User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so
    Socionics
    --- None

Default MBTI and NEUROESTHETICS: How the different types perceive the beauty?

i was reading about neuroesthetics, a relatively recent sub-discipline of empirical aesthetics that study how our brain perceive beauty and activate some of its areas when we experience a certain aesthetic experience. It was discovered that objective and subjective beauty are both abstract categories who activate different areas of our brain. Plus, when we see something we find beautiful are activated mirror neurons who makes us empathize with the artwork or any beautiful object.. It seems like beauty makes us more empathetic. There's a problem, though: we still don't know if the judging function of beauty anticipates the process of perception, or the beauty perception is a spontaneus process. I though, what if our perception of beauty is influenced by our subjective way to perceive life with cognitive functions? Do you think it would be right or beauty is a category who's perceived the same by everyone? how much subjective personality influence this process? What do you think about it? (i hope it's clear, i'm not an english speaker, yet) Have a good day ;-)
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

What's the difference between subjective beauty and objective beauty?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What's the difference between subjective beauty and objective beauty?
    I suppose objective beauty applies to the societal or cultural ideals of beauty whereas subjective beauty is specific to the individual's perception. You can gather a dozen people into a room, show them a rose and they'll probably all agree that a rose is beautiful, but if you took those same dozen people into a room with many different types of flowers and ask them which is the most beautiful then you'll see differences.
    "No human being is ever beyond redemption. The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists. How to support that possibility in others & in ourselves is the ultimate question.”

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by notmyapples View Post
    I suppose objective beauty applies to the societal or cultural ideals of beauty whereas subjective beauty is specific to the individual's perception. You can gather a dozen people into a room, show them a rose and they'll probably all agree that a rose is beautiful, but if you took those same dozen people into a room with many different types of flowers and ask them which is the most beautiful then you'll see differences.
    I would think that the difference would be whether the beauty is contained in the object ("that object contains the quality of beauty"), or if the beauty is something that it arises in the subject ("I have an inner sense of beauty when viewing that object").

Objectivity, at least where beauty is concerned, shouldn't be about what other people/society think. It may even be that the same object has objective beauty for one person but not another. The phenomenology in itself should be distinct.