• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type/function would correspond to being misdiagnosed with ADD?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Clearly, there exists multiple cases of misdiagnosed ADD, partly because laziness is becoming more evident in our society...For instance, obesity increasing --> increased inflammation--> reduced circulation --> less oxygen to brain-->less energy-->less motivation. The academic system is becoming easier over time with grade inflation and technological advance. We can easily resort to calculator's, which causes the mind to become inefficient at simple calculation. We can utilize google maps or GPS, which causes the mind to become inefficient at basic spatial awareness. Technology is very beneficial to minimize the time needed to perform a task, however, over reliance is negative....Going toward any extreme will result in negative consequences. i.e:..Studying too much can actually lead to lower grades due to the law of diminishing returns, potential induced stress, and overexerting the mind.....The mind needs rest....hence, intermittent studying (studying followed by breaks in between intervals) is ideal IMO. There's more people within our environment at one given time relative to the past....hence, more distractions exist, which is especially true with cell phone/social media use. From what I've observed, people with divergent thinking tend to struggle the most within an academic environment. Since extroverted intuition is proportional to divergence, it will follow that Ne is related to ADD (higher NE --> higher incidence of ADD). I think other functions are clearly proportional to ADD, one of which would be Ni. Someone with strong Ni will see the big picture in the midst of all the details, which will inevitably cause their grades to suffer. Also, Ni is polar to Se, which implies lack of focus on the external environment...Thus, someone with strong Ni may be misdiagnosed with ADD to redirect their external energy. However, as Ni is a convergent function, the likelihood of higher success in academics is higher relative to someone with higher Ne (divergence). Divergent thinking requires more energy to yield the same result. That is, more paths need to be taken in order to reach the destination. I think Si would be great at adapting to an academic environment because it requires one to focus on details and follow the system. Someone with high Se may also be prone for being misdiagnosed since it's very difficult to confine their energy within a room with lack of physical activity. Since Se and Ne look outward, it makes sense that these two functions would yield the most difficulty with keeping their thoughts in singularity. The thinking/feeling functions are highly dependent upon the field of study, so there's not as much correlation.....A feeler in advanced Mathematics will have a higher propensity to drift than a strong thinker and conversely....
Further, contentiousness is another component that has a significant inverse relationship to ADD. So, which functions do you believe relate most with ADD, presumably misdiagnosed cases?

Lark

If I follow your post correctly you've given a number of reasons why ADD is misdiagnosed in your opinion and then asked what MBTI cognitive set would appear to resemble ADD the most?

Those could be considered different topics, is the idea that you are considering an alternative explanation for personality traits to a diagnosis of ADD? Such as an MBTI typing?

Its just as I understand it those are not simply different schools of thought, such as, say enneagram, socionics and MBTI but different disciplines.

ADD relates to medical pathology, as I understand it, while typology is a different thing altogether. I dont think that typology is pseudo-science but its not the same as medicine or psychiatry.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
If entertaining the idea that functions possess enough credibility for this...Ne for ADD, and Se for ADHD.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
If I follow your post correctly you've given a number of reasons why ADD is misdiagnosed in your opinion and then asked what MBTI cognitive set would appear to resemble ADD the most?

Those could be considered different topics, is the idea that you are considering an alternative explanation for personality traits to a diagnosis of ADD? Such as an MBTI typing?

Its just as I understand it those are not simply different schools of thought, such as, say enneagram, socionics and MBTI but different disciplines.

ADD relates to medical pathology, as I understand it, while typology is a different thing altogether. I dont think that typology is pseudo-science but its not the same as medicine or psychiatry.
Yes, there would exist no relation between MBTI type and actual diagnoses of ADD....for it is caused by a malfunction in the receptivity of dopamine, which permits lack of motivation...There's many things that could initiate inattentiveness (stress, alcohol, excessive medication, thyroid disorders, exc)... The main point I was trying to make was that MISDIAGNOSED cases of ADD would be related to MBTI functions, not Pathological cases.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
If entertaining the idea that functions possess enough credibility for this...Ne for ADD, and Se for ADHD.

Hence, those with high Se exhibit higher metabolisms relative to high Ne....jk....I see Ne and Se analogous to breaking the rack in billiards, hence, both will exhibit accelerated energy for differing reasons.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For ADD, Ne - specifically INFPs

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
For ADD, Ne - specifically INFPs

Yes, that is definitely true in my experience...My INFP friend is always questioning whether he has ADD and wants to use adderall to focus on studying. I told him it's because he is a highly creative (especially with music) divergent thinker, which permits the mind to wonder in outer space (away from reality). Of course, these types need constant stimulation of new ideas/situations...otherwise, depression could set in, which will lead to brain fog and mimic ADD. Further, it can be hard for INFP's (esp males) to fit in with society due to their thinking style, which is not prominent. So, they will reside longer in their internal world, which makes it more difficult to adapt to situations in which they have to turn off the switch.

rav3n

Se and Ne dom might correlate with ADHD. Se and Ne aux might correlate with ADD.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Se and Ne dom might correlate with ADHD. Se and Ne aux might correlate with ADD.

I think with technological advance (= more stimulus for Ne/SE users), there is a higher propensity for ADD, but it can be controlled. Being saturated with video games, gadgets, cell phones, social media at a young age will cause one to become painstakingly bored in an academic setting.

rav3n

I think with technological advance (= more stimulus for Ne/SE users), there is a higher propensity for ADD, but it can be controlled. Being saturated with video games, gadgets, cell phones, social media at a young age will cause one to become painstakingly bored in an academic setting.
If you consider function theory, the dom function is the driver. This translates to Ne and Se in the dom position as driver and since they're extraverted functions, they'll seek dopamine in their environment with nothing to rein them in, hence ADHD. When Ne and Se are in the aux position, Ti and Fi are the drivers, both introverted functions. This translates to internal seeking of dopamine, hence inattentiveness towards the external world (ADD). Regardless of technology or not, ADHD won't flip to ADD or the reverse.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
If you consider function theory, the dom function is the driver. This translates to Ne and Se in the dom position as driver and since they're extraverted functions, they'll seek dopamine in their environment with nothing to rein them in, hence ADHD. When Ne and Se are in the aux position, Ti and Fi are the drivers, both introverted functions. This translates to internal seeking of dopamine, hence inattentiveness towards the external world (ADD). Regardless of technology or not, ADHD won't flip to ADD or the reverse.

Yeah that makes sense...I was trying to make the relation between Ne/Se and reliance on dopamine recharge in some of my other posts....you basically nailed the point with the internal-external connection with add-adhd