• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing by vocal analysis

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh, I see. Which MBTI books have you read that you agree with? Yeah, I suppose I can agree with some of this, particularly the part about F subjective and T objective, but the part about the reactions seems rather strange. Isn't that basically suggesting that a T might not for instance, do something nice just to see their kid smile, or have I misunderstood you? Admittedly, my brain is fried right now. Interesting point about the 5 years thing though, I suppse if you want to come from the angle of functions then there is overlap with Ni in that. I won't be annoying and argue things, thanks for indulging my curiosity and sharing.
Context matters, and I also look for patterns. On average, though, I suspect a Ti-dom would have different reasons for doing something nice for their kid, even if subjective (they would have inf Fe, after all - everyone uses every function, and functions work together). You don't need Ni to think ahead 5 years, so all functions can play into the response.

As for books, I have read:

Isabel Briggs Myers Gifts Differing (the best, and first one I recommend to people)
Lenore Thomson Personality Type: An Owner's Manual
Otto Kroeger and Janet Thuesen, Type Talk and Type Talk at Work
Also several by Paul Tieger & Barbara Baron-Tieger

I don't agree with everything in all of them, but overall, especially taken together, I find they give a reasonable picture of what MBTI is about. I weigh the first most heavily.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Context matters, and I also look for patterns. On average, though, I suspect a Ti-dom would have different reasons for doing something nice for their kid, even if subjective (they would have inf Fe, after all - everyone uses every function, and functions work together). You don't need Ni to think ahead 5 years, so all functions can play into the response.

As for books, I have read:

Isabel Briggs Myers Gifts Differing (the best, and first one I recommend to people)
Lenore Thomson Personality Type: An Owner's Manual
Otto Kroeger and Janet Thuesen, Type Talk and Type Talk at Work
Also several by Paul Tieger & Barbara Baron-Tieger

I don't agree with everything in all of them, but overall, especially taken together, I find they give a reasonable picture of what MBTI is about. I weigh the first most heavily.

I see. It seems somewhat black and white to me if I'm honest, but again, I won't argue it...just sharing my view on it. I think a lot of people who are that T are just trying to fit the mold of the type often times, albeit not in all cases. Sorry, when I said '5 years' I was erroneous in my communication, as I said, my brain is fried...it's been a long day and I probably need sleep. I intended to refer to what you were saying about long term vs short term.

Thanks again for sharing.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see. It seems somewhat black and white to me if I'm honest, but again, I won't argue it...just sharing my view on it. I think a lot of people who are that T are just trying to fit the mold of the type often times, albeit not in all cases. Sorry, when I said '5 years' I was erroneous in my communication, as I said, my brain is fried...it's been a long day and I probably need sleep. I intended to refer to what you were saying about long term vs short term.

Thanks again for sharing.
Well, I did say "on average", and point out that context and patterns matter. Any type can behave in any way, it is the motivations and methods that usually distinguish one from the other. By patterns I mean that I look to see the same motivations, preferences, values, priorities repeated, not just in one situation. No one fits a type description perfectly. They are too much like stereotypes, and real people are much more varied. That is why I hesitate to offer my opinion on someone's type if I don't have enough data, and here that means getting glimpses into their inner thoughts through what they post.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Well, I did say "on average", and point out that context and patterns matter. Any type can behave in any way, it is the motivations and methods that usually distinguish one from the other. By patterns I mean that I look to see the same motivations, preferences, values, priorities repeated, not just in one situation. No one fits a type description perfectly. They are too much like stereotypes, and real people are much more varied. That is why I hesitate to offer my opinion on someone's type if I don't have enough data, and here that means getting glimpses into their inner thoughts through what they post.

Fair enough. It's nice to know more people around the forums actually read the materials more than following memes these days, also.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So far I'm finding that the 8 cognitive functions model is a really good way to look at it. The cues I described cover most of the voice, and really seem to show in the way that I would have predicted from the theory.

If you can turn it into a reliable (and replicable) way of identifying and understanding personality in a way that can help people rather than confuse or increase insecurity, well I can only wish you the best and say I'll take a good look at any books or writings you may come out with in the future.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If you can turn it into a reliable (and replicable) way of identifying and understanding personality in a way that can help people rather than confuse or increase insecurity, well I can only wish you the best and say I'll take a good look at any books or writings you may come out with in the future.

Yeah I found that typology increased my confusion until I got good at it. Now it's still an obsession, but it doesn't make me confused, it actually clears things up.

There are other people working on the case too, people who have gone farther than I have, but I feel that I will be able to make some impressive contributions.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Yeah I found that typology increased my confusion until I got good at it. Now it's still an obsession, but it doesn't make me confused, it actually clears things up.

There are other people working on the case too, people who have gone farther than I have, but I feel that I will be able to make some impressive contributions.

It's time to conjure up a new theory to heal the generations to come.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
A new typological theory? Or a new non-typological theory?

Either would work...Exhibiting high Ti with Ni can be a powerful tool to solve a problem relating to a vision. I mentioned that since you mention being an "alchemist." I also think INFJ's make great inspirational speakers.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Either would work...Exhibiting high Ti with Ni can be a powerful tool to solve a problem relating to a vision. I mentioned that since you mention being an "alchemist." I also think INFJ's make great inspirational speakers.

I think the problem with Ni+Ti though is that it can be a bit too theoretical - always moving to more and more concise representations of things without any outward movement to keep it going forward.

The ways that my Ni+Ti comes out is through things like philosophical, scientific, mathematical speculations. I try to derive principles but there's not that much that can be done with them.

I have had someone once tell me that I would make a good motivational speaker, so yeah that's a possibility. I'm still figuring out where all of this is leading exactly. Typology is a largely untapped well of potential and is undergoing a shift in how it is conceptualised that will lead to large waves being formed in the not-too-distant future but it's uncertain as to how positive or negative those changes will be, and I'd like to be on the frontline of guiding those forces to places conducive to positivity and growth for the people.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Here's a term for each function:

(opposing functions in pairs for contrast and co-occurrence)

Ni - dreamy
Se - firm

Si - constant
Ne - versatile

Fi - harmonic
Te - blasting

Ti - chilled
Fe - expressive

(based on singers)

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Damn Legion, youre one smart kid!! :D:D I think youre right, the voice can tell us a lot about someone's personality. It can give a pretty good indication as to introversion or extraversion. Also an intuitive is quite easy to spot from their voice, especially an Extraverted Intuition user - quicker, sharper. The exception being ESTP, who can also sound like one.

As regards to tones, working out order of functions scientifically - I dont quite have the right brain to do that. (Something to do with Te or Ti?) Or maybe Im just not that smart. But anyway great theorising, keep it up!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, what a shame, I thought this thread would be voice submissions analysed by the thread starter. Interesting nonetheless.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't fit any of these talk typings...

I speak pretty straightforward, but not in a confidence sense. I am rarely as clear as I want to be. I mutter a lot too, and tend to get irritaited by stupid questions or humor. But I can also be very loud and enthusiastic if it is something I enjoy talking about, or an argument. But most of the time, I remain a silent observer that doesn't speak unless spoken to. I have a habit of condensing my speech to communicate enough information, so I don't have to explain everything. I find that annoying at times.

EDIT: Now that I read OP again, I decribed my fluctuations, and they fit a lot of things, and not just one function observation.

So yeah, I see both Te, Fi, Ni in what I posted here.

rav3n

Here's a term for each function:

(opposing functions in pairs for contrast and co-occurrence)

Ni - dreamy
Se - firm

Si - constant
Ne - versatile

Fi - harmonic
Te - blasting

Ti - chilled
Fe - expressive

(based on singers)
Nope. I'm near soft spoken and only blast when necessary such as to be heard at a club or when a child's far away and is in danger (aka safety issue). You'll find the same holds true for many ENTJs, albeit not all. An example of such is Bill Gates.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Nope. I'm near soft spoken and only blast when necessary such as to be heard at a club or when a child's far away and is in danger (aka safety issue). You'll find the same holds true for many ENTJs, albeit not all. An example of such is Bill Gates.

"Blasting" was the word on the list which I was the least comfortable with, but it does approximately fit with what I was trying to portray.

At any rate though, Bill Gates is an NTP, not an ENTJ.

raskol

"Blasting" was the word on the list which I was the least comfortable with, but it does approximately fit with what I was trying to portray.
It does. Te dom involves avalanching speech, nasal when stressed (Ben Shapiro).

The American Counseling Association has pegged Bill Gates as ENTJ, while Keirsey types him as INTJ.

rav3n

It doesn't fit. Se is the blaster function. Te is a directive function, regardless of volume or not.

Nope. Gates is an ENTJ.

Celebrity Personality Types | MBTI ENTJ Types | Career Assessment Site
The MBTI Database | Myers-Briggs Personality Types for Famous & Fictional People
Bill Gates: ENTJ or INTP? – IDR Labs

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I could quite frankly care less what any given person has been typed as by these people.