unified psyche. Or rather a signal of it, instead of a result. Maybe you should update your beliefs more often, regarding Jung, at least.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Genealogy? Archetypal behavioral patterns that have been shaped for centuries? The unconscious use of functions?

Centuries? Wouldn't it have been millions of years?

Regardless, I don't really see why we would only have one type structure present.

Eh, according to Jung, neurosis or psychosis is a result of a disintegrated, or a non-unified psyche. Or rather a signal of it, instead of a result. Maybe you should update your beliefs more often, regarding Jung, at least.

Update more often in the sense that I should have known what Jung said about neurosis/psychosis and a non-unified psyche? Or something?

Can you explain it more or show where he discusses this? I'm someone who is diagnosed as having regular episodes of psychosis.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Honestly, journaling with the proper intention is a very powerful tool; y'all should try it!

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Yes, I've intuitively been aware of this for some time now, as I think I've been a good example of this for a couple years.
It has very unpleasant pits and peaks (not to be confused with bipolar disorder).

I'm speaking of general neurosis, just to be clear, or whatever specific brand/combination of neuroses I have.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] Thanks for your response! I have a lot to say about this, but don't have time to write it all now. I will write more soon, maybe tomorrow.

For now, let me just say that I really appreciate the fact that the vast majority of people in this forum, including yourself, are very accepting of me/us opening up about our DID, and we really appreciate that. We also really appreciate the thoughtful, insightful, intelligent responses that we get from people in this forum.

Thanks! I will write more soon.

Denise D.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
I had been trying to think of a username for the forum, and I thought "I know, I'll look through my music collection for a word that seems like it would make a good username". Whilst doing this, the letter "L" popped into my head, so I decided to look for a word starting with L. Then I came across the album "Legion" by the band Deicide, and thought that sounded like a good word to use. I will mention, that though I wasn't at the time, I am a follower of God and Jesus, and not an enemy of God as the band name may suggest - but I do still listen to death metal.

Thanks for the explanation, although like I said, I wasn't really trying to pry, just wondering I guess. We are followers of Jesus also, and I must admit, I did also think about the Biblical story of Legion, that is, the legion of demons that Jesus drove out of a person. Some Christians mistakenly think that means that all people with DID are demon-possessed, but we of course know better.

Regarding the topic, and the associations with D.I.D: I believe that, like perhaps all psychiatric conditions, D.I.D. is a more extreme form of what is in fact a normal psychological facet. We all have different personas that we use for different situations - work, public, home, this person or that, this task or that - it's just that for those with the condition, this propensity is heightened to the point that the different personas become fragmented and the associations between them are loosened. I believe that the multiple faces we show, to some extent, reflect a multitude of personality types a la Jungian psychological types.

I've heard other people say similar things before, about how DID might be a more extreme form of the normal "different facets" of a person. In fact, it's usually one of the first things people ask us about when we tell them about our DID. When people ask us if we think that's the case, we usually say something along the lines of "Well...yes and no." It is a little similar, but the thing is, the separations that occur with DID start with a separation of identity, and then proceed to diverging into a different personality, not the other way around as most people think. In fact, that's part of the reason why the name of the disorder was changed from "multiple personality" to "dissociative identity". We are not personality types who have gradually formed a sense of identity, but rather separate identities who have gradually formed their own personalities. The split, or divergence as I like to call it, happens due to childhood trauma, always before the age of about 7-8 years old or so. When a child is experiencing trauma that is too much for them to handle, and the "fight or flight" response is not an option (they are too small and weak to either fight or escape), they escape into their own mind, and form a separate identity to handle the trauma for them. The personality type of this new identity is not important in that moment, only the fact that they can help to fragment the memories of the experience. Each new identity's personality type forms as a consequence of their experiences, which aspects of their shared life they personally are present for. I hope this explanation helps you to understand it better.

What may be happening in D.I.D. is that the multiple personality structures within a person become dissociated from each other - it is not that they were created, but rather separated. So, in that case, in may not make sense to journal as an ENTJ from the perspective of your INFJ alter, because it might simply activate the ENTJ alter. There may or may not be something within the technique that would allow the alters to become re-associated though, if that is something you strive for.

Although I don't agree that we are formed from personality structures, I think that you are actually partially correct in what you are saying here. That is, that we are not created, but separated. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there is a new-ish theory about the creation of alters in a DID system that's been becoming more widely accepted, called the Theory of Structural Dissociation, or TSD for short. According to the TSD, every person is born with multiple emotional states. These aren't really fully formed personalities, but rather sort of like disjointed fragments of personalities. In a "normal" person, these fragments eventually coalesce into one cohesive identity and personality by the age of about 7-8. But in someone who experiences severe childhood trauma, this process is interrupted, and these fragments instead diverge into separate identities. But again, it's more about divergence of identity than it is about divergence of personality types. After all, if it was just divergence of personality types, then it should follow that it wouldn't be possible for a DID system to have more than 16 alters. However, we have 70 alters, and we have met other DID systems who have far more than we do. We haven't all taken the MBTI yet, but of those of us who have, we know, for instance, that we have at least four ENFP's: Rachel, Mindy, Jenny and Elena. These four are obviously similar in personality, but they are each their own unique individual, just as everyone in the world is unique.

I hope what I have said makes sense to you and helps you to understand DID better. Let me know if you have any questions.

Denise D.