• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing by vocal analysis

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
A note on Fi:

Fi works as an inner resonating process. It is about an internal reaction that is based on holistic properties.

As such, it doesn't necessarily measure something according to specific values, but rather values are chosen based on how they internally resonate with the subject.

rav3n

What I meant was that you don't have to know the meaning of the words being spoken. I was reiterating that the presence of Fi I identified wasn't about what you were saying, but how you were saying it.
Why would someone not knowing the meaning of the words, respond in a manner that Fi isn't a part of aka no violation of values?

Well... all I can say that is if a function is conscious for you, even if it's the inferior function, then it can be used to such a degree that it temporarily becomes the primary signal you're giving off. It is operating as an inferior function still, and so lacks the strength and lack of filtration of the dominant, so I wouldn't say it's taking charge, so much as taking a turn "speaking".
Since the inferior function's in the unconscious, this again doesn't align with function theory.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Why would someone not knowing the meaning of the words, respond in a manner that Fi isn't a part of aka no violation of values?

Again, I can't understand what you mean here.

Since the inferior function's in the unconscious, this again doesn't align with function theory.

The inferior can be conscious if you've not yet developed it enough, but generally, from what I understand, the first four functions are regarded as (at least, potentially) conscious.

rav3n

Again, I can't understand what you mean here.
Go back to my post that provides the definition of Fi.

The inferior can be conscious if you've not yet developed it enough, but generally, from what I understand, the first four functions are regarded as (at least, potentially) conscious.
Most used functions =/= conscious. The inferior function can be developed over time but I'm uncertain whether or not it ever fully comes out of the unconscious, and is integrated into the conscious mind.

The Inferior Function: An Underestimated (But Potent) Personality Factor

Because the inferior function—sometimes called the lost, missing, or repressed function—is the most unconscious of a type’s four functions, it is the most difficult to access and integrate. This is why it is commonly symbolized in dreams as being buried deep underground, undersea, or in a dark forest.

As a generality, we appear to have different understandings of cognitive functions and many words.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
damn...

conscious level (You)
1st
2nd
--------- control
3rd
4th

unconscious level (Dark You)
5th
6th
--------- control
7th
8th

You confuse conscious with control. :D

rav3n

Analyzing this a bit more, if Fi is perceived as a higher pitch, what does this say about IFP and EFP males? From the ones that I know IRL, they have typically male pitched voices in the mid to lower ranges. I honestly don't know a single IFP or EFP male who speaks in the higher male range.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Your ability for understanding people (Fi) is conscious but you don't have control over that function because your judgment Te 90% wins over Fi judgment

I have a voice that many people have said is the perfect dj or radio show host’s voice. It’s deep and naturally carries. My best friend likes to point out that I don’t have an indoor voice. I did do some DJing at the school radio station in college though. It was a lot of fun.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I have a voice that many people have said is the perfect dj or radio show host’s voice. It’s deep and naturally carries. My best friend likes to point out that I don’t have an indoor voice. I did do some DJing at the school radio station in college though. It was a lot of fun.

Do go on...

... with a recording.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we did a vocal analysis thread at one point.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah, blasting is volume/magnitude premised. Had you stated demanding and conclusive, I'd be fine with that, even though it's a tad...much since the intent isn't to always demand.

Relative to what?

What about granite, like the lid of a gothic coffin slamming down? Or does that evoke a tone too much?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of the specifics, even if in the very broadest sense I think there are blatant traits that can manifest.

It's always easiest to reference myself, plus I've actually consciously done some voice alteration for various reasons (some practical).

Basically if I'm in "normal" mode (i.e., I'm not thinking at all about my voice but merely "thinking out loud"), I'm very monotone, flat, quiet. I would call that my thought process voice. I've had people tell me the timbre is actually reassuring/calming, but to me i just feel kind of flat, no emotive peaks.

Instead, if I'm in creative/fun mode, I get louder and I'm laughing a lot, more volume and more peaks, but still not a ton of nuance.

However, let's say I'm on the phone with someone at work or in a phone meeting. I consciously actually change my voice, it becomes more emotive, it's fishing for a connection, trying to win the other over. It's about as emotive as my voice gets, and much of it, I'm even aware of -- it's a conscious decision. Higher-pitched. Not as flat. In general, any time I'm in a group that isn't people I'm regular friends with, my voice can take on a more emotive tone. But it also drains energy from me, I get tired eventually and the voice quality eventually will go back to flatter presentation if/when I run out of steam or no longer want to be there.... or if we get into a purely informational bent and I stop thinking about my presentation. But I see it clearly as me trying to present a certain way, for certain reasons.

See, as far as MBTI goes, it's not a far cry to label the first as Ti, the second as Ne, and the final one as Fe. I mean, that kind of makes sense... in a broad way.

HOWEVER, you can't know that just by listening to a single clip of me. You have to already have a benchmark FOR me, know the range of what kinds of voice I'm capable of using, and then know what context I am using that voice in. So in terms of the specific and predictive quality, you can't really just listen to a clip and spit out a specific personality assessment. In fact, it's easier to recognize qualities of my voice if you already know my personality, which is kind of the opposite of determining personality by voice. Maybe you can start with a voice and get some ballpark ideas to follow up on, but definitively?

Voice working with body language and how people present themselves (and it's always in a context, then, because you're engaging them in a particular context), can suggest a type, I think you just need other factors to get specific.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Analyzing this a bit more, if Fi is perceived as a higher pitch, what does this say about IFP and EFP males? From the ones that I know IRL, they have typically male pitched voices in the mid to lower ranges. I honestly don't know a single IFP or EFP male who speaks in the higher male range.

I checked a video of an INFP male, and when he is using Fi his voice is higher pitched than when he is using Te. I didn't say they necessarily had a higher pitched voice overall.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Giving some actual examples:

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance YouTube

As you'll hear, she opens with a clearly harmonic vocal approach.

She then switches to a blasting style, with an airy (Ni) feel.

She's probably an ENTJ.

Ok, so there's a certain grouping of people that are supposedly ENTJs, but I'm strongly considering that they're actually ENFPs (Lady Gaga being one of them).

I probably shouldn't have posted that typing list, but I did, so it's there. But there's still a lot of controversy surrounding who's typed as what etc.