• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing by vocal analysis

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I would like to introduce my methodology of typing people via the qualities of their voice.

There are 4 important terms here that describe different aspects of speech: pushes, draws, waves and hones.

Pushes are an outward flow of energy. They indicate the use of extroverted judgement (Fe or Te).

Draws, which means drawing in, are an inward flow of energy. They indicate introverted judgement (Fi or Ti).

Waves are an up-and-down flow of energy. They indicate extroverted perception (Se or Ne).

Hones, which means honing in, are a focused flow of energy. They indicate introverted perception (Si or Ni).

As functions come in pairs, what one wants to do is to identify the pushes and draws and contrast them with each other, asking the following question: where is the emotion being used? Does the emotion come into play when the person is pushing outwards, or drawing in? Likewise, there is confidence, in the sense of confidence in one's assertions. If emotion suggests whether a person is making a judgement of good or bad, confidence, which is emotionally neutral, makes a judgement of whether something is true or false. So by identifying whether the draw is emotive and the push neutral (Fi and Te) or whether the draw is neutral and the push emotive (Ti and Fe) one can identify which of the pairs of judgement functions the person uses (uses consciously).

Next, identify the waves and the hones, and ask the following question: which is speculative in nature, and which is definitive in nature? Intuition will have the sense of being a guess, and will be future focused, whereas Sensation will be more factual and present focused. So if the person is being speculative when they wave and definitive when they hone, they are using Ne and Si, but if they are definitive when they wave, and speculative when they hone, they are using Se and Ni.

The qualities of each of the perception functions are as follows:

Ni is leading. When the Ni user speaks through their Ni, there is a sense of a directed flow of energy that is leading somewhere, prompting the listener to see where the person is going with what they are saying.

Si is emphatic. When the Si user speaks through their Si, there is a sense of pointed emphasis, as if to say "I remember this well, and you should remember it too". When they are hone they are retrieving specific information.

Ne is open-ended. When the Ne user speaks through their Ne, there is a sense of exploring the topic, perhaps brainstorming, and going with the flow of information as it changes.

Se is presenting. When the Se user speaks through their Se, there is a sense of experiential-ness, often as if the person is reliving something as they speak, or adding a liveliness to the discussion.

So an Ne+Si user will be alternating between a wandering around and then anchor with a distinct emphasising of the details, whereas an Ni+Se user will be leading up to things as an evolving process and then present distinct details as is relevant.

Then, for J versus P, notice that the hones and pushes go together, and the draws and waves go together, and try and determine which is the natural and energising pair of functions for the person, and which is the unnatural and de-energising pair of functions. You can make the distinction often based on which is more prominent in terms of volume, but this can go wrong since a person may for some reason be in a mode where they are using their lower functions more prominently.

For introversion versus extroversion, I am less certain, but I think that you can determine it by listening for which come first: do the hones preceed the pushes, or the pushes preceed the honest, and likewise, do the draws preceed the waves, or do the waves preceed the draws? I have noticed that this at least might be the case, e.g. an ISTJ may often start a sentence by honing into specific information, and then neutrally pushing outwards once the information is arrived at, with an overall emphaticness to it, whereas an ESTJ will often push outwards, and the hone inwards, again with an emphaticness.

Any of the qualities of the functions can be determined whether or not you understand the language the person is using. Actually, attempting to determine the cognitive functions of a foreign language speaker is perhaps better because you don't have the distraction of the meaning of the words that the person is saying. You can listen simply to the qualities of the voice, and get a feel for what sort of states of mind that the person's voice is eliciting in you.

And as for anything in typology, these are abstractions. A person is not a pure type, so the presence of contradictory signals is to be expected, but there should generally be a clear predominance of certain signals over others.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is very interesting! As an Ne user, the description is spot on for my conversation method and how I talk. My vocal pitch frequently moves up and down naturally (it's been described as "sing-song" before). I also tend to talk quite fast as my brain is always moving quite fast and taking in information rapidly. I wonder if normal conversational speed could have something to do with it.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
This is very interesting! As an Ne user, the description is spot on for my conversation method and how I talk. My vocal pitch frequently moves up and down naturally (it's been described as "sing-song" before). I also tend to talk quite fast as my brain is always moving quite fast and taking in information rapidly. I wonder if normal conversational speed could have something to do with it.

Must be related to the neuronal connection signaling between each synapse....which in turn is a function of processing speed. Now, Ne usage is most likely related to the firing rate/timing of each neuron, which can effect the speech flow/energy.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think this would possibly leave me somewhere along the lines of INTJ, but I'm not sure.

I still think it's interesting.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think this would possibly leave me somewhere along the lines of INTJ, but I'm not sure.

I still think it's interesting.

Interestingly, I do think you're an INTJ (based on visuals and post analysis).

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I feel like giving up on the typology community.

Yeah you and me both.

I'm on the cutting edge of development in the field of typology, but I don't actually understand the point of it all. Why try to classify people? It can make certain processes more efficient, but like, we can read people anyway, and it may be preferable for life to proceed in a more un-labelled, chaotic manner.

I think the next part of my journey will be in alchemy. I've considered myself somewhat of an alchemist for a while, but I've only recently started reading actual texts on the subject.

For now though, I'm still making progress - finding gold in the goldmine that is typology - so I won't stop -just- yet.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
For introversion versus extroversion, I am less certain, but I think that you can determine it by listening for which come first: do the hones preceed the pushes, or the pushes preceed the honest, and likewise, do the draws preceed the waves, or do the waves preceed the draws? I have noticed that this at least might be the case, e.g. an ISTJ may often start a sentence by honing into specific information, and then neutrally pushing outwards once the information is arrived at, with an overall emphaticness to it, whereas an ESTJ will often push outwards, and the hone inwards, again with an emphaticness.

Related to this, I want to make an addition to the typing method I outlined.

I was just listening to some music, and I was reminded of the fact (?) that, at least in singing/rapping, if not talking too, there's a "1 then 2" structure across all the dichotomies, maybe even a "1, 2, 3, 4".

To illustrate: if someone is an FJ, then when they sing (or speak) the start with an emotive push, then go to a neutral draw, and an NP will start with a speculative wave then go to a definitive hone. Or an NJ will lead and then present, within a single line (oftentimes, anyway).

Actually, I'm still having the hardest time differentiating introverts from extroverts, but that's to be expected with a method based on the cognitive functions.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Interestingly, I do think you're an INTJ (based on visuals and post analysis).

It's something I've only secretly considered because I haven't worked through substantial solid reasoning for it yet and I can just see the forum backlash now, which I just don't feel like dealing with.

It'd probably weirdly also mean I'm not a core 4, and the only other type I can honestly logically consider for myself is a sexual 5w4, which will also cause laughter.

I'm pretty sure I'm too emotionally reactive to be a 5, but I am pretty confident in my tritype of 458, and the sexual 548/584 is the only 5 who somewhat frequently mistakes themselves for a 4.

I might have a video coming soon, which if I pull the trigger will be in my blog. I do truly think most people here have an extremely misguided perception of me and would be surprised by my in-person persona.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
To be clear, I'm not saying I'm anything other than INFP 4w5 Sp/Sx, more just that I prefer to be open minded of alternatives in the name of accuracy.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be clear, I'm not saying I'm anything other than INFP 4w5 Sp/Sx, more just that I prefer to be open minded of alternatives in the name of accuracy.

I'm glad that you were able to figure out your type. I know that for awhile there you identified as INFJ. That's very common for INFPs to do.

rav3n

The more of your posts I read, the less you sound like an INFP. Have you ever considered one of the TPs?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is really interesting @Legion and I think there is something to it. For some reason I can't apply it to my own speech patterns. I often start saying something indicating meaning or gravitas and then have sudden interruptions with a short laugh and sudden turn to humor. I'll sometimes cadence definitively after an animated delivery. I have some videos but am not certain about this. I do have a kind of singular overall focus with juxtapositions. I also teach children and have had to keep their attention so it's a bit animated and entertaining in a light way with deeper undertones. Your input would be interesting to me, but I don't know if you have heard my voice.

Also my speech is very different than my text and writing so that is a significant issue for me. My non verbal communication is the majority and the text a very small portion which is why my jokes fall flat online but not irl

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This just gives me Ni-Je yet again.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I feel like giving up on the typology community.

Do it. :devil:

To the topic at hand, seems a bit like witchcraft. Clearly you need to be offering some service type people based on their voices....it's never been done before. :whistling:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx

I suppose people will make up their own things based on projections regardless.
It's sad to see people go this far down the rabbit hole, but then I wonder if they were already in it and it's not caused by faulty methods for understanding nomothetic theories.

Edit: No offense or harm was intended in this, I simply thought it was necessary to speak the truth in order to hopefully get them to realize they're in a rabbit hole. I ultimately view this as more helpful and silence as destructive in this.

Last edited: