• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between INFP 9 and ISFJ 1?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to me that the 1 and Fe of the ISFJ may look quite similar to the 9 and Fi of the INFP.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose they could look sorta similar, with the 9 of the INFP softening it's exterior in a way that could mirror Fe and the moral rigidity of the 1 making the ISFJ look Fi-ish, but I don't think they would be hard to tell apart once you got close. The 1 qualities in the ISFJ are going to mainly be based around their Si with a strong emphasis on self-control and routine that you are unlikely to see in the INFP 9, who will be of a far more lax nature. No matter what wing the ISFJ has, they're likely going to be rather humanitarian and oriented towards helping a greater cause because of both Fe and being a 1. Not to imply that INFP 9s can't do the same, but being a 9 and Fi user gives them more of a 'live and let live' attitude when it comes to humane issues. The INFP 9 may help out or silently support a cause, but the ISFJ 1 is the type I imagine to revolve a large chunk of their life around something they passionately feel is correct as well as be a bit peeved when others have contrary ideologies. There are a handful of small differences like such, I don't think the two types would blur together easily.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
but being a 9 and Fi user gives them more of a 'live and let live' attitude when it comes to humane issues. The INFP 9 may help out or silently support a cause, but the ISFJ 1 is the type I imagine to revolve a large chunk of their life around something they passionately feel is correct as well as be a bit peeved when others have contrary ideologies. There are a handful of small differences like such, I don't think the two types would blur together easily.

@Luminous
If this is related to your type, I was going to point this out as well. I don't see your moral rigidity; you seem to put more emphasis on comfort and wellbeing over correctness (of any kind. Not saying you don't value this, but I see your first instinct being to listen and understand than judge and correct in the way a 1 would).
Also, Fe + 1 = very verbal about what they think is right, and more imposing. I've seen a more listening and accepting, Fi + 9 attitude from you.

Honestly, 9 looks a lot like Fe in general, what with the accommodating. They can't cross their own internal world, they can't cross others', so they accept and live, let live in a way that looks Fe, but is more out of passivity. Metaphorically, instead of opening the door for you, they step aside and let you open the door yourself. ISFJ 1 would open it for you because it's the right thing to do, and tell you off if you open it wrongly.

I agree with notmyapples that E1 will amplify the detail-orientedness and uprightness of Si / the J-ness in general, and will add; their 1 values will come from the outside, as well. 1 is afraid of corruption, so it will seek to do what is right; and their judgements would stem from Fe, other people's emotions, more of the common-goodness than something from Fi beliefs.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It seems to me that the 1 and Fe of the ISFJ may look quite similar to the 9 and Fi of the INFP.

Interesting because I think my brother is an ISFJ (he could be ISTJ but Ive been leaning more and more ISFJ whose 1ness makes him look ISTJ) 1w9 and I identify as an INFP 9w1

So lets compare.

My brother and I- we get along fairly well but some of the biggest issues in our relationship have been the fact that he thinks every day things need to be done a particular way. One of the most consistent arguments/problems we have goes something like this

Him: Who folded the chip bag wrong. Was it YOU?! How many times do I have to tell you that you fold it like THIS! Why cant you just do it right!

Me: Whats the big deal... its just a chip bag. Calm down.

Him: Why do you have to be so stubborn! All I am trying to do is help you so that you do it right!

Me: Well I dont want your help and I happen to like the way I folded the bag so... sorry. *walks out*

*Me and him are now annoyed at each other for an hour*

So really its generally

Fe- this is the right way to do this. Im trying to help you understand the universal right way to do this. For your own good and the good of the social system. I am trying to help you understand this because I care about you and I care about the system and I uniting you two makes things feel good and right. Why cant you appreciate this?

Fi- whichever way I feel like doing it is the right way to do this. People should be able to do things their own way. I dont want you dictate my decisions for me. The socially right way to do this doesnt matter to me, in fact, having to consider it stresses me out. I let people do what they want to do, why cant they do the same for me. I do not want your help when it comes to this and it is hard for me to remember that that is genuinely your intention- that it isnt to judge me- and once I do remember I appreciate it... but I still dont want your help.

If you arent folding the chip bag the way he thinks it should be folded, dont answer him immediately when hes speaking, dont do whatever society deems RIGHT- dont do this that or the other thing rightits wrong. And hes angry (though better lately-more laid back with the 9 wing coming into play). He used to be very particular about everything, and very very able and willing to let you know about it. Like he almost couldnt even help himself he HAD to say something.

And I get it. Im the same way. When something I feel is wrong is happening- I HAVE to say something. But is difference things I care about. Heres a good example. My mom asked me and my brother one day why we hadnt picked up the couple of dollars she had left on the table. Both of our answers were- because it wasnt mine. My mom commented about how ethical we both were and so my brother and I continued talking about it a little bit. My continued answer was something like “well yeah, stealing is wrong.” And my brothers answer was- “well of course I wouldnt steal, stealing is against the law” (or something of the like)

We both can appear similar but- where my brother follows a strict code of external ethics and rules- mine is more internal. Mine is more- if you fold the chip bag incorrectly, whatever its just chips. As long as the chips are fine, who cares how its folded. And even if they go bad because of how the bag was folded... whatever. No one is hurt. Not a big deal. But if you fold the chip bag wrong intentionally because you are trying to do some passive aggressive counter move- thats crap. Thats wrong. Your intention was to hurt someone and that is something Im not ok with. I care more about values and less about things, my brother uses things to determine his values. Neither is wrong.

And it isnt as if my brother doesnt have emotions. Or things he cares about. Things that are important to him. He is one of the most loyal people I have ever met. He values people. I value people but more... abstractly. I care about people and doing the right thing- but sometimes its harder for me to put that care into action than it is for my brother. While I might think the world of you... I probably wont think to give you a hug... while my brother... gives the best and more welcominng and sincere hugs of anyone I have ever met.

He also can be incredibly brave when it comes to the people he cares about. If someone is going something and its hurting someone he cares about- then hes done. Hes pissed off intensely on your behalf and will have to try really hard, if he bothers, not to just go off on that person. While with me- Ill probably weigh everyones side. Ill try to peacemake initially and only after something REALLY sprouts its head as wrong will I say something. For me, my brain goes- try to understand everyones point of view first- THEN ONCE I THINK I UNDERSTAND everyones point of view- do what I think is right. For my brother its the opposite- he does what he thinks is right- stands up a little too intensely for my 9 self sometimes- and THEN goes through and tries to make sure he understands what he needs to do to make everyone feel ok/what he thinks is right considering everyones perspective.

Neither is worse than the other. While sometimes I let things go on too long and feel like a coward for doing so- and beat myself up over that... sometimes my brother makes things problems that he wishes that he hadnt- and he regrets losing his temper/regrets the intensity of his tone.

So really. We are very different yet very similar at the same time. We both want to do what we think is the best thing to do- but we get there differently.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting because I think my brother is an ISFJ (he could be ISTJ but Ive been leaning more and more ISFJ whose 1ness makes him look ISTJ) 1w9 and I identify as an INFP 9w1

So lets compare.

My brother and I- we get along fairly well but some of the biggest issues in our relationship have been the fact that he thinks every day things need to be done a particular way. One of the most consistent arguments/problems we have goes something like this

Him: Who folded the chip bag wrong. Was it YOU?! How many times do I have to tell you that you fold it like THIS! Why cant you just do it right!

Me: Whats the big deal... its just a chip bag. Calm down.

Him: Why do you have to be so stubborn! All I am trying to do is help you so that you do it right!

Me: Well I dont want your help and I happen to like the way I folded the bag so... sorry. *walks out*

*Me and him are now annoyed at each other for an hour*

So really its generally

Fe- this is the right way to do this. Im trying to help you understand the universal right way to do this. For your own good and the good of the social system. I am trying to help you understand this because I care about you and I care about the system and I uniting you two makes things feel good and right. Why cant you appreciate this?

Fi- whichever way I feel like doing it is the right way to do this. People should be able to do things their own way. I dont want you dictate my decisions for me. The socially right way to do this doesnt matter to me, in fact, having to consider it stresses me out. I let people do what they want to do, why cant they do the same for me. I do not want your help when it comes to this and it is hard for me to remember that that is genuinely your intention- that it isnt to judge me- and once I do remember I appreciate it... but I still dont want your help.

If you arent folding the chip bag the way he thinks it should be folded, dont answer him immediately when hes speaking, dont do whatever society deems RIGHT- dont do this that or the other thing rightits wrong. And hes angry (though better lately-more laid back with the 9 wing coming into play). He used to be very particular about everything, and very very able and willing to let you know about it. Like he almost couldnt even help himself he HAD to say something.

And I get it. Im the same way. When something I feel is wrong is happening- I HAVE to say something. But is difference things I care about. Heres a good example. My mom asked me and my brother one day why we hadnt picked up the couple of dollars she had left on the table. Both of our answers were- because it wasnt mine. My mom commented about how ethical we both were and so my brother and I continued talking about it a little bit. My continued answer was something like “well yeah, stealing is wrong.” And my brothers answer was- “well of course I wouldnt steal, stealing is against the law” (or something of the like)

We both can appear similar but- where my brother follows a strict code of external ethics and rules- mine is more internal. Mine is more- if you fold the chip bag incorrectly, whatever its just chips. As long as the chips are fine, who cares how its folded. And even if they go bad because of how the bag was folded... whatever. No one is hurt. Not a big deal. But if you fold the chip bag wrong intentionally because you are trying to do some passive aggressive counter move- thats crap. Thats wrong. Your intention was to hurt someone and that is something Im not ok with. I care more about values and less about things, my brother uses things to determine his values. Neither is wrong.

And it isnt as if my brother doesnt have emotions. Or things he cares about. Things that are important to him. He is one of the most loyal people I have ever met. He values people. I value people but more... abstractly. I care about people and doing the right thing- but sometimes its harder for me to put that care into action than it is for my brother. While I might think the world of you... I probably wont think to give you a hug... while my brother... gives the best and more welcominng and sincere hugs of anyone I have ever met.

He also can be incredibly brave when it comes to the people he cares about. If someone is going something and its hurting someone he cares about- then hes done. Hes pissed off intensely on your behalf and will have to try really hard, if he bothers, not to just go off on that person. While with me- Ill probably weigh everyones side. Ill try to peacemake initially and only after something REALLY sprouts its head as wrong will I say something. For me, my brain goes- try to understand everyones point of view first- THEN ONCE I THINK I UNDERSTAND everyones point of view- do what I think is right. For my brother its the opposite- he does what he thinks is right- stands up a little too intensely for my 9 self sometimes- and THEN goes through and tries to make sure he understands what he needs to do to make everyone feel ok/what he thinks is right considering everyones perspective.

Neither is worse than the other. While sometimes I let things go on too long and feel like a coward for doing so- and beat myself up over that... sometimes my brother makes things problems that he wishes that he hadnt- and he regrets losing his temper/regrets the intensity of his tone.

So really. We are very different yet very similar at the same time. We both want to do what we think is the best thing to do- but we get there differently.

Your brother actually sounds like a less cold and repressed version of my little sister (ISTJ 1w9 sp/so). Wow.

Growing up she and I got into fights all the time because she was always trying to impose morality onto me and that angered me because I hate being told what to do. I don't know if it was all a war of aux Je or whatever but our mother has described both of us as controlling (with very different nuance). Even though my sister doesn't think I'm ISFJ either.

Once I was so pissed off at my sister for ignoring me (I hate being ignored) as an attempt at punishment for not doing something "right" that I punched her in the face and then we got into a fist fight during which we accidentally hurt our poor little ENFP sister who happened to be at the wrong place in the wrong time, oops.

But yeah, my sister has become more chill over the years as she's grown into her 9 wing. And similarly, I've become less of a callous little jerk and I can actually say I appreciate morals, honor, empathy, etc. now whereas I didn't care about any of that when I was younger. My sister has said I used to be Slytherin but now I'm some weird middle between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff lol. We get along pretty well as adults because we've grown toward kind of meeting in the middle. I think it also helps that we don't have to live with eachother, there's less frequency of interaction and therefore stuff that would lead to getting on eachother's nerves.

As kids though, yeah the fact that I was excessively utilitarian and she was so moralistic definitely made us clash. I don't think it helped that I was essentially the evil problem child to her perfect good girl growing up, it made me resent her more for a while. Until she kept my secrets against her "code" then I grew to like her and now I would definitely do anything for her. Morally superior tone and disposition aside, she's always been very loyal and protective of our younger siblings, like you mention your brother also is toward people and I've always liked that about her. Also, that she stands by her values and ideals no matter what. It's admirable.

Anway, I still don't get along with 1's lol. But my sister is the exception.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, in general, but also N and S factor into that. S Fe folks, sure, key off a concrete universal system; N Fe folks are more flexible about worldly systems because they're keying into an abstracted sense of right or wrong. It's not necessarily about the actual "law," it can involve universal law that they believe operates above the potentially flawed social law.

The same goes for Fi, the N version tends to broaden the Fi and it appeals to some kind of BROAD individual morality, whereas the S Fi is more focused on what is good for the specific self. This doesn't mean either is necessarily selfish, it's just that one tends to extrapolate out to all individuals versus focusing on personal "rightness" for the individual self. (I don't really know how to articulate it better, I'm not happy with my wording here.)

Right, although again N and S will influence the presentation. it's like layers of abstraction vs concreteness. Extraverted functions are going to be anchored in a bit more tangibility in how they are thought about (they are "objective" in the literal sense), introverted functions are subjective because they spawn from internal factors. One things more in terms of literal expressions of intention, the other is fuzzier and about positioning or viewpoint.

You can see the inherent influences too in how the Fi contributes to a P approach, the Fe contributes to a J approach.

Yeah, the motivations are a bit different and it can also lead into different expressions, even if a lot of the result can sometimes look the same.

The instinctive triad seems geared towards others or at least how power/autonomy is wielded. Eights find it easiest to be decisive, they aim power/control at the external world; Nines seem to use their power/control on only themselves, in order to keep the rest of the world around them stable, they want to remain at rest; Ones seem to be a mix, they have strong opinions / a strong vision about how the world should be but can become frustrated that they don't have control over others, they seem to wrestle between trying to control and not wanting to impose, which can place them and others in turmoil. So you can sometimes end up getting passive-aggression or someone who looks okay on the surface while inside they are extremely conflicted and angry.

I'm a T, not an F, but I do have a pretty heavy Nine as part of my triad. I found a lot in common in ISFJ E1 types -- I could WORK with them easily, grasped them, felt some level of kinship-- even while the more judgmental ones really could irk me. Because I was looking for real synthesis and reconciliation (not just wanting to be at peace, but really wanting everything to be truly mesh)... while intense ISFJ One's could be very judgmental (inside, but it exudes itself) because they would emotionally manipulate those around them to get things how THEY wanted and/or what they were taught was the "right way to do things" while pretending to be polite and wanting to make peace. I guess that's kind of a tangent here, but it does show how there can be alignment of goals and you can work towards the same things, while having different underlying motivations and perceptions. (To be fair and criticize myself, sometimes Nine can be very self-serving, wanting to just make life easier without having larger non-self-directed goals in mind to drive that. One thing I personally had to learn in adulthood was that it was okay to hold a strong opinion and push for change / create instability when it needed to happen, rather than just taking the easy way out.)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, in general, but also N and S factor into that. S Fe folks, sure, key off a concrete universal system; N Fe folks are more flexible about worldly systems because they're keying into an abstracted sense of right or wrong. It's not necessarily about the actual "law," it can involve universal law that they believe operates above the potentially flawed social law.

Right. I have an INFJ 417 cousin and shes quite a bit different than my brother- but the really interesting thing is... he strongly strongly connects to her. He told me that he almost feels that when he sees her that shes like another sister to him. They connect in the way that they both- have fairly concrete ideas about what is right and what is wrong- and even though these ideas seem to be based on entirely different things- they communicate them similarly. Like. My cousin has been a vegan or vegetarian for most of her life. That is very important to her and shes very loud spoken about it - not to the point of being obnoxious BUT if you know her you WILL know shes vegan one of the first things. She actively makes that a part of her and it permeates pretty much into her being. Shes outspoken about her beliefs- always- consistently- and not in the same way I am. Usually I am very live and let live unless something comes up and sticks me hard- until I HAVE to say something- this isnt the case with 1 influenced IXFJs usually. Especially I think the young ones. Usually... they just are what they are- they are much more externally consistent than I am.

When my beliefs get challenged its like I have been struck my lightening. Everything in me goes into THAT moment- and what I believe comes pouring out of me very strongly. With my brother and my cousin- its like they run off their own electricity. It might be a bit lower powered than my lightening charge- but it touches everything that they do. They run at like a 7 when it comes to intensity like... all the time. I run at like a 3 or a 4 most of the time but then occasionally get charged to 11. My values are always there- under the surface- and there are things that will always set them off- but I dont always have the power to choose... to what extent I show it- like my brother and cousin do.

The same goes for Fi, the N version tends to broaden the Fi and it appeals to some kind of BROAD individual morality, whereas the S Fi is more focused on what is good for the specific self. This doesn't mean either is necessarily selfish, it's just that one tends to extrapolate out to all individuals versus focusing on personal "rightness" for the individual self. (I don't really know how to articulate it better, I'm not happy with my wording here.)

Right yes. Its part of why... I think ISFPs often have a greater sense of identity than INFPs do- especially when young. Both types strongly want to understand who they are at core, but I think INFPs... well... they have less to grab from and often times what they do grab from at a young age is considered... inappropriate or odd. ISFPs have this ability where- they... take things around them... and they identfy with those things. They have more concrete things to merge with- if they are interested in a band- they take that band and they absorb themselves into it- take on all the qualities of that band- put pretty much their entire soul into exploring that band and what it means to understand who they are and why that band means so much to them. With INFPs... we arent really attracted to... things... often. I mean. I remember when I was little I couldnt understand WHY everyone would like... have favorites of things. Care enough to have favorites of things. Favorite bands meant nothing to me. Certain tv shows I enjoyed for entertainment value but never really overly identified with anything in them- clothes meant nothing to me- just another THING I had to pretend to care about- if it wasnt interactive in some way- I probably didnt care- even when I would try because I was afraid I was missing out on something. ISFPs could always seem to make objects into something more- objects just never felt like anything but objects to me.

Right, although again N and S will influence the presentation. it's like layers of abstraction vs concreteness. Extraverted functions are going to be anchored in a bit more tangibility in how they are thought about (they are "objective" in the literal sense), introverted functions are subjective because they spawn from internal factors. One things more in terms of literal expressions of intention, the other is fuzzier and about positioning or viewpoint.

You can see the inherent influences too in how the Fi contributes to a P approach, the Fe contributes to a J approach.

Yeah, the motivations are a bit different and it can also lead into different expressions, even if a lot of the result can sometimes look the same.

The instinctive triad seems geared towards others or at least how power/autonomy is wielded. Eights find it easiest to be decisive, they aim power/control at the external world; Nines seem to use their power/control on only themselves, in order to keep the rest of the world around them stable, they want to remain at rest; Ones seem to be a mix, they have strong opinions / a strong vision about how the world should be but can become frustrated that they don't have control over others, they seem to wrestle between trying to control and not wanting to impose, which can place them and others in turmoil. So you can sometimes end up getting passive-aggression or someone who looks okay on the surface while inside they are extremely conflicted and angry.

One thing I have found too is that- often it seems as if the 1 type is a lot harder on others than they are themselves... but that this actually isnt the case if you get to know them. They tend to have a hard time admitting to others that they might have done something wrong- but I truly think that is only because it is SO important to them- its their number one fear... not being what they believe they should be- that asking them to admit that they were wrong is like asking a 9 to go into a group of people/to someone they care about- and deliberately try to start a fight about something they hold dear.

For me, Ive never had any issue admitting Ive made a mistake. To myself, and to others. Sometimes I dont like admitting it- but if I feel I need to do it- if I feel guilty enough about it- I will swallow my pride and just let it out. But if you were to ask me- hey- that person over there- go disrupt their day and their harmony by asserting your deepest desires- Id have a real issue with that. It would make me feel very vulnerable. And not for altruistic reasons like- because i dont want to upset someone (which is part of it but not all of it) but because I would be afraid of the confrontation because I might end up with confirmation that my desires DONT matter. I would feel like I didnt matter. And thats I think the 9s fear. That they do not matter- that they can only matter to themselves. 1s greatest fear I think is that- if they arent this- then they dont deserve to matter. 9s build their sense of self inwards- and feel vulnerable asserting that sense of self externally- 1s build outwards in order to protect/control any threat to that inner sense of self.

I'm a T, not an F, but I do have a pretty heavy Nine as part of my triad. I found a lot in common in ISFJ E1 types -- I could WORK with them easily, grasped them, felt some level of kinship-- even while the more judgmental ones really could irk me. Because I was looking for real synthesis and reconciliation (not just wanting to be at peace, but really wanting everything to be truly mesh)... while intense ISFJ One's could be very judgmental (inside, but it exudes itself) because they would emotionally manipulate those around them to get things how THEY wanted and/or what they were taught was the "right way to do things" while pretending to be polite and wanting to make peace. I guess that's kind of a tangent here, but it does show how there can be alignment of goals and you can work towards the same things, while having different underlying motivations and perceptions. (To be fair and criticize myself, sometimes Nine can be very self-serving, wanting to just make life easier without having larger non-self-directed goals in mind to drive that. One thing I personally had to learn in adulthood was that it was okay to hold a strong opinion and push for change / create instability when it needed to happen, rather than just taking the easy way out.)

Right yes. Thats the thing- the self serving thing. To 9s- I think things can matter so intensely to them that they really struggle to admit to both themselves and others that that is the case. But it weighs them down. They cannot always act on their values because of that... well like I mentioned before- that occasional electrical charge. Its frightening to them because it reminds them of the fact that things DO matter to them- and to couple that understanding that SOMETHING matters to them with the fear that they themselves dont matter- well- its exhausting and it throws that person into some sort of sense of... dissonance? A sense of- but what if it isnt enough? What if, even whatever happens with this thing I care about is over- what if I am still- deep down- nothing. And so- they run away from things they care about externally because they just dont want to know the answer to that question. They are terrified of it.

Anyways. Im sorry I got really off track here. It might be a bit hard to follow. But its been a while since Ive really talked about type so this was fun.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As someone with a INFP 9w1 SO and an ISFJ 1w2 mom, I'd say their 'starting points' are from completely different universes.

But, regarding the question, I think gender plays a huge role and the harmony-seeking nature of Fi 9 seems to go naturally with what is considered 'female' qualities that ISFJ 1s have, so on the surface they can look quite similar.

Metis

Based on two specific people I know, a brother and a sister. It might not be much help, being my observations of only two particular people I know well:

The INFP 9 feels more "floopy", gets on flights of fancy, and imagines things to be as he wants them to be.

The ISFJ 1 (his sister) feels more solid, tries very hard to make her home beautiful, is extremely attentive to being hospitable (it's cultural, but she's more focused and better at it than the rest of her family), and can be very optimistic but doesn't tend to fool herself about things in the face of experience & evidence. Usually.

Oh, wait, I forgot. She's a 2.

Is that close enough?