• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function is able to make predictions well?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I've always enjoyed searching for patterns, whether it be in Mathematics, Psychology, Physiology, exc. I wrote a book called "Modern Adaptation," which is based on how we will adapt to future technological advance. I wrote the following in reference to the communication gap present between generations..." Hypothetically speaking, suppose we are introduced in an entirely new generation ahead of our time at an early stage in our life." Then our identity would be molded in such a way that any environmental influence would mask our previous identity. Also, suppose that the change between generations was so great that daily activities are distinct. Since transportation is more advanced over time, our area of observation is larger and more complicated from the viewpoint of the future generation. Thus, our worldly viewpoint in respect to the future generation will not coincide with the past generation, which means a communication gap will exist."Basically, within the book, I tried to extrapolate from current trends to predict the effect of a transient change in environment on human interaction, exc. Also, there's some female at work who I haven't associated with much. I've observed her behavioral patterns and tried to predict her career choice. I asked someone whether she was an "accountant", and his reply was "yes, but how did you know?" I mainly figured it out by understanding the environmental effect of being an accountant on behavior traits. I tend to believe that I have dominant Si, although, I am oblivious to my environment. It seems a fair attention to detail is required to make certain predictions. If I do use intuition, it occurs in an "aha moment." For instance, I was travelling to some location for work and had to pull an all nighter...I noticed that I started getting very tired around a specific time. I kept working and become more fatigued until eventually it waned off around the time I typically wake up... It then hit me that my body was trying to force myself to sleep due to adapting to my sleeping patterns, which would keep me within an equilibrium state....meaning my body resisted the need to readjust to new circumstances, which would throw it off.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni. What you described about your coworker is also Ni.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni and Ne.

I think Ne is better at predicting things in the short term and Ni is better at predicting things in the long run.

Using myself as an example, I predicted mobile phones will have serious problems with malware fifteen years ago. Sooner or later it will happen. I'm not as good at predicting when things will happen.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Ni and Ne.

I think Ne is better at predicting things in the short term and Ni is better at predicting things in the long run.

Using myself as an example, I predicted mobile phones will have serious problems with malware fifteen years ago. Sooner or later it will happen. I'm not as good at predicting when things will happen.

I have an ENTJ friend who has a remarkable ability to predict where actions x1,x2,....,xn will direct him. Then he assumes which case is most likely to lead to success. it's analogous to a chess game where you need to decide the best move out of all the possible options within the mind. I can make predictions in movies like if someone will die or a conceptual prediction relating to research (how the data will look before it is acquired). I rely on this when writing technical reports for research,however, my issue is not providing references. I tend to infer everything from the results alone, which results in a lower quality paper since reviewers need validation. Now, someone who uses Ni or Ne for creative outlets requires the constant flux of ideas, concepts, exc to stimulate their well-being as a consequence of the Coolidge Effect. Therefore, it is likely that those with higher Ni/Ne will have more suppression in neurotransmitter output as there is a connection between the two. Hence, constant stimulus is necessary.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have an ENTJ friend who has a remarkable ability to predict where actions x1,x2,....,xn will direct him. Then he assumes which case is most likely to lead to success. it's analogous to a chess game where you need to decide the best move out of all the possible options within the mind. I can make predictions in movies like if someone will die or a conceptual prediction relating to research (how the data will look before it is acquired). I rely on this when writing technical reports for research,however, my issue is not providing references. I tend to infer everything from the results alone, which results in a lower quality paper since reviewers need validation. Now, someone who uses Ni or Ne for creative outlets requires the constant flux of ideas, concepts, exc to stimulate their well-being as a consequence of the Coolidge Effect. Therefore, it is likely that those with higher Ni/Ne will have more suppression in neurotransmitter output as there is a connection between the two. Hence, constant stimulus is necessary.

My brain is partially dead atm from a long day’s work so I’m not sure what you said before the bolded part, but I do have ADHD and find that I absolutely need that constant external stimulation, while I also use Ne frequently for creative pursuits. I actually work in a creative industry in fact :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have wondered which is more useful - Ne or Ni from a prediction standpoint. I think ENTPs for example can be extremely gifted at seizing opportunities from an entrepreneurial standpoint because they see all those dots connecting and it's a bit more connected to reality than Ni doms.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I have wondered which is more useful - Ne or Ni from a prediction standpoint. I think ENTPs for example can be extremely gifted at seizing opportunities from an entrepreneurial standpoint because they see all those dots connecting and it's a bit more connected to reality than Ni doms.

To me, the main distinction between 1st and 2nd order Ne is their affinity for a particular path. If Ne represents a path, then each road will split into multiple paths....the more interesting the path, the higher the affinity/attraction toward it. Hence, 1st order Ne is a short fused function. On the other hand, 2nd order Ne will be influenced by the dominant function, say Ti (INTP). There will still exists branching from each path, however, the branches will be less extensive and each path will be longer (because Ti facilitates the development of an idea through a mental framework). Ni can be a more complicated function to understand...For one, someone who uses Ni in 1st or 2nd order ponders/thinks deeply about hidden meanings or tries to tackle a concept to its core. Over time, the subconscious mind holds compiles these thoughts until enough information has been gathered to create an instantaneous firing of neurons, which propagates one to arrive at a conclusion without considering the necessary steps. The steps were already brewing over time until peak saturation, where the underlying concept coalesces as a whole in the midst of each element. Thus, Ni users have potential to make predictions of events given that they have accumulated enough external data for the mind to reach the point of saturation. Ne is a rapid firing function that is constantly making connections on the go, however, it won't delve as deep as Ni.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Any function can predict things if done right.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Ni foresees the implications of an event. They can pretty much forecast what happens next.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking. This is Thinking.

Due to the processes outlined in the OP being completely within the realm of reason - this can not be intuition. Can people please stop screwing this up, it's embarrassing and it's been going on for far too long.
Hypothesizing in the fashion in the OP is Thinking. It is thought. It is imagining a situation, and thinking up (literally) possible outcomes in the first instance, and in the second instance with guessing the profession of the accountant, it is based on observing a persons behaviour (Sensation) and again, Thinking about what is a most likely outcome.

None of this is intuition. Intuition is irrational. It is simply perception. It is looking at someone and just knowing they are an accountant, without having any idea of how you know, you just "know". It is not observing them for however long (perceiving sensory facts) and hypothesizing on what their profession might be after also spending time "understanding the environmental effect" being an accountant has on behavioural traits. Even if this was a guess - even if the OP did not study the behaviour of accountants, and simply imagined, or thought up, how they think an accountant might behave - this is STILL Thinking. Let there be no doubt, this is Thinking. It is thought.

People suggesting intuition here, stop, please at least try to understand the functions before posting on internet forums.
Completely embarrassing to see intuition suggested here, when such a clear example of Thinking (supported by Sensation!) is present.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Thinking. This is Thinking. Due to the processes outlined in the OP being completely within the realm of reason - this can not be intuition. Can people please stop screwing this up, it's embarrassing and it's been going on for far too long. Hypothesizing in the fashion in the OP is Thinking. It is thought. It is imagining a situation, and thinking up (literally) possible outcomes in the first instance, and in the second instance with guessing the profession of the accountant, it is based on observing a persons behaviour (Sensation) and again, Thinking about what is a most likely outcome. None of this is intuition. Intuition is irrational. It is simply perception. It is looking at someone and just knowing they are an accountant, without having any idea of how you know, you just "know". It is not observing them for however long (perceiving sensory facts) and hypothesizing on what their profession might be after also spending time "understanding the environmental effect" being an accountant has on behavioural traits. Even if this was a guess - even if the OP did not study the behaviour of accountants, and simply imagined, or thought up, how they think an accountant might behave - this is STILL Thinking. Let there be no doubt, this is Thinking. It is thought. People suggesting intuition here, stop, please at least try to understand the functions before posting on internet forums. Completely embarrassing to see intuition suggested here, when such a clear example of Thinking (supported by Sensation!) is present.
I agree. Intuition, especially introverted, tends to be difficult to grasp because most don't use it as often. Intuition, however, does require sensation preceeding the event at which the insight is generated via the subconcious. The inward direction of mental energy is a requisite for introverted intuition. That is, a repository of meaning/relations can be formulated at higher frequency over time if energy is invested internally for that purpose. One of my strengths is pattern recognition, which is why I enjoyed creating math theories and formulas, however, I have low attention to specific details. So, I was able to predict her career type via external patterns derived from environment. Sensation is essentially a pre-requisite for the derivation of intuition and as you know, everyone uses intuition. The reason the output is unknown to the individual who utilizes intuition is because the sensory input (generalized) over time is continually being processed internally til the saturation point is reached. This saturation point encompasses multiple sensory inputs over time hence, it is extremely difficult to pinpoint where it was derived. Intuition is not very hard to understand. There is a thought pattern in relation to those who use it often and those who rely on sensory pleasure/experience. Introverted intuition is a function of the ability to recognize implications and search deeply for meaning/relations through an evolved thought process. The mind is constantly active and hence, conscious thought will feed intuition under the correct circumstances. Conversely, the polar function (Se) would lead to the propensity to discard these attributes.

My awareness to the environment is also hindered because i am always searching inward in my mind, which causes me to zone out often. I'm not sure of my exact type, although I could be Se secondary. My dominant function is likely introverted and over developed (Ti?), hence, zoning out. The only contradiction to this claim is that I rarely think of "sex" like most men in their 20's. I also do not care for aesthetics or appearance in general, and I am a minimalist. So, perhaps I utilize Si.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Ni and Ne.

Better yet, Ne and Ni working together. The divergence of Ne and convergence of Ni in any situation allow drawing pretty accurate maps of the behavior of any complicated system. Granted, if both know what they're doing.

Most of my A-ha! moments were when I was in the company of a shrewd NP intuiting and sensing seemingly unrelated probabilities.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Better yet, Ne and Ni working together. The divergence of Ne and convergence of Ni in any situation allow drawing pretty accurate maps of the behavior of any complicated system. Granted, if both know what they're doing.

Most of my A-ha! moments were when I was in the company of a shrewd NP intuiting and sensing seemingly unrelated probabilities.

I also tend to get "A-ha" moments after periods of contemplation or attempting to solve a complicated problem. The answer will arrive at random moments, but clearly it's due to a connected stream of past inputs. Ni users are adept at soaking in environmental input in a generalized view to derive a broader framework whereas Se users are adept at soaking environmental input in a specific view to derive maximum pleasure. Both are selective at doing so, but for different reasons. Now, there exists a tolerance level according to the adaptation process through time. By getting accustomed to some input, the end product (output) will eventually become less sensitive in respect to the initial effect once adaptation is satisfied. For this reason, Ni users tend to be highly sensitive to sensory input because a tolerance limit is less likely to be attained. Because Ni is a function that projects forward, the propensity to predict outcomes is more likely. This ensures events will align according to the intended goal, which is facilitated by the adaptation to changes in time.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think the two together can be really powerful.