• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confusing Functions.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been looking at Socionics, MBTI, and Jungian theory for a long time now. Ultimately, I'm unable to determine my type with any degree of accuracy in any particular system, because the meanings of the functions seem so esoteric. This weakness can be found in all of these systems relying upon Jung's definitions, which were inherently vague (but still interesting). I can't really see how to differentiate one function from another, because any action you take could be due to the motivation of any function. For instance, saying "Hello." to someone could be due to several motivations. It could be Extraverted Feeling, desiring to connect to others and express one's interest and concern for the other person's emotional state. It might be Introverted Sensing, displaying what it believes is the proper and accepted "form" for social interactions. It could be Introverted Thinking, having developed or recognized a system for social interaction. It could be Extraverted Intuition, wishing to see what new potentialities arise from the greeting. It could be Extraverted Thinking, viewing the greeting as a step in working towards a specific goal. It could be Introverted Feeling, believing that this interaction will result in an emotional intensity for them. I could continue, but I think you probably see the point. How can anyone actually know their type, if actions aren't necessarily caused by any particular function, and one cannot always be certain of what one's primary motivation was in the first place, whether you had more than one motivation, or whether this particular set of motivations is even valid or complete? This seems to be quite a mess. How can anyone really understand this?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
It could also be habitual training, not motivated by a function at all. ;)

My first suggestion is to pick one system and work there. Personally, I prefer MBTI which is closely aligned with Jungian theory; it's what I've been trained in, so I am biased.

I'd also suggest you look at Thompson's Jung's Function-Attitudes Explained book (I think that's the name).

Please break up your text into paragraphs so it's a little easier to read on-line. :D Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For instance, saying "Hello." to someone could be due to several motivations. It could be Extraverted Feeling, desiring to connect to others and express one's interest and concern for the other person's emotional state. It might be Introverted Sensing, displaying what it believes is the proper and accepted "form" for social interactions. It could be Introverted Thinking, having developed or recognized a system for social interaction. It could be Extraverted Intuition, wishing to see what new potentialities arise from the greeting. It could be Extraverted Thinking, viewing the greeting as a step in working towards a specific goal. It could be Introverted Feeling, believing that this interaction will result in an emotional intensity for them. I could continue, but I think you probably see the point.

Definitely. This is exactly why people in general often misinterpret each other and end up in conflict; they all bring different assumptions to the table as to what a particular behavior is indicative of.... because they're using the wrong lexicon (i.e., their own) to interpret the other's action.

How can anyone actually know their type, if actions aren't necessarily caused by any particular function, and one cannot always be certain of what one's primary motivation was in the first place, whether you had more than one motivation, or whether this particular set of motivations is even valid or complete? This seems to be quite a mess. How can anyone really understand this?

Because personality is holistic and each data point is interpreted in light of OTHER data points. when you try to figure out someone's personality, you need a certain assortment of points before you can accurately interpret what a behavior means.

(As a similar situation, professional interrogators know this, when trying to interpret whether someone is lying to them or not. There are no "singular" behaviors that prove that someone is lying; it's rather a COMBINATION of behaviors that can highly signify that someone is probably lying. The behaviors are all taken in relation to each other, to make an assessment.)

I think S's (most of them) have more trouble with this, because they focus so much on the outer behavior, and some will try to extrapolate mnotivation from too few behavioral clues. N's are more inclined to be in "pattern recognition" mode and think holistically.

There's also the sense that the picture is not black/white, it's various shades of gray. So any "guess" as to type has to be constantly adjusted as new behavior is observable, and someone's type is still always just a probability rather than a certainty. And there's also a lot of variability WITHIN types! (Not all ISFJs look alike, for example. They can be reduced to general common motivations, but they can all look very different in terms of cosmetic details, interests, etc.) We are all unique.

Anyway, to figure out a type, you need to have a good sense of the possible motivations for a particular behavior, and you also need a collection of behaviors from "all over the map" -- then you check the motivations for each behavior, see which motivations are most prominent, and how prominent they are.

Note: Each guess at someone's type contains not just the "guess" itself but also must contain the "strength" of the guess -- i.e., how probable the guess is to be the right answer.

And, for example, if I had to figure out your type: Your post is the sort of question that could potentially fit under Ni. And I would have noted that your example referred to a social nicety -- which often is an Fe way of thinking. Still, there are various reasons you might have selected these examples and these questions, so they are WEAK data points with nothing else supporting them, so I wouldn't have felt comfortable basing a type reading on them; but they are examples of two data points I would have used to get a holistic picture of you, and they happen to fit with your expressed type. The more data points I get to work with, the more distinct the picture becomes.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been looking at Socionics, MBTI, and Jungian theory for a long time now. Ultimately, I'm unable to determine my type with any degree of accuracy in any particular system, because the meanings of the functions seem so esoteric. This weakness can be found in all of these systems relying upon Jung's definitions, which were inherently vague (but still interesting). I can't really see how to differentiate one function from another, because any action you take could be due to the motivation of any function. For instance, saying "Hello." to someone could be due to several motivations. It could be Extraverted Feeling, desiring to connect to others and express one's interest and concern for the other person's emotional state. It might be Introverted Sensing, displaying what it believes is the proper and accepted "form" for social interactions. It could be Introverted Thinking, having developed or recognized a system for social interaction. It could be Extraverted Intuition, wishing to see what new potentialities arise from the greeting. It could be Extraverted Thinking, viewing the greeting as a step in working towards a specific goal. It could be Introverted Feeling, believing that this interaction will result in an emotional intensity for them. I could continue, but I think you probably see the point. How can anyone actually know their type, if actions aren't necessarily caused by any particular function, and one cannot always be certain of what one's primary motivation was in the first place, whether you had more than one motivation, or whether this particular set of motivations is even valid or complete? This seems to be quite a mess. How can anyone really understand this?
My advice is to leave Socionics out. It is all wrong.

Only the first two functions in the MBTI system are correctly presented.
You are INFJ hence your first functions are Ni and Fe.
It follows your least developed functions are Ti and Se.

According to the model. An abstraction. Does not apply individually.

Because of their interplay the functions are difficult to tell apart.
Functions are influenced by other functions.
A function in a vacuum is an abstract concept.

Jung is not an icon. He is subject to error. He is misinterpreted and abused.

Why do you say hello?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, since this forum IS called MBTI central, that's the one I'll deal with here (Socionics already has a whole forum at the16types.info). I actually began studying the other systems because I couldn't differentiate the functions within MBTI, and I was wondering if any other systems had a way to do so, but now I'm more confused than ever.

How exactly am I supposed to know what my motivations for any given action are, because I could look at my entire past and interpret my reasons for doing everything I did from several different perspectives. I could do the same with everyone else's past.

Finally, how can I actually know that the functions described actually exist, and are not simply ideas proposed to describe the reasons for differences between people's behavior, but do not completely explain everything? If they don't explain anything, how can they even give us a picture of what we might be like?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How exactly am I supposed to know what my motivations for any given action are, because I could look at my entire past and interpret my reasons for doing everything I did from several different perspectives. I could do the same with everyone else's past.

Again, the way you phrase the question and the questions you ask actually are suggestive of a particular function (Ni). Every thing you say and do are clues as to what your general motivations are. There are other people who would NEVER ask this sort of question, nor even THINK of this question, and might not even UNDERSTAND your question.

Finally, how can I actually know that the functions described actually exist, and are not simply ideas proposed to describe the reasons for differences between people's behavior, but do not completely explain everything? If they don't explain anything, how can they even give us a picture of what we might be like?

No theory explains everything. There's variability in every theory, especially of personality -- because all people are completely unique, both in biology and in environment. Take even the same person and raise them 100 years in the future or past, and while their general personality might be the same, they will STILL differentiate because of the environmental differences.

The functions are just generalized tendencies -- one way of looking at behavior and motivation. various paradigms exist because there are different ways to model the world, and we evaluate them based on their predictive nature.

I think if someone can use a model to predict behavior more than chance would predict, then the model has some use. No model encompasses ALL truth from all angles at once; there is no unified theory of EVERYTHING, there are simply different ways to look at the world, some more predictive than others.

Does this make sense?

The more specific the model gets, the more likely it is to produce wrong answers. The functions of MBTI are general enough to be useful and categorize (1) the way we perceive the world and (2) the way we evaluate data and make decisions. There are other ways to do this, but this model is effective enough to be predictive with people who know how to use it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I was pretty sure that I was an Intuitive of some sort. The problem was that I wasn't sure how to tell Ni (Introverted Intuition) from Ne (Extraverted Intuition). Also, I had been told by some people that I because I tended to be specific and rely on a lot of detail rather than than see things as general, I must be a Sensory type. So I just don't know, really. I guess if you think I show more Ni, and it seems more plausible to me than, say, Si, then that probably makes sense? I mean, you do seem to understand this rather well, in addition to being intelligent in general.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I was pretty sure that I was an Intuitive of some sort. The problem was that I wasn't sure how to tell Ni (Introverted Intuition) from Ne (Extraverted Intuition). Also, I had been told by some people that I because I tended to be specific and rely on a lot of detail rather than than see things as general, I must be a Sensory type. So I just don't know, really.

The Lenore Thomson book (and the user wiki) has some good information on how to distinguish the two functions. There is also a basic function chart here.

In my understanding, it's like this:

Ne is seeing what is possible in the outer world. It basically takes in data and tries to form patterns of what is happening in the world. Using Ne means that you are trusting the external world to give you details.

This is why INTPs are good at deriving conceptual truth from the external world (i.e., recognizing patterns based on external stimulation), or why an ISTP can be an excellent ballplayer (Se is collecting lots of real-time data and the Ti function is deciding whether the player should steal home, run back, how far to lead off the base, etc.)

Ni is different. Ni is internalized possibilities. Rather than trying to derive patterns from reality, it recognizes that lots of patterns exist and can switch back and forth between them. No pattern is really "true" -- there are simply different ways of looking at something, depending on the goal and situation.

In this sense, Ne is trying to find the "most true" pattern and respond/articulate it (it trusts the flow of data), while Ni is determining which pattern is most useful for the situation and distrusts the outer data stream -- no pattern has "inherent meaning."

I'm sorry, I feel like this is still very vague, but we can discuss it further and maybe find more specific examples. (Part of the reason for this site is to develop answers to questions like the ones you've asked here. :) )

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
You really need to look at the Thompson book. CAPT has a better price on it, I think, but check you library/interlibrary loan.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, well, that finally explains what I've been trying to determine. I finally see how they can both be Intuition, and one can be introverted. The thing that confused me was the fact that I was aware of possibilities in the external situation. For instance, I know that my computer mouse can be plugged into the computer and used as an interfacing device, but it could also be used as a paperweight, or thrown as a projectile. I suppose the point was my primary motivations and concerns, not the things I can perceive, right?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, well, that finally explains what I've been trying to determine. I finally see how they can both be Intuition, and one can be introverted. The thing that confused me was the fact that I was aware of possibilities in the external situation. For instance, I know that my computer mouse can be plugged into the computer and used as an interfacing device, but it could also be used as a paperweight, or thrown as a projectile. I suppose the point was my primary motivations and concerns, not the things I can perceive, right?

Well, every person has all functions. It is just that we feel comfortable with certain ones and thus spend our time developing them, and part of that process means we end up ignoring the opposite of those function(s) -- because we only have so much time, and because we are choosing to look at the world one way to the exclusion of another.

As we get older, we hopefully realize this is a weakness and sometimes we need to use the functions we've ignored, so we begin to explore other ways to view things... and thus develop our inferior and the other functions. (This is a frightening process, though, because it's like starting from scratch and we feel unsure and clumsy with these relatively unused functions... and it's so tempting to stick with the ones we HAVE developed.)

So for example, an SJ person might look at their mouse and say, "Um, it's a mouse." Because that's the mode they're in - the tangible, practical value of something. But if you instigate some brainstorming with them and they shift gears, they are very capable of using Ne and thinking of all the things it's similar to. still, they'll be "rusty" until they practice this a lot.

An NP, though, will look at that mouse and see it as a mouse, PLUS lots of other things all simultaneously. I look at mine right now and see a computer mouse and a bola and a real mouse and a grappling rope and a rip-cord and a pendulum and a clown-face (because it's all white, with red on the tip/nose where the infrared part is)... well, the list goes on and on. I'm never confused that it's really "just a mouse" and that's how I primarily use it, but I find it boring to just see a mouse and like the feeling of imagining all the patterns it fits with, giving me more ideas to think about.

So yes, you can use ANY of your functions... but you are going to usually start with a perceiving function (S or N) and a judging function (T or F), one of them used in the extroverted realm (external world) and one in the introverted realm (internal world), because we need to take in information, evaluate it, then act upon it somehow. This covers all the bases and keeps the main functions from interfering with each other.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think S's (most of them) have more trouble with this, because they focus so much on the outer behavior, and some will try to extrapolate mnotivation from too few behavioral clues. N's are more inclined to be in "pattern recognition" mode and think holistically.

I find the exact opposite to be the problem with Ns, which doesn't make it less of a problem. Too often Ns take the wrong intuitive leap, basing their prognosis on a faulty diagnosis. Ns often fail to take account of the facts of the situation, and base their framework on a tenuous foundation. The S focus on "outer behavior" is not always incorrect. If someone's sick you have to look at their symptoms. You can extropolate from there. I often find with Ns that they looked at two or three instances of something occuring and though they had all the answers (myself included). An S would look most of the instances, and the pattern they pull (which they're capable of doing), may be closer to the truth because the N failed to look long enough at the smaller things to be accurate enough.

@ Athenian: Lenore Thomson's writing are very helpful when trying to figure out your type. When I've given her book to people instead of letting them complete these stupid online tests, then there's less ambiguity about type.

All of us use all eight cognitive process. Like Jeniffer said, it's just your preferred functions that gives you your four letter type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find the exact opposite to be the problem with Ns, which doesn't make it less of a problem.

I thought of that but didn't bother to cover it... :)

Too often Ns take the wrong intuitive leap, basing their prognosis on a faulty diagnosis. Ns often fail to take account of the facts of the situation, and base their framework on a tenuous foundation. The S focus on "outer behavior" is not always incorrect. If someone's sick you have to look at their symptoms. You can extropolate from there. I often find with Ns that they looked at two or three instances of something occuring and though they had all the answers (myself included). An S would look most of the instances, and the pattern they pull (which they're capable of doing), may be closer to the truth because the N failed to look long enough at the smaller things to be accurate enough.

I don't know. It definitely happens, but I have observed it less than the scenario I described earlier. What I see is S's doing what you're crediting to N's -- because their Intuition is less developed. Immature N's also can fall prey to that impulse.

To me, N's seem more prone to coming up with reasonable interpretations and trusting them, without checking them first, and that is where they stray.... believing in the "reasonable" assumption without validation. So the diagnosis isn't a bad one -- it's just inappropriate to this particular situation. I do see that happen a lot, and I have to be careful with that myself.

S's are much more apt to come up with wild and wacky interpretations -- THAT seems to be the straying point. Their intuition is undeveloped and they do not yet have the pattern repository that mature Intuitives have developed. (Just as a silly example, I heard an S w/ little N and who is actually a nurse -- she has specialized knowledge in that field -- diagnose someone as possibly having tuberculosis (!) based on two or three generic symptoms that could have fit many less exotic conditions. And ISFJs who have Ne as an inferior are prone to extreme paranoia and bizarre interpretations of reality and behavior until they develop it.)

That's what makes sense to me, theory-wise; and it's also been my experience with S's and N types people, just as a general rule.

... or maybe I'm just extrapolating on too little information... :) it's interesting to think about...

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I've seen iNtuitives make "intuitive leaps" and figure that everyone will leap along with them.

It's a frustrating type bias to chide Sensors for not making the same intuitive leap, when not all people (type aside) share the same repertoire of experience and knowledge.

I'll agree with the "Sensors having wacky intuitive leaps" comment. I've seen some downright weird ones. Though, to be fair, my Sensor skills make me seem in left field frequently.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll agree with the "Sensors having wacky intuitive leaps" comment. I've seen some downright weird ones. Though, to be fair, my Sensor skills make me seem in left field frequently.

I will concede that... Sometimes my sensor skills can leave a lot to be desired, unless I'm actively scanning. :)

Then again, S's aren't so hot either with Sensing stuff. The spouse commonly misplaces things and *I* know where they are because I was observing or because I was the one putting things where they belonged (!)... and the kid often is standing on the thing he is looking for and never even sees it!

Sigh.

So Sensors and iNtuitives are guilty alike, for mucking up their natural [supposed] gifts.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I thought of that but didn't bother to cover it... :)

I don't know. It definitely happens, but I have observed it less than the scenario I described earlier. What I see is S's doing what you're crediting to N's -- because their Intuition is less developed. Immature N's also can fall prey to that impulse.

I'm very hesitant to make statements like this about people. Are we equating a "immature" N to a "regular" S? Just let 'em mature and they'll loop circles around an S!

To me, N's seem more prone to coming up with reasonable interpretations and trusting them, without checking them first, and that is where they stray.... believing in the "reasonable" assumption without validation. So the diagnosis isn't a bad one -- it's just inappropriate to this particular situation. I do see that happen a lot, and I have to be careful with that myself.

S's are much more apt to come up with wild and wacky interpretations -- THAT seems to be the straying point. Their intuition is undeveloped and they do not yet have the pattern repository that mature Intuitives have developed. (Just as a silly example, I heard an S w/ little N and who is actually a nurse -- she has specialized knowledge in that field -- diagnose someone as possibly having tuberculosis (!) based on two or three generic symptoms that could have fit many less exotic conditions. And ISFJs who have Ne as an inferior are prone to extreme paranoia and bizarre interpretations of reality and behavior until they develop it.)

But why do you think this is something that has to do with her S? If an N had said it would it have been more probable? I don't get when people make statements like this.

That's what makes sense to me, theory-wise; and it's also been my experience with S's and N types people, just as a general rule.

... or maybe I'm just extrapolating on too little information... :) it's interesting to think about...

;) Perhaps. Or maybe I should reconsider my type.

If you haven't noticed, I'm all about knowing how this MBTI stuff plays out in the real world. It's all fine and great to know that Si does this and Te does that, but when I interact with people, unless they are strongly S or N, they seem to grab from the whole bag. This is why I have such difficulties figuring out S or N. I see just as much correctness and error on either side.

I've never seen any definition of intuition saying that when an N sees a patter, their interpretation of what it is is usually correct. I can notice a pattern in something, but the conclusion I reach for why that pattern is can be incorrect. It has just as much of a chance of being right as it does of being wrong. Ns are just better at noticing it first, not being right first.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm very hesitant to make statements like this about people. Are we equating a "immature" N to a "regular" S? Just let 'em mature and they'll loop circles around an S!

Ouch, I'm sorry, "immature" was a bad word to use -- I didn't mean it in that [negative/hubris-loaded] context.

Is "undeveloped" better? (Or something similar?)

But why do you think this is something that has to do with her S? If an N had said it would it have been more probable? I don't get when people make statements like this.

A developed N has a:

1. Larger repository of patterns (because they collect them / think in terms of them).
2. Is usually thinking in terms of conceptualizing things or coming up with an overall concept of things.

What's that mean? It means the N has (1) more experience and (2) more practice with the skill.

This is the whole basis of function theory, isn't it? That we develop the skills we prefer, and thus get better at their use?

Let's think of it in terms of something else, let's say baseball or playing the piano. If someone likes baseball or the piano, they'll practice it. In the practicing of it, they will come across many varied situations, thus gaining a lot of experience and exposure to the field of interest. They not only learn how to do it, but what the pitfalls and problem areas are and how to deal with them.

Now: Take a developed baseball player or pianist and drop them in a performance situation with someone who did not have much interest in the sport/art, even if they have the ability but it's just undeveloped.

Is it unreasonable to say that the one who developed their skill will perform much much better than the undeveloped one?

That's where I'm coming from here...

If you haven't noticed, I'm all about knowing how this MBTI stuff plays out in the real world. It's all fine and great to know that Si does this and Te does that, but when I interact with people, unless they are strongly S or N, they seem to grab from the whole bag. This is why I have such difficulties figuring out S or N. I see just as much correctness and error on either side.

Well, that's true -- it's never 100% one or the other, I guess. But we still generally operate from one of the premises, overall. still, as people get older, they get harder to "read" I think, because they grab from the whole bag more and more often if they are developing. (Look, I can be taught -- I avoided that nasty "I" word...!)

I've never seen any definition of intuition saying that when an N sees a pattern, their interpretation of what it is is usually correct.

My logic for this is posted above...

I can notice a pattern in something, but the conclusion I reach for why that pattern is can be incorrect. It has just as much of a chance of being right as it does of being wrong. Ns are just better at noticing it first, not being right first.

Well, as part of being a "developed N," the N should be evaluating the pattern just as you are doing, based on their experience and knowledge, and "grading" them all in their mind as to what seems more reasonable and less reasonable. Developed N's are both collecting data AND throwing out less likely patterns. S's with undeveloped N's seem to have far less patterns and are much more inclined to go with something they've experienced before, just because they've experienced it. (Especially Si.)

Maybe that is the point of confusion...? Because at this stage a judging function is operating along with the intuitive function? So maybe the Judging function (F or T) now has to be considered as well... ? Possibly it's not the S/N thing completely, but the development of the judging function that determines the accurate view of the data?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Well, as part of being a "developed N," the N should be evaluating the pattern just as you are doing, based on their experience and knowledge, and "grading" them all in their mind as to what seems more reasonable and less reasonable. Developed N's are both collecting data AND throwing out less likely patterns. S's with undeveloped N's seem to have far less patterns and are much more inclined to go with something they've experienced before, just because they've experienced it. (Especially Si.)

Maybe that is the point of confusion...? Because at this stage a judging function is operating along with the intuitive function? So maybe the Judging function (F or T) now has to be considered as well... ? Possibly it's not the S/N thing completely, but the development of the judging function that determines the accurate view of the data?

Good point, but what happens when two Ns reach diametrically opposed conclusions based on what you explained above? I'm not trying to be black and white about this, but is one more correct than the other? If both are reasonable, who's vantage point do we rely on when there's really no way of proving either one? That's when I think it goes back to how well each one gathered their facts.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good point, but what happens when two Ns reach diametrically opposed conclusions based on what you explained above? I'm not trying to be black and white about this, but is one more correct than the other?

Oh, please feel free -- I had these ideas before but the conversation is forcing me to articulate them, so I am learning as we go too... :)

If both are reasonable, who's vantage point do we rely on when there's really no way of proving either one? That's when I think it goes back to how well each one gathered their facts.

Yes, that's where I would go next: Which one seems to have a more firm hold on sensor reality? Which has the better "fact collection" process? Also, would a choice have to be made, or could both viewpoints be right? (Depending on the topic.)

(Just to point it out, the questions you keep asking are typical for Ni...)

Is that what you would do? Examine the "hard data" points each has collected, or just overall make a decision based on which you think is more observant?

(Just to be ornery, the third possibility is that both iNuitives are wrong. :D)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know, I guess I can see how this theory makes sense for it's own purposes. But it doesn't define certain aspects of personality that I consider more important.

For instance, some people are very assertive, and some are passive. Some are communicative, and some are terse. Some care mostly for themselves, and some are more concerned with others. Some think verbally, and some think in pictures. Some seek meaning in things, some are just content with reality as it is.

It seems to me that many of these traits could exist in a person regardless of their personality type. My question now is, where do I find a system defines people in these terms, the really important ones?

Also, the other thing I was curious about was how obvious it is that my Judging function is Fe (Extraverted Feeling). I mean, I don't always test as a Feeling type, especially if I take a test right after finishing my schoolwork or something. The most common types I've tested as are, in order, INFJ, INTJ, ISFJ, ISTJ, and ENFJ.

The other characteristic that puzzles me is the amount of knowledge I have about my computer. If you ask most people what kind of computer they have, at worst they'll say "Dell," and at best they'll tell you the amount of RAM, and whether their processor is Intel or AMD. I would say something like this:

512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM RAM
Shuttle AN35N Ultra 400 Motherboard
Socket "A" Athlon XP 3200+
White Linkworld Case

Also, I would mention that I continue to insist on including a Floppy Drive on every computer I build, because I still have some data on floppies, want to be prepared in case I need to read someone else's 3.5 inch disks, and I wouldn't want to break the tradition, as I've had one on every computer I've ever owned.

This makes me wonder about my type, because this doesn't sound very much like Ni or Fe (unless I'm missing something?). Actually, just to make sure everyone can read this:

Ni = Introverted Intuition
Ne = Extraverted Intuition
Si = Introverted Sensation
Se = Extraverted Sensation
Fi = Introverted Feeling (Ethics)
Fe = Extraverted Feeling (Ethics)
Ti = Introverted Thinking (Logic)
Te = Extraverted Thinking (Logic)​