• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Physical traits and MBTI

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this thread is mostly for fun, not a very scientific one though:D. from your personal observations, have you ever noticed a certain MBTI type sharing the same physical features, posture, or weirdly, common illnesses (not psychological).

i especially found some types to be extremely thin since childhood and others more prone for weight gain. or certain postural patterns like hunch back or forward neck.

or any kind of feature that makes you doubt that this person`s type migh be xxxx. most likely, these features would be related with cognitive functions, as we know.(of your into that side of typing)

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i noticed that most INFJs i know have suffered from, or were prone to, hunch back.

ESTJs and INFJs are almost very thin as children and adults.

ENFJs are more prone to forward neck. even before phones were so common. and more prone to stress-eating as well as ISFJs.
one thing i know for sure, most types are prone to stress eating.
do you relate to any of these, whatever your type is?

and i`m not sure about this, but do INTPs go thinner if stressed out?

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I notice certain movements in the face or such can be correlated with type, but I'm unsure about actual physical features.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I notice certain movements in the face or such can be correlated with type, but I'm unsure about actual physical features.

can you put simply some examples? like e.g i can recognize a pattern that apply to most INFP through mouth shape and way of movement, it might be weird but very true. everyone who had that pattern was a INFP.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I'm sure those with dominant Ne will have accelerated eye movement as their mind is firing from idea to the next.... ESTJ/INTJ tend to have a stoic look, which is indicative of repressed Fi. Physical features are a function of embryonic hormone output and genetics....testosterone is linked with lack of empathy in excess (aspergers/autism), which can manifest with higher order thinking/pattern recognition abilities. Estrogen is linked with empathy, but it gets interesting with the variance of personality traits of each parent passed onto their children. For this reason, there will be a weak correlation with physical features and personality traits. The same is true with grades and intellect...Some people tend to believe grades imply intellect, yet clearly a scattered relation exists. For instance, suppose a subset of the population with the same intellect is selected. Define a function such that the x axis denotes time, y axis = condition y1, y2,..., yn. and z axis = grades (%). Now, there will exist a direct relationship between effort and grades. But what if we apply a negative condition to the subset that is applied to the y axis such as ADD, depression, degree of conscientiousness, exc. Then it is clearly evident that as the severity of each condition increases (down the y axis), grades will decline rapidly. If you connect all the possible functions in respect to all possible negative conditions, it will be shown that there is a scattered relationship....meaning no correlation if at all. Also, my INFJ brother happens to be very "thin," mainly because he is not in tune with eating habits, and is especially reliant on fast food.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
can you put simply some examples? like e.g i can recognize a pattern that apply to most INFP through mouth shape and way of movement, it might be weird but very true. everyone who had that pattern was a INFP.

Some people believe visual typing is accurate and some don't, but if you look online you can find video examples and explanations of it, mostly having to do with eye and facial movement. Mouth shape could have to do with Fi/Fe, as the theory goes that wide-stretching and more symmetrical smiles are correlated with Fe and upwards-stretching and kinda snarly looking smiles are correlated with Fi. Fi users typically have more visually recognizable laugh lines as their smiles create apparent mouth lines, hence the correlation with the appearance of a snarl as screwing your face into a snarl-like expression pulls the same muscles around the mouth.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some people believe visual typing is accurate and some don't, but if you look online you can find video examples and explanations of it, mostly having to do with eye and facial movement.
Well I do believe visual typing is accurate. But this is not visual typing thread for real, it about non scientific observations.
For me I type people subconsciously but there are few types I know them 100% by the face and expressions. Like INFP INFJ INTJ fr example.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure those with dominant Ne will have accelerated eye movement as their mind is firing from idea to the next.... ESTJ/INTJ tend to have a stoic look, which is indicative of repressed Fi. Physical features are a function of embryonic hormone output and genetics....testosterone is linked with lack of empathy in excess (aspergers/autism), which can manifest with higher order thinking/pattern recognition abilities. Estrogen is linked with empathy, but it gets interesting with the variance of personality traits of each parent passed onto their children. For this reason, there will be a weak correlation with physical features and personality traits.

interesting...I have noticed that too but didn`t think it was a serious connection.

The same is true with grades and intellect...Some people tend to believe grades imply intellect, yet clearly a scattered relation exists. For instance, suppose a subset of the population with the same intellect is selected. Define a function such that the x axis denotes time, y axis = condition y1, y2,..., yn. and z axis = grades (%). Now, there will exist a direct relationship between effort and grades. But what if we apply a negative condition to the subset that is applied to the y axis such as ADD, depression, degree of conscientiousness, exc. Then it is clearly evident that as the severity of each condition increases (down the y axis), grades will decline rapidly. If you connect all the possible functions in respect to all possible negative conditions, it will be shown that there is a scattered relationship....meaning no correlation if at all. Also, my INFJ brother happens to be very "thin," mainly because he is not in tune with eating habits, and is especially reliant on fast food.

I`m not sure I understood anything of this half of your post. can you tell me what part of typology you were talking about, I would be interested t search for it.

and I know this is out of the blue, but, are you INTJ? your post gives such aura:D

Also, my INFJ brother happens to be very "thin," mainly because he is not in tune with eating habits, and is especially reliant on fast food.
yes that`s what I meant. INFJ (all the one I`ve ever seen) have a habit as picky eaters and prefer to eat unhealthy all the time if you let them do what they want. same with most ESTJ they are picky eaters and like to try every restaurant in the place, but they are more sensible in that than INFJ.

though I`m not generalizing. it a matter of personal observation through a sample of people from the same MBTI. approximately or more 20 person.

p.s: you can use some paragraphing in your post.:)it`s hard to concentrate and keep losing the line.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I`m not sure I understood anything of this half of your post. can you tell me what part of typology you were talking about, I would be interested t search for it.

and I know this is out of the blue, but, are you INTJ? your post gives such aura:D

-->I wasn't talking about a specific subset of typology, but I was trying to bridge the claim that there is a weak correlation, if any between physical features and MBTI functions. There is, however, correlation between certain expressions and functions....Types that contemplate often and internalize their thoughts tend to consume energy within, which most likely manifests as the projection of less outward energy (enthusiasm, exc). Conversely, types that actively seek external influence will outwardly project their energy in an expressive form. Further, externalized emotion will yield more variation in facial contraction, which can alter facial muscles over time (tension/ease).

-->I always get INTP if considering the questionnaire, yet I always question my type....A few of my weaknesses, however, are poor attention to details, lack of awareness to environment, uneasiness within large crowds, and constant misplacement of items....

yes that`s what I meant. INFJ (all the one I`ve ever seen) have a habit as picky eaters and prefer to eat unhealthy all the time if you let them do what they want. same with most ESTJ they are picky eaters and like to try every restaurant in the place, but they are more sensible in that than INFJ.

-->You're observation definitely holds with my brother (INFJ) who is a very picky eater and is careless in terms of health. I do believe fast food is a consequence because the taste buds adapt to extremes (high salt, high sugar, exc), which in turn causes a negative reaction to foods tending towards the other extreme.

though I`m not generalizing. it a matter of personal observation through a sample of people from the same MBTI. approximately or more 20 person.

p.s: you can use some paragraphing in your post.:)it`s hard to concentrate and keep losing the line.[/QUOTE]

rav3n

Since this thread isn't about anything official or proven, have you ever seen this somatype chart? My body type is ecto-meso which is a close enough to fit. All the INTPs that I've been involved with, past and present, are ectos.

mbti2014.jpg

Here are the three official body types.

220px-Bodytypes.jpg

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Since this thread isn't about anything official or proven, have you ever seen this somatype chart? My body type is ecto-meso which is a close enough to fit. All the INTPs that I've been involved with, past and present, are ectos.

mbti2014.jpg

220px-Bodytypes.jpg

Perhaps the brain of an INTP consumes more glycogen, which increases the quantity of carbohydrates required to go beyond the thresh-hold of glycogen storage....Therefore, there is less likelihood of storing fat. Yet INTP's tend to be less likely to delve into physical activity, which implies less muscle-->less glycogen needed for muscle repair--> higher propensity for fat storage (relative to physically active case....Se user). Maybe, internalized thoughts causes a lack of awareness of time flow, which would cause an INTP to exhibit a sporadic eating schedule (gap between meals is not consistent)...This, in combination of Ne and lower Si would yield a larger gap between meals (-->distraction)....which in turn leads to less overall caloric intake per unit time. Either that or metabolism is correlated with the degree of NE usage, yielding more consumed energy per thought. A lower metabolism would surely slow the mind, leading to less thoughts per unit time and also may indirectly lead to negative mindset/stress. Stress/pain can trigger a higher consumption of calories to hinder the pain, but also the opposite since stress is correlated with depression....which then limits the appetite....Since INTP have inferior Fe, stress will yield a strong emotional response, which can cause impulsive acts including overindulgence. Thus, it may not hold for an unhealthy INTP in this regard. I'd say in general, a high metabolism leads to a rapid firing of thoughts (for INTP) given Ne is well developed.

Now, I will note that there exists a contradiction in regards to INFJ being "Endomorph" based on the previous assertion that INFJ's are typically "very thin" (assume true for most cases and consider that specific subset). Endomorphy is proportional to metabolism, which is related to diet...If we suppose that INFJ's are more likely to consume fast food, then it is likely they will go through puberty later....Hence, growth plates will fuse later for both Males and Females leading to longer limbs relative to torso. Further, this effect combined with poor nutrient load will yield catabolism. Thus, "mesomorphy" is unlikely.... Now, given that INFJ's are very introspective and lack Se, it would be less likely that they would enjoy various foods (exploration)....so, food is likely consumed less regularly....This would in turn lead to ectomorphy ( < calorie load), however, fast food hinders metabolism more rapidly over time than a healthy diet....Hence, an INFJ may exhibit a more pronounced transition in regards to body type relative to other types.

There is definitely a correlation though, especially higher Se user tending towards mesomorphy/ectomorphy. Food is obtained via external means and initiates a stronger response to Si/Se types for differing reasons. A strong introvert is likely to be consumed in thought, which will negate physical awareness to an extent (esp Ti users). Aesthetics will appeal to sensor's (esp Se) relative to intuitive's....hence you can make the conjecture that intuitive are less likely to be mesomorphs (this would likely apply to Ne relative to Ni.....Ni will foresee that being well dresses and physically fit will accelerate their drive to success).

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting. I'm ectomorph. Used to think I was INTP, but I'm leaning more and more towards ISTJ lately.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

mbti2014.jpg

220px-Bodytypes.jpg

Ah, I am getting so many warm fuzzy memories about a guy on this site years and years ago (quite possibly the person who ran this somatotype site/created this chart) who was super hardcore into Somatotyping and was therefore adamant that I was IxTx. I am solidly ecto and can acquire muscle. I don't remember the specific type he insisted on. I think it was IxTJ or something, as he might have also been the same person who told me since I didn't take people-photos, I was a T. :dry: Not that I have an issue being a T, it's just the reasons/sense of it in both cases was ludicrous.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps the brain of an INTP consumes more glycogen, which increases the quantity of carbohydrates required to go beyond the thresh-hold of glycogen storage....Therefore, there is less likelihood of storing fat. Yet INTP's tend to be less likely to delve into physical activity, which implies less muscle-->less glycogen needed for muscle repair--> higher propensity for fat storage (relative to physically active case....Se user). Maybe, internalized thoughts causes a lack of awareness of time flow, which would cause an INTP to exhibit a sporadic eating schedule (gap between meals is not consistent)...This, in combination of Ne and lower Si would yield a larger gap between meals (-->distraction)....which in turn leads to less overall caloric intake per unit time. Either that or metabolism is correlated with the degree of NE usage, yielding more consumed energy per thought. A lower metabolism would surely slow the mind, leading to less thoughts per unit time and also may indirectly lead to negative mindset/stress. Stress/pain can trigger a higher consumption of calories to hinder the pain, but also the opposite since stress is correlated with depression....which then limits the appetite....Since INTP have inferior Fe, stress will yield a strong emotional response, which can cause impulsive acts including overindulgence. Thus, it may not hold for an unhealthy INTP in this regard. I'd say in general, a high metabolism leads to a rapid firing of thoughts (for INTP) given Ne is well developed.

Now, I will note that there exists a contradiction in regards to INFJ being "Endomorph" based on the previous assertion that INFJ's are typically "very thin" (assume true for most cases and consider that specific subset). Endomorphy is proportional to metabolism, which is related to diet...If we suppose that INFJ's are more likely to consume fast food, then it is likely they will go through puberty later....Hence, growth plates will fuse later for both Males and Females leading to longer limbs relative to torso. Further, this effect combined with poor nutrient load will yield catabolism. Thus, "mesomorphy" is unlikely.... Now, given that INFJ's are very introspective and lack Se, it would be less likely that they would enjoy various foods (exploration)....so, food is likely consumed less regularly....This would in turn lead to ectomorphy ( < calorie load), however, fast food hinders metabolism more rapidly over time than a healthy diet....Hence, an INFJ may exhibit a more pronounced transition in regards to body type relative to other types.

There is definitely a correlation though, especially higher Se user tending towards mesomorphy/ectomorphy. Food is obtained via external means and initiates a stronger response to Si/Se types for differing reasons. A strong introvert is likely to be consumed in thought, which will negate physical awareness to an extent (esp Ti users). Aesthetics will appeal to sensor's (esp Se) relative to intuitive's....hence you can make the conjecture that intuitive are less likely to be mesomorphs (this would likely apply to Ne relative to Ni.....Ni will foresee that being well dresses and physically fit will accelerate their drive to success).

Their are a few contradictions here too.
Considering it's not only width it's also hight. INFJ DO have Se as their fourth function. And all the ones I've seen are are in the middle between endomorph and mesomorph. They care for their shape but less likely to practice it than mesomorphs.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm ectomorphic for sure, so unless someone can convince me that I am an NTP, then I do not fit this pattern.

Anyway, yes - I do think there is something to phenotypical expression of personality type. I am leaning more toward personality being more nature than nurture lately (there is a ton of evidence for this). I have always, for my entire life, noticed physical similarities between people and been able to somewhat connect it to certain personality traits. But I am limited to what I know, meaning that someone has to remind me of someone else, and then I can make the connection (so I am limited by Si, and the more exposure I have, the greater network of Ne connections I can build). It's amazing what you can learn about a person if you just pay attention. For example, lefties don't raise their left eyebrow like righties do, rather they raise their right eyebrow. From this and also from exposure to someone who is ambidextrous, I've postulated that ambidextrous folks can, more often than others, do that weird thing where their are able to simultaneously raise both eyebrows into that deep V shape that not everyone can do (don't misunderstand me though and think that I am saying this is a 100% black and white occurrence, rather it's a spectrum with a higher percentage leaning to one side).

By the way, if you also naturally notice these things, you may want to consider being an Ne user, because you are observing abstract patterns in the external and forming many connections via similar internally stored sensory data points.

If you'd like to explore this more, I recommend looking into Objective Personality, even if you choose not to sign up for the class. This video touches on the similarities they have found through observation and objective analysis of thousands of people.

rav3n

Ah, I am getting so many warm fuzzy memories about a guy on this site years and years ago (quite possibly the person who ran this somatotype site/created this chart) who was super hardcore into Somatotyping and was therefore adamant that I was IxTx. I am solidly ecto and can acquire muscle. I don't remember the specific type he insisted on. I think it was IxTJ or something, as he might have also been the same person who told me since I didn't take people-photos, I was a T. :dry: Not that I have an issue being a T, it's just the reasons/sense of it in both cases was ludicrous.
Umm...yeah, reasoning was effed for sure, lol.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Types that contemplate often and internalize their thoughts tend to consume energy within, which most likely manifests as the projection of less outward energy (enthusiasm, exc). Conversely, types that actively seek external influence will outwardly project their energy in an expressive form. Further, externalized emotion will yield more variation in facial contraction, which can alter facial muscles over time (tension/ease).
that`s a good analyzing. I notice this but in a general manner. by the way, do all ISTJ have weak facial muscles. the ones I know are, and in general you can expect that because they don`t express many facial expressions.

I always get INTP if considering the questionnaire, yet I always question my type....A few of my weaknesses, however, are poor attention to details, lack of awareness to environment, uneasiness within large crowds, and constant misplacement of items....
you actually sound like a one considering your own description. but what part of INTP you feel that it doesn`t represent you?
have you tried going through cognitive functions in general, without overanalyzing? like how do you see your smile like Fe or Fi if we considered what`s written in this thread.
if MBTI is not helping you decide , you can see enneagram types. I`ll attach a link of how each enneagram type is correlated with certain cognitive functions or certain MBTI type. I`ll post it once I find it.
(if you`re interested in physical typology, there is this guy on youtube "type tips" does differentiating vid on that.
-->You're observation definitely holds with my brother (INFJ) who is a very picky eater and is careless in terms of health. I do believe fast food is a consequence because the taste buds adapt to extremes (high salt, high sugar, exc), which in turn causes a negative reaction to foods tending towards the other extreme.
if you want INFJ change their mind, make them interested. just make him interested in health, maybe through external stimulations or from their own health perspective. they become health-holic ,and vegetarians if extreme.lol

p.s: since you`re new here I`ll give advice on how to quote :D
copy-paste the [ ] and put each one before and after the part you need to separate to comment on.

[ QUOTE=hurl3y4456;3065627 ] before that part
[ /QUOTE ] at the end of that part

Last edited:

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm ectomorphic for sure, so unless someone can convince me that I am an NTP, then I do not fit this pattern.
this just 'proves' you`re ENFP. it`s between both ecto and endo, but 'most likely' of ENFPs are endo. or at least this is what this chart says. I still don`t think it`s 100% precise. but maybe has a high percentage or sth.

that weird thing where their are able to simultaneously raise both eyebrows into that deep V shape that not everyone can do
can you provide a picture of that 'weird' expression?

By the way, if you also naturally notice these things, you may want to consider being an Ne user, because you are observing abstract patterns in the external and forming many connections via similar internally stored sensory data points.
I`m Ni!! and sure of my type. it`s 2nd function so also relatively strong. and it`s natural since birth:huh: .

and something I learned recently is when you scan these external data through you previously stored internal data subconsciously, and come up with an idea, it`s introverted function thing. am I right?
extroverted function is coming up with an idea through you data from external observation.

(check out the Ne/Ni thread about predicting future Which function is able to make predictions well?)

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
that`s a good analyzing. I notice this but in a general manner. by the way, do all ISTJ have weak facial muscles. the ones I know are, and in general you can expect that because they don`t express many facial expressions.

Well, if a neutral emotion is present, then the facial muscles will be utilized less often in that regard, which can create a flat expression over time. Everyone exhibits emotions, however, low Fi users will confine the pressure build up over time whereas low Fe users will intermittently release negative energy depending on situation. If the pressure build up reaches the threshold, it will show itself at the surface. Another key factor in regards to facial muscles is hormones in general....Estrogen will relax (soften) the facial muscles, which will cause the eyes to open up more (but of course, prenatal hormones and genetics dictates bone structure, which dictates how the skin-muscle tissue will conform)....Conversely, lack of estrogen will cause the muscle/fat ratio to increase, which will permit more tension to develop.....Therefore, although smiling/frowning less will cause less muscles to develop for that particular reason, hormones will alter the degree in which this issue manifests.

you actually sound like a one considering your own description. but what part of INTP you feel that it doesn`t represent you?
have you tried going through cognitive functions in general, without overanalyzing? like how do you see your smile like Fe or Fi if we considered what`s written in this thread.
if MBTI is not helping you decide , you can see enneagram types. I`ll attach a link of how each enneagram type is correlated with certain cognitive functions or certain MBTI type. I`ll post it once I find it.
(if you`re interested in physical typology, there is this guy on youtube "type tips" does differentiating vid on that.

Let's see...as far as micro-expressions are concerned, I do tend to squint my eyes repeatedly when I'm processing information (initially I was unaware). Also, I do tend to have a wide smile that creates dimples (= genetic mutation), and my lips aren't really upturned much at all....I haven't really looked into this subset of typology yet, so you'd be better equipped to diagnose it. The test is subjective, so it's very easy to mistype....If I am truly an INTP, I'd be an atypical one due to my sensitivity to other's emotions.....But, there is a correlation between sensitivity and creativity or even madness (thoughts running haywire). I am type 5 in terms of enneagram ( I enjoyed creating math theorems and spent two weeks straight tackling the Goldbach Conjecture = 200 year old unsolved proof).

Also, I'm sure there is a correlation between the people you associate with and MBTI type since human connection is necessitated by the need to find individuals on the same wavelength. If this condition is not met, then a communication gap results....The few friends I do associate with frequently the following types: INFP, ENTP, and ENTJ. Further, if correlation exists between genetics and MBTI, my family member's types are as follows: younger bro = INFJ, older bro = ENTP, Mom = ESFP, and Dad = ESTJ. I believe there is some influence in regards to genetics, but environment clearly plays a large role since your identity is shaped via environmental stimulation from birth to adolescence.

rav3n

Wish I could find it again but it was a therapist(s) or psych researcher(s) who was mapping certain types of body movements with MBTI types. There were clips associated to the differences. Anyways, one example was that Te types evidence economy of movement and decisiveness. The Te type was juxtaposed against an F type, whose movements were more fluid and less decisive. And before someone jumps on the gender bandwagon, the two in the clip were male.