• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Physical traits and MBTI

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
.I haven't really looked into this subset of typology yet, so you'd be better equipped to diagnose it.
who said I was an expert :D I can subconsciously type people by expressions, or functions ONLY by observations. I rely on my instinct and Ni.

The test is subjective, so it's very easy to mistype....If I am truly an INTP, I'd be an atypical one due to my sensitivity to other's emotions.....But, there is a correlation between sensitivity and creativity or even madness (thoughts running haywire). I am type 5 in terms of enneagram ( I enjoyed creating math theorems and spent two weeks straight tackling the Goldbach Conjecture = 200 year old unsolved proof).
What do you think your wing is 4 or 6?

who said INTPs are insensitive?! Their fourth funtion is Fe so it's very much expected. But doesn't compare with a Fe dome or aux that's the common mistype and stereotypical thing about INTPs . I've never met an insensitive INTP in my life.
And I'm really inrerested in genetic's correlation to MBTI.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
What do you think your wing is 4 or 6?

who said INTPs are insensitive?! Their fourth funtion is Fe so it's very much expected. But doesn't compare with a Fe dome or aux that's the common mistype and stereotypical thing about INTPs . I've never met an insensitive INTP in my life.
And I'm really inrerested in genetic's correlation to MBTI.

I definitely relate to 5w4 than 5w6....mainly because my unconventional approach to scientific findings (Deviating from the Scientific Method approach: NOT performing literature reviews, locating multiple sources, exc), and overall sensitivity. In terms of probable type, that would leave me with ISTP and INTP (assuming Fe inferior)....I'd say INTJ's would likely be 5w6 considering they are more likely to stick to the scientific method due to Te usage. I'll have to dive deeper into enneagram types as I just recently gained interest in MBTI. The key to determine the genetic relationship is if you use brain mapping on identical twins separated at birth, then use it a second time after identity is formed to relate with MBTI type....The control case is for identical twins not separated at birth.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if I believe in the existence of somatotypes. I do believe our genetics predetermine how our bodies store fat and build muscle, but only to a small degree. Anyone can build muscle through frequent exercise/weight lifting/activation of those muscles. Some may have more trouble burning fat and losing weight due to metabolism, but that's largely governed by hormones and is a highly individual matter. To say you have to fit one of three body types seems very restrictive. I fit none of the types, myself.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This thread puts me in mind of burying a toad to make your warts go away.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I'm not sure if I believe in the existence of somatotypes. I do believe our genetics predetermine how our bodies store fat and build muscle, but only to a small degree. Anyone can build muscle through frequent exercise/weight lifting/activation of those muscles. Some may have more trouble burning fat and losing weight due to metabolism, but that's largely governed by hormones and is a highly individual matter. To say you have to fit one of three body types seems very restrictive. I fit none of the types, myself.

Yes, it's all dictated by the probability to tend a certain direction, however, there's so many other variables that come into play (metabolic disorders, conscientiousness hormones<-->motivation, exc). Higher Se users may exert more physical activity throughout their lifetime, hence burning more calories overall...Consider the following scenario: Take a subset of the population with similar metabolism, hormones, diet, exc. Suppose each mbti type occurs at the same frequency within the subset. The following conjecture can be made: Those with POLR Se have the propensity to tend toward endomorphism and those with dominant Se will tend toward ecto/meso-morphism.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, it's all dictated by the probability to tend a certain direction, however, there's so many other variables that come into play (metabolic disorders, conscientiousness hormones<-->motivation, exc). Higher Se users may exert more physical activity throughout their lifetime, hence burning more calories overall...Consider the following scenario: Take a subset of the population with similar metabolism, hormones, diet, exc. Suppose each mbti type occurs at the same frequency within the subset. The following conjecture can be made: Those with POLR Se have the propensity to tend toward endomorphism and those with dominant Se will tend toward ecto/meso-morphism.

If you say so!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the body type + MBTI type chart, it definitely suits me. I am/was definitely ectomorphy (I am a 6 foot tall person, and grew up very lanky) but I am also slightly more "fleshed out" than other ectomorphs. I got broader shoulders, and more firm stance I suppose. so that makes me just a smidge mesomorphy. I used to be the person that never put on weight, but shifted when I started drinking.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm in the middle of mesomorph and ectomorph. Pretty thin, but I actually have muscular structure to it. Not like a traditionally skinny person like the stereotype would be. Lanky. I never really put on weight other than muscle tone. Idk what that has to do with my type. I suppose it's common with NTP's idk.

Whatthefluff

I have found that a lot of INFPs like having long hair, especially long layered hair, myself included.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have found that a lot of INFPs like having long hair, especially long layered hair, myself included.

that`s really weird ! my INFP friends ALL of them have exceptionally looong hair. since you`re a one, why do you think is that?

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm in the middle of mesomorph and ectomorph. Pretty thin, but I actually have muscular structure to it. Not like a traditionally skinny person like the stereotype would be. Lanky. I never really put on weight other than muscle tone. Idk what that has to do with my type. I suppose it's common with NTP's idk.

yes I think it has sth to do with your type, at least in my experience, I`ve always noticed that about ENTPs in particular they are generally thin but with good muscle distribution to it. I think the stereotypical thin, lanky person is more suited to INTPs in general.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
this thread is mostly for fun, not a very scientific one though:D. from your personal observations, have you ever noticed a certain MBTI type sharing the same physical features, posture, or weirdly, common illnesses (not psychological).

i especially found some types to be extremely thin since childhood and others more prone for weight gain. or certain postural patterns like hunch back or forward neck.

or any kind of feature that makes you doubt that this person`s type migh be xxxx. most likely, these features would be related with cognitive functions, as we know.(of your into that side of typing)

Oh, a ton. INFJ males (maybe INTJ also) tend to be straight backed, a little rigid in movement, not much arm movement or swivel when walking. Feet straight out in front. They also have deep-set eyes. And slim, not a lot of muscle mass. Small, serious mouths which open up into a wide smile when amused.

ENFPs tend to have athletic, mesomorphic physiques. Medium height.

INTP males tend to be tall and slim (ectomorphic), with a looseness in their movement.

Intuitives tend to have a more delicate bone structure than Sensors, who are more robust physically. Sensors in general have more muscular physiques.

Intuitives tend to have deeper set eyes than Sensors, who often have no depth of "set" at all, with eyes flat at face level - the reasoning for this is obvious, when you consider their respective modes of perception and what kind of information theyre each looking for.

Feeling types tend to put on fat a bit easier than thinking types. More endomorphs to be found among feeling types.

INFP males sway between mesomorphy and endomorphy. Basically robust, fairly muscular, but can get chubby easily.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Oh, a ton. INFJ males (maybe INTJ also) tend to be straight backed, a little rigid in movement, not much arm movement or swivel when walking. Feet straight out in front. They also have deep-set eyes. And slim, not a lot of muscle mass. Small, serious mouths which open up into a wide smile when amused.

ENFPs tend to have athletic, mesomorphic physiques. Medium height.

INTP males tend to be tall and slim (ectomorphic), with a looseness in their movement.

Intuitives tend to have a more delicate bone structure than Sensors, who are more robust physically. Sensors in general have more muscular physiques.

Intuitives tend to have deeper set eyes than Sensors, who often have no depth of "set" at all, with eyes flat at face level - the reasoning for this is obvious, when you consider their respective modes of perception and what kind of information theyre each looking for.

Feeling types tend to put on fat a bit easier than thinking types. More endomorphs to be found among feeling types.

INFP males sway between mesomorphy and endomorphy. Basically robust, fairly muscular, but can get chubby easily.

Hence people with excessive growth hormones tend to be "intuitive." As you know, GH promotes protruding brow bone, which facilitates deep set eyes. I believe deep set eyes are a genetically adaptive trait induced as a function of humidity....Higher latitudes have lower humidity, so it should follow that over time, people accustomed to higher latitudes will have deeper set eyes to protect eyes from drying out via wind and colder air. Now, Africans do not often have deep set eyes relative to whites, yet I know quite a few who are very intuitive and empathetic (especially Ni users). The environment has the largest influence on the physical (which is why we have multiple races)....Yet, it will follow in the future that the race disparity will reduce due to globalization. It takes years of adaptation to environmental stimulus to alter genetics in such a way that divergence occurs. The mind/brain which controls perception/mindset/intuition is a function of genetics in terms of behavioral patterns. The expression of genetics is a function of personality meaning that the decisions/paths that you follow over time will alter the coding to a degree. This in turn may influence the physicality to a degree, but divergence will be subtle.

Now, suppose for now on, a virus infects everyone, which causes excess GH. This in turn causes the bones/tissue to grow/expand abnormally, which implies the position of eye relative to brow is deeper set. Would the ratio of intuitive to sensor's increase because everyone now has deeper set eyes? If it tends in that direction, the proportion must increase....Yet, growth hormones is not the precursor to intuition....(the state of mind is)...So, the disagreement here is that the modes of perception causes this relation...The mind gathers info by differing modes of perception (yes), but the direction/focus is drawn from the mind/subconscious, not the eyes. Ni is the main function that causes less awareness to environmental details, however, the mind is still mapping important data points in space that feeds the subconscious...If you are drawn inward to the subconscious, the mapping occurs from the electrical circuit network that connects the brain. It's a metaphysical reaction such that the eyes are outside of influence.

I agree with the other points athleticism, exc). It would make sense that intuitives tend to be less athletic, which promotes less bone density... Perhaps intutives do have more growth hormones on avg, so the relation that you observed (intutives tend to have deeper set eyes) could be true for this reason....The reason for this would be that intuitive's would eat less frequently. Eating more frequently promotes increase rate of surge in blood sugar over time and increased stress on liver....Fasting/not eating for longer periods promotes surges in HGH, which facilitates bone/tissue growth, perhaps as a survivial mechanism (HGH increases energy and muscle/fat ratio, which would increase probability of obtaining food). Now intuitives tend to be sedentary, so this would negate surges due to exercise relative to sensor's, but there could be a relation here.

Lastly, what if genetics have a larger role in mbti than we've come to believe...That is, if parent's mbti type is x,y then the children's mbti types will be restricted to x or y....yet, there will exists variance among the function expression. Now, let's suppose that once the environment causes evolution of mbti type over time within generations, it takes a change in environmental conditions to induce divergence from mbti type. So, if parents decide to move to a totally different environment, the future generations will experience changes in mbti type over time. Therefore, if INTP's were conditioned over time due to mentally stimulating/creatively driven environment and such environmental conditions imposed a weaker physical structure...then it follows that the genetics that express physical traits would be mapped onto future generations given that the environmental stimulus is maintained....Now, if you think of it, an INTP would theoretically require less testosterone because the mind is exerting energy to find novel solutions...So, sexual activity would be repressed to increase the odds of finding the solutions...Why would the body utilize energy for a need that is being repressed over time?

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hence people with excessive growth hormones tend to be "intuitive." As you know, GH promotes protruding brow bone, which facilitates deep set eyes. I believe deep set eyes are a genetically adaptive trait induced as a function of humidity....Higher latitudes have lower humidity, so it should follow that over time, people accustomed to higher latitudes will have deeper set eyes to protect eyes from drying out via wind and colder air. Now, Africans do not often have deep set eyes relative to whites, yet I know quite a few who are very intuitive and empathetic (especially Ni users). The environment has the largest influence on the physical (which is why we have multiple races)....Yet, it will follow in the future that the race disparity will reduce due to globalization. It takes years of adaptation to environmental stimulus to alter genetics in such a way that divergence occurs. The mind/brain which controls perception/mindset/intuition is a function of genetics in terms of behavioral patterns. The expression of genetics is a function of personality meaning that the decisions/paths that you follow over time will alter the coding to a degree. This in turn may influence the physicality to a degree, but divergence will be subtle.

Now, suppose for now on, a virus infects everyone, which causes excess GH. This in turn causes the bones/tissue to grow/expand abnormally, which implies the position of eye relative to brow is deeper set. Would the ratio of intuitive to sensor's increase because everyone now has deeper set eyes? If it tends in that direction, the proportion must increase....Yet, growth hormones is not the precursor to intuition....(the state of mind is)...So, the disagreement here is that the modes of perception causes this relation...The mind gathers info by differing modes of perception (yes), but the direction/focus is drawn from the mind/subconscious, not the eyes. Ni is the main function that causes less awareness to environmental details, however, the mind is still mapping important data points in space that feeds the subconscious...If you are drawn inward to the subconscious, the mapping occurs from the electrical circuit network that connects the brain. It's a metaphysical reaction such that the eyes are outside of influence.

I agree with the other points athleticism, exc). It would make sense that intuitives tend to be less athletic, which promotes less bone density... Perhaps intutives do have more growth hormones on avg, so the relation that you observed (intutives tend to have deeper set eyes) could be true for this reason....The reason for this would be that intuitive's would eat less frequently. Eating more frequently promotes increase rate of surge in blood sugar over time and increased stress on liver....Fasting/not eating for longer periods promotes surges in HGH, which facilitates bone/tissue growth, perhaps as a survivial mechanism (HGH increases energy and muscle/fat ratio, which would increase probability of obtaining food). Now intuitives tend to be sedentary, so this would negate surges due to exercise relative to sensor's, but there could be a relation here.

Lastly, what if genetics have a larger role in mbti than we've come to believe...That is, if parent's mbti type is x,y then the children's mbti types will be restricted to x or y....yet, there will exists variance among the function expression. Now, let's suppose that once the environment causes evolution of mbti type over time within generations, it takes a change in environmental conditions to induce divergence from mbti type. So, if parents decide to move to a totally different environment, the future generations will experience changes in mbti type over time. Therefore, if INTP's were conditioned over time due to mentally stimulating/creatively driven environment and such environmental conditions imposed a weaker physical structure...then it follows that the genetics that express physical traits would be mapped onto future generations given that the environmental stimulus is maintained....Now, if you think of it, an INTP would theoretically require less testosterone because the mind is exerting energy to find novel solutions...So, sexual activity would be repressed to increase the odds of finding the solutions...Why would the body utilize energy for a need that is being repressed over time?

Yes... I cant speak on hormones and stuff, not my area of expertise. But the depth of eye settlement (??) is a pattern I've noticed. It also applies to introverts and extroverts. Basically Se doms have some of the most flat-set eyes, while Ni doms have some of the most deep set. This makes sense to me when considering that Se is a conscious form of perception where the user is scanning their environment in an active dynamic manner, while Ni is an unconscious form of perception where information is gathered in a passive, indirect manner. Eyes thrust forward in the former, eyes set back to receive in the latter.

[Edit] Im not saying the mode of perception causes the placement of the eyes, but the eyes are certainly a reflection of it. There is presumably some causation in there somewhere, maybe greater light absorption in flat set eyes... just hypothesising tho.

And yes, your comment about INTPs requiring less testosterone rings true. All types use and direct energy differently for different purposes, so that will be reflected in their physique. Intuitives having finer features and being lighter built may relate to a more responsive nervous system - this also explains the greater tendency towards neuroticism in intuitives.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Yes... I cant speak on hormones and stuff, not my area of expertise. But the depth of eye settlement (??) is a pattern I've noticed. It also applies to introverts and extroverts. Basically Se doms have some of the most flat-set eyes, while Ni doms have some of the most deep set. This makes sense to me when considering that Se is a conscious form of perception where the user is scanning their environment in an active dynamic manner, while Ni is an unconscious form of perception where information is gathered in a passive, indirect manner. Eyes thrust forward in the former, eyes set back to receive in the latter.

[Edit] Im not saying the mode of perception causes the placement of the eyes, but the eyes are certainly a reflection of it. There is presumably some causation in there somewhere, maybe greater light absorption in flat set eyes... just hypothesising tho.

And yes, your comment about INTPs requiring less testosterone rings true. All types use and direct energy differently for different purposes, so that will be reflected in their physique. Intuitives having finer features and being lighter built may relate to a more responsive nervous system - this also explains the greater tendency towards neuroticism in intuitives.

Yeah, that could be possible and makes sense when considering the opportunity to receive max stimulus/input if the sockets are not protruding outward (in respect to Se dominants). So, if the eyes focus on scanning the environment at a higher frequency over time, then the eyes may adjust such that sensory intake is reduced (since that process is repressed). If this holds true (since bone structure is predominately pre-set at birth), then genetics mainly pre-determine mbti function development, and environmental factors may shift function development over time between generations. So, if parents M1 and F1 were intuitive's (hence having protruding structure pre-set at birth as a consequence) and were exposed to an environment that required sensing adaption to permit survival, then it follows over time that the proceedings generations would have less protrusion (intuitive-->sensing).

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Yeah, that could be possible and makes sense when considering the opportunity to receive max stimulus/input if the sockets are not protruding outward (in respect to Se dominants). So, if the eyes focus on scanning the environment at a higher frequency over time, then the eyes may adjust such that sensory intake is reduced (since that process is repressed). If this holds true (since bone structure is predominately pre-set at birth), then genetics mainly pre-determine mbti function development, and environmental factors may shift function development over time between generations. So, if parents M1 and F1 were intuitive's (hence having protruding structure pre-set at birth as a consequence) and were exposed to an environment that required sensing adaption to permit survival, then it follows over time that the proceedings generations would have less protrusion (intuitive-->sensing).

This would hold for introverted intuitive's as you mentioned (introverted based functions), but not for all cases (most tend to have a good mix of intuition and sensing, hence not tending toward extremes...So, perhaps the relation is strong at the extremes). My Mom (supposively ENFP) has deep set eyes and uses Ni often, but it's superficial and negative...She was anorexic when young, which is indicative of extreme attention to detail (defects more noticeable). Now, could the cosmetic/steroid industry coupled with social media influence reduce the proportion of intuitives? There is no doubt that we are becoming more non-verbal and visually orientated...Spending more time at gym or using makeup allows us to pay more attention to minute details/defects, which creates insecurity. To compensate, we keep putting energy toward these acts to keep up with the increasing competition....cause otherwise, insecurities would penetrate deeper.