• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne and argumentative abduction

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
just in case you guys don't remember from the induction/deduction thread,

deduction: if A then B, if B then C, therefore if A then C.

induction: if A then mostly B, if B then C, A then C.

deduction is the most foolproof way of arguing. it is 100% guaranteed to be true by definition. induction is useful, but not foolproof.

there's another way of arguing known as abduction, and quite honestly, it's even more dangerous than induction. abduction is also called 'inference to the best solution'. statements like 'given that she needs some toothpaste, she will go buy some' is an argument from abduction. however, so are statements like 'given that i lost my pen and i can't think of a better reason for losing it than the existence of elves, it must be elves'.

i've found myself automatically using abduction on a daily basis. Ne is the function that analyses patterns and makes links between seemingly unrelated things. it is also my dominant function. i think there's a connection. do other Ne doms have the same experiences?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it is 100% guaranteed to be true by definition.

ya. exactly. induction isn't foolproof, but it can apply to more things then deduction because it isn't limited by definition.

my answer alone answers your question. of course haha. i hardly know the difference between deduction and induction.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure how it links to a particular function, but abduction is a very human thing, and most people have a tendency of using it. Abductive reasoning has actually caught the attention of AI designers for this reason.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how it links to a particular function, but abduction is a very human thing, and most people have a tendency of using it. Abductive reasoning has actually caught the attention of AI designers for this reason.

that would answer why "computer player" always has to "cheat" to be on "expert mode" (at least in my experience). They can't suddenly make the CP this advanced humanoid. the best they can do is make it a faster deducer/algorithm than the regular level (so to get beyond that, they sometimes give the CP impossible speed, multitasking, resources, moves etc)